R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 The $1,800 03 Cooper S adventure...

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 09:54 AM
KnighTT
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All you need to know about a Mini is in those ^^^ facial expressions.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:48 AM
KnighTT
2nd Gear
Working with VHT Nite Shades - quick tip...

Put on several LIGHT coats. Do not put on a wet layer. Just fine light coats.

Why, because if the particles start to bond together enough, the finish starts to look, as it dries, like it is cracking. It kinda is. It is as if it actually softens the plastic and pulls away. Creating a physical crack like depression in the material, plus a void of VHT smoke material that now you can see. I think this is why in the past people complain about it looking like the material cracks after applied. Yes and no.

You cannot coat over it. Doesn't work. You literally have to strip the piece down, wet sand back to smooth, including the plastic, and start over.

Then any clear coat over the top. You can apply normally in this step. Then the tedious process of wet sand, polish, and wax. Looks great when done right. Like black glass.

I actually love VHT products. They go on reaaaly smooth, the spray nozzle is the best I have ever seen on a rattle car, and the spray pattern is perfect. Pricey stuff, but a great result. Plus I always feel like the can lasts a lot longer than other products.

I plan on using VHT for my wheels. Thinking a satin black. Until I move up to a new set of wheels.

Old 08-12-2016, 02:54 AM
mister.t
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KnighTT
All you need to know about a Mini is in those ^^^ facial expressions.
Absolutely That's what it's all about

Look forward to seeing your progress

Old 08-12-2016, 09:35 AM
KnighTT
2nd Gear
Sweet. My engine has arrive in Alaska.

Now just to drop it on a truck and get it to my garage. Guess I better fire up the interwebs and start ordering the next round of parts.

ARP head bolts first priority.

I think I am going to fully rebuild the spare head and put it up for sale. No reason to keep it laying around. If anyone is interested, let me know.

Tail lights are almost done and ready for the reveal. I think they are coming out pretty sick, but I need to see them back on the car and polished to a new shine before I'll know.

I'm running out of things to smoke, black out, and paint red. THis engine needs to get here!

Old 08-12-2016, 09:40 AM
KnighTT
2nd Gear
Old 08-12-2016, 12:48 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
R53 Head Bolts

"ARP Cylinder Head Stud conversion kit with studs and 12 point nuts.

Fits:
2002-2006 R50 MINI Cooper and R53 Cooper S Hatchbacks
2005-2008 R52 MINI Cooper and Cooper S Convertibles
It is for good reason that virtually every top professional engine builder relies on ARP Pro Series head studs for their all-out competition powerplants. Simply stated, there's not a better stud setup on the market today."

http://new.minimania.com/part/NME107...rp-R50-R52-R53

Hope this helps!

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.

Old 08-12-2016, 02:13 PM
Racingguy04
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by mister.t
Great thread, will be watching with interest

Your R53 is very similar to mine, though I have since put different wheels on mine

What wheels did you go with? I have the same color mini, minus the stripes and I've still got the stock 17 inch wheels. I like the 17's but I wish they were lighter.

Old 08-12-2016, 03:08 PM
KnighTT
2nd Gear
I've got the S Lites as well. I'll just be refinishing them and going with a satin black with some red highlights.

Once I get back down to ATL, I'll look into suspension and lighter 17's.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:57 AM
mister.t
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Racingguy04
What wheels did you go with? I have the same color mini, minus the stripes and I've still got the stock 17 inch wheels. I like the 17's but I wish they were lighter.
Went to 16" X-Lites. Probably not everyones first choice, but I've always liked these wheels, and I think the white works well with the white roof & stripes. I'm also in a minority in preffering bigger sidewalls and smaller wheels, though the state of the UK roads made the decision easier...

They're about 3.5kg per corner lighter than the S-Lites, plus the difference in tyre weight. The car has been transformed in the way it drives, it now rides way better (I'm still on Sports Suspension +), corners better, and the steering has been improved massively. I also think they look much, much nicer than the S Spokes, I've never been a fan.

I also went for a slightly different size than standard, I went for 205/50 rather than 195/55. I don't have any up-close pictures, but it looks just right in my opinion.

