Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Headlight adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 05:42 PM
kinneygeer@gmail.com
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlight adjustment

OK so before anyone says search the forum I have! I took my mini to bmw to have them adjust the headlights and they are better now but I want them a little bit higher and more straight but the adjustment screws are maxed out height wise and if I move the beam in toward where the center of the car is it lowers my beam and then I can't raise it anymore. I have a 2005 R53 with xenon lights from factory. Please get back to me asap please.

Old 09-28-2016, 01:40 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...eadlights.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-28-2016, 01:43 PM
kinneygeer@gmail.com
1st Gear
Yea I already read that post. My problem is is that my screws ate maxed out and I can't adjust them anymore

Old 09-28-2016, 01:52 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Huh, are they mounted in the hood correctly, did one of the auto level sensors brackets get bent ?

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ight-help.html

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...turned-on.html

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-28-2016, 02:07 PM
kinneygeer@gmail.com
1st Gear
Where are the fuses for these located and I have noticed that mine do not move when I turn on the lights

Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Huh, are they mounted in the hood correctly, did one of the auto level sensors brackets get bent ?

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ight-help.html

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...turned-on.html

Old 09-28-2016, 02:14 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Check the driver side footwell and the small box on the driver side engine bay, just to make sure the fuses are all good.

Old 09-28-2016, 02:25 PM
kinneygeer@gmail.com
1st Gear
Should I adjust the elevation of the headlights so just in case it is the fast it won't over correct and strip anything out? Also thank you very much for your prompt responses, it is very much appreciated.

Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Check the driver side footwell and the small box on the driver side engine bay, just to make sure the fuses are all good.

Old 09-28-2016, 02:42 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
If you don't see them dip the go up when you turn them on, sounds like the auto adjust is broken...
Mostjust do what you do...adjust them as high as they will go...till you spend the $$ to fix it...that's about it unless you want to try to shim the housing and mounting holes to do further adjustments.

Old 09-28-2016, 02:45 PM
kinneygeer@gmail.com
1st Gear
Wield question I know but when u shut the hood is the headlight supposed to shake?

Originally Posted by ZippyNH
If you don't see them dip the go up when you turn them on, sounds like the auto adjust is broken...
Mostjust do what you do...adjust them as high as they will go...till you spend the $$ to fix it...that's about it unless you want to try to shim the housing and mounting holes to do further adjustments.

Old 09-28-2016, 03:22 PM
HaltCatchFire
3rd Gear
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by kinneygeer@gmail.com
Wield question I know but when u shut the hood is the headlight supposed to shake?
Wouldn't mind knowing that myself. My right HL shakes but the left doesn't.

Old 09-28-2016, 03:51 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
Check to make sure the ball and socket didn't pop loose inside the headlight housing. It can happen from hitting a big bump or slamming the hood too hard. Sometimes you can pop it back into place without taking the headlight apart.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:23 PM
kinneygeer@gmail.com
1st Gear
How do u check and see if the ball is attached? Also I don't think mine has a self adjusting mechanism, I don't see a **** inside to adjust it? It's a 2005 mcs

Old 09-29-2016, 09:56 AM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
You should be able to take the cover off of the back of the headlight and see the ball and socket assembly. There are a few posts about this issue, but here is a possible fix without removing the lens to take the headlight apart.

Originally Posted by CLMINIR53
I just thought I'd update my situation and share what I did to fix the problem. After reading the information on this website regarding drooping Xenon lights, I decided to work at the problem. The fix turns out to be quite easy and doesn't require removal of the headlamp nor any special tools to reconnect the ball and sockets.

Step 1 - Unplug the lamp wiring harness from the head lamp assembly (will also need to squeeze the cable retainer to get that disconnected) and also disconnect the washer fluid hose from the headlamp washer pump mechanism so you can get the rear access panel open.

Step 2 - Open and remove the rear access panel to enable grabbing hold of the orange Xenon igniter box. For me, just pulling on the igniter box would not get the ball and sockets reseated.

Step 3 - Open the side access cover/panel. A slight twist is all that is needed. You will use this to get a long, large flat bladed screwdriver to apply some pressure on the top of the sockets while you are pulling on the igniter box. I put some cloth tape around the blade of the screw driver to give it some friction and limit any damage that might be done if it slipped.

Step 4 - While pulling down on the igniter, I applied pressure to the blade of the screwdriver situated on top of the top socket. It did not require a lot of pressure. When it reseats you fill feel a little snap as the ball and socket rejoin.

Step 5- Again while pulling down on the igniter, I applied pressure to the blade of the screw driver situated on the lower socket until I felt the ball/socket snap back into place.

Step 6 - Close up the side and rear cover/panels. Reconnect the washeer fluid tube and plug in the wiring harness.

Step 7 - Test. Lights should go through their leveling routine and no drooping.
All factory xenons have auto adjusters as I think this is a Federal requirement. There are two level sensors, one on the front control arm and one on the upper rear control arm. I think they are both on the drivers side. If the headlights are good, I would check these out next.

Old 09-29-2016, 10:50 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Yea I believe itw white nylon in color and it will snap into the socket. I have seen them pop out when people slam the hoods shut or the headlight was bumped in a wreak. Also on slammed / stiff suspension cars that go over bumps.

Old 09-29-2016, 01:02 PM
fd3toe46
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes if your light(s) shake when closing the hood they are most likely popped out of the ball socket. Mine was like that when we first bought the Mini...I easily fixed it after reading a thread somewhere on here. Since I've fixed the problem I don't slam the hood anymore...I just gently lower hood and then press down on top of the brackets to lock them.

That's the procedure on post#13...once you open all the available covers you'll see how the light is supposed to be attached to the ball joint and push it back in.

Last edited by fd3toe46; 09-29-2016 at 01:09 PM.