R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Boost leak from back of valve cover

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 08:33 AM
psymonp@gmail.com
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boost leak from back of valve cover

Hello,

So I've spent the past month fixing pretty much every weak link of my forced induction loop. I've made a psi tester that goes in place of my air filter.

Just yesterday I deleted my bpv because that was leaking and now I have air coming out from the back of the valve cover just over the header.

Is it because of where my air pressure is being introduced? Or is it my PVC valve? Any ideas? I'd really like to get my car running well again.

Old 10-22-2016, 12:24 PM
Racingguy04
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
If you have air blowing out the back of your valve cover, it should have nothing to do with your boost/intake. I'd bet that your PCV is shot and not letting the pressure out of the motor. You also probably have a cracked valve cover or a failed valve cover gasket.

The valve cover is kind of pricey at 250ish, but the gaskets are more like 50ish (I think)

the only other thing I can think of is when you deleted your bpv maybe you hooked things up weird so you're blowing some air into your motor. I've never heard of anyone deleting a BPV so that's a question mark in my mind.

Old 10-22-2016, 12:45 PM
Richard Davis
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a '12 JCW Clubman with the N14 motor. I had an issue with the little fitting off the back of the valve cover springing a leak. Come to find out that the top edge of the heat shield on my K&N Typhoon CAI had sliced into it causing the leak. Since I live about 10 miles from the K&N Engineering shop, used my car to redesign the heat shield, and gave me a brand new CAI, and installed it as well. They also they paid for the entire repair, I don't know if this is related to your issue, but if you know anyone that has this CAI on their N14 motor, best to get the word out. Chances are K&N will replace it for free.