R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 A shout out for Stiegemeyer supercharger rebuilding

Old 09-16-2016, 08:20 PM
David.R53
5th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
A shout out for Stiegemeyer supercharger rebuilding

A story with a happy ending for a change... ending the week on a high note!

I've been chasing some noises for a couple of years - working through my rocker arm problem, then a cam problem, but never quite got rid of the noise. Finally convinced myself it was the supercharger and pulled it off and sent it in to Steiegemeyer Porting. $795 for full rebuild. Added $100 for porting service . They promised to check the PTO gears and would replace them if the existing gears weren't perfect. Nicely coated gears.

Got it back and all buttoned up, and it sounds awesome now.
All borla exhaust and supercharger winding up when I get on it. No more clatter and rattle.

Recognize that I am biased in my perceptions, but I think that the bottom end is definitely stronger, and of course it just sings at higher rpms.

It also doesn't bog down with the AC on at idle anymore. So, for those of you with cars that struggle with the AC at idle, consider that as a possible sign you need a supercharger rebuild.

Last edited by David.R53; 09-17-2016 at 07:27 AM.
Old 09-17-2016, 06:57 AM
Shawnnn
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That's where I sent mine to get rebuilt 3 years ago.

Didn't notice any difference in power, I didnt opt for the porting, but maybe I should have

The service was great too. Very fast turn around, they called me when they received it, and started working on it immediately.

Old 09-17-2016, 08:55 AM
Fir3Chi3f
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wholy crud! I was in St Charles some time ago! Had no idea there was a place like this out there. Bookmarked Stiegemeier's site for when I get mine redone

Old 11-22-2016, 01:22 PM
GoThingNC
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Sweet !!

My SC is getting quite noisy and I have a lead for a used local SC with 70,000 miles on it from an 06 MCS for $500 and I spotted your post before pulling the trigger.

So do I go the rebuild route or pick up the used one for $500 and sell my old one as a core?
I only plan on keeping the Mini for a few more years.

Old 11-22-2016, 06:45 PM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
From everything I have read......having the SC ported is a waste of money. It doesn't do a thing to improve flow, efficiency, or boost.

...just saying.....

Old 11-29-2016, 06:47 PM
Gustav129
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's what I've read too. If there were flow tests/charts like heads, then I'd be fore porting/polishing.

Old 01-30-2017, 03:44 PM
chicolean83
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by David.R53
A story with a happy ending for a change... ending the week on a high note!

I've been chasing some noises for a couple of years - working through my rocker arm problem, then a cam problem, but never quite got rid of the noise. Finally convinced myself it was the supercharger and pulled it off and sent it in to Steiegemeyer Porting. $795 for full rebuild. Added $100 for porting service . They promised to check the PTO gears and would replace them if the existing gears weren't perfect. Nicely coated gears.

Got it back and all buttoned up, and it sounds awesome now.
All borla exhaust and supercharger winding up when I get on it. No more clatter and rattle.

Recognize that I am biased in my perceptions, but I think that the bottom end is definitely stronger, and of course it just sings at higher rpms.

It also doesn't bog down with the AC on at idle anymore. So, for those of you with cars that struggle with the AC at idle, consider that as a possible sign you need a supercharger rebuild.
I also had mine ported and polished and you do feel the difference up top! When I put my clutch and lsd in at Maitland importers in Orlando, the mechanic asked if I did anything to the supercharger!

Old 01-30-2017, 05:39 PM
PinkLinc
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
45k miles on my ported Steiegemeyer rebuild so far. Those guys are A-OK in my book.

Old 02-01-2017, 12:04 PM
madmike007
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you already have a JCW super charger (which is already coated and ported), do they port beyond the JCW spec, or is the porting option to bring stock sc up to JCW spec?

Old 02-01-2017, 12:32 PM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Originally Posted by madmike007
If you already have a JCW super charger (which is already coated and ported), do they port beyond the JCW spec, or is the porting option to bring stock sc up to JCW spec?
The JCW superchargers are not ported......they have a coating on the rotors, and that's it. Basically the same as a standard S supercharger.

Old 02-01-2017, 12:41 PM
chicolean83
2nd Gear
To my best knowledge the Jcw is not ported form factory it does come with the teflon coating on the rotors. I do know from my own experience with this company porting service, is that you def feel the difference. The car just pulls very hard from just above 3k till redline. I feel with a tune and headers and exhaust, it will def wake up the motor. Prior to getting the rebuild i did have a smaller 16% pulley which felt great. I decided to do the complete package with the port and polish and it still has me smiling years later!

Old 02-01-2017, 01:26 PM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chicolean83
To my best knowledge the Jcw is not ported form factory it does come with the teflon coating on the rotors. I do know from my own experience with this company porting service, is that you def feel the difference. The car just pulls very hard from just above 3k till redline. I feel with a tune and headers and exhaust, it will def wake up the motor. Prior to getting the rebuild i did have a smaller 16% pulley which felt great. I decided to do the complete package with the port and polish and it still has me smiling years later!
How many psi did you gain after the port job?

Old 02-01-2017, 01:40 PM
madmike007
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by IQRaceworks
The JCW superchargers are not ported......they have a coating on the rotors, and that's it. Basically the same as a standard S supercharger.
Thanks for the clarity! I just sent my JCW SC off to Stiegemeyer for rebuild. Now I know to add porting.

Old 02-01-2017, 01:56 PM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Anyone have a dyno sheet showing before and after posting hp and tq numbers? Just wondering because all of the stuff I've seen online says its a waste. There are some pretty technical reports out there talking about how the Eaton SC won't benefit from porting.

I like hard facts....not just butt dyno numbers.

Old 02-01-2017, 01:58 PM
chicolean83
2nd Gear
How many psi did you gain after the port job?
You know i never got my car dynoed yet. Once i get the Rmw Bvh i def will. Maybe before because i do want to run the Rmw headers with miltek exhaust and 450 injectors.

Old 02-01-2017, 05:58 PM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chicolean83
You know i never got my car dynoed yet. Once i get the Rmw Bvh i def will. Maybe before because i do want to run the Rmw headers with miltek exhaust and 450 injectors.
That's not really going to tell you what (if any) power the ported SC added if you dyno it after also adding a BVH, headers, exhaust, injectors, and a tune

I'm not saying a ported SC doesn't add power......I've just never seen any proof of it. My SC will need rebuild in a few years, so if poring helps....I would like to know. If not, I'll save my money.

Old 02-01-2017, 06:26 PM
chicolean83
2nd Gear
That's not really going to tell you what (if any) power the ported SC added if you dyno it after also adding a BVH, headers, exhaust, injectors, and a tune

I'm not saying a ported SC doesn't add power......I've just never seen any proof of it. My SC will need rebuild in a few years, so if poring helps....I would like to know. If not, I'll save my money.
Of course i know that lol. I was just saying that because i have never dynoed my car yet. I i think that the time i would, at the minimum, is when i do the big mods, or at the very least, the mods that require a tune such as the 450 injectors. I just got off the subject.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:42 PM
KevinR
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The only true method of determining whether or not porting added power would be to dyno a car with a brand new supercharger, replace it with a supercharger that has been rebuilt and ported, then measure the difference (if any).

Any other method will introduce too many variables.

Old 02-05-2017, 06:24 PM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Yep....I completely agree. And since the R53's have been around for 15 years....and there is no dyno data showing that porting does any good, I'm going to say that its a safe bet that it's a waste of money. It should tell you something when the guys who are making a solid 250+ hp don't bother wasting money on SC porting....but will spend thousands on a BVH, cam, header and exhaust, custom tunes...on and on..