** Sorry for the thread hijack KnighTT Look forward to seeing what you're going to do with the rear lights!

Old 08-15-2016, 09:17 AM
Racingguy04
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
Haha, I was on those wheels for 10 years and now use them for my snow tires, they are noticeably lighter than the s lites and not bad looking. I do appreciate the extra sidewall's effect on ride but the handling of the low profile sidewalls are too good to pass up. Maybe some low profile tires on 16 inch s lites would be good... Oh well more to think about. Now where's that engine install update. 😉

Old 08-15-2016, 09:51 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
I believe my 15" wheels handle better than my 17", the 15s have more sidewall to but they seem to grip better

Old 08-15-2016, 10:26 AM
KnighTT
2nd Gear
Those actually do compliment the car well. Soon, I will be getting into the loooong road and million options of trying to decide what wheels I want for the car.

I'm going to be tracking this at Road Atlanta as often as possible, so I will be aiming for sexy, and light.

Oddly enough, I passed by a Fiat 500 over the weekend and looved the wheels it had on. Sad though as I found out they are only in 16's. I like the silver and black with slight red highlights.

So....maybe it's time to drop those tail light photos...

Old 08-15-2016, 10:39 AM
KnighTT
2nd Gear
Old 08-15-2016, 10:40 AM
KnighTT
2nd Gear
For once, in my 1,000 DIY projects I have done in the past, these actually turned out exactly how I envisioned them in my head before I started.

What do you all think?

Old 08-15-2016, 10:48 AM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Wow, the taillights came out great. Pretty cool effect.

Nice surrounding area that you live in... Very green and a lot of trees.

Old 08-15-2016, 11:59 AM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
Nice job on the tail lights! How did you separate the lens, and what did you use to reseal them?

Old 08-15-2016, 12:07 PM
KnighTT
2nd Gear
There is a decently clear line where the lens is glued to the housing. You just take a high speed dremel, at about 80% throttle, and put a FINE cutting blade through that channel. That way you are cutting a minimal amount of material.

The trick is here to only take about an 1/8" cut in depth. Otherwise you can actually cut through the entire thing right through the chrome piece inside. Then you take a flat head screw driver and very gently pry the clear lens from the housing. Work all the way around. Do this slowly. I was pretty paranoid of cracking the lens.

Then, you just sand the housing and lens mating surfaces when you are done.

What I did was tape it back closed in 4 areas to minimize the gaps and hold it together. Then I tacked it closed with x6 1/4" spots of epoxy glue. (just in case I ever had to open them up again, it would be easy to pop those).

Then I just finished it with Permatex black automotive silicone all the way around. Matches the color exactly, fills in the gap, seals them up, and looks great. Plus I can cut it back open if I ever need to freshen up the color, if it ever leaks, etc.

Old 08-15-2016, 04:06 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
R50/r53

Looks great, definitely worth the effort!

Old 08-16-2016, 02:56 PM
KnighTT
2nd Gear
Sweet. The engine is now in the back of my SUV.

262 pounds. I'm going to need some help getting that out...

It was supposed to be delivered to my door. So I get a call from the Airport FEDEX and I had to do the customs myself and pickup on site.

This ought to be interesting. At least it is on a pallet. Plenty for a few guys to hold onto.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:44 AM
KnighTT
2nd Gear
Well the engine is finally parked in the garage. Really dirty and caked with oil in some parts. We will have to see how it cleans up and a full inspection afterwards.

I really don't care about leaks, as every seal and gasket is being replaced, but I need to make sure there aren't any cracks like my last block.

They kept the crankshaft sensor on, which saves me $60. Nice. Mine was trashed when the rod exploded.

Plus they made some cool engine strap out of a seat belt and bolted it to the engine. The thing can actually be reused. Too easy.

Getting it in and out of the car, that was interesting.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:07 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
R50/r53

That's a great "conveyor" system you have!

Old 08-17-2016, 09:46 PM
KnighTT
2nd Gear
I know right. I got impatient waiting for my brother in law to get there, so I almost had it all the way out.

Just nabbed a 15% Alta off ebay, new, for $79. Score.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:33 PM
KnighTT
2nd Gear
Well, not much to update.

The car has been moved to my folks garage, which is where I will be rebuilding it over the next month. Glad that is over. I got the tool cabinet over there and have a good size work space for the entire project.

So, tomorrow I pretty much put in the order for everything I need. About $1,500 worth of parts and odds and ends. After two weeks of searching, checking, comparing, and making sure the shipping to Alaska isn't crazy, I found the best layout.

The only thing I won't really be ordering just yet is some new tires and I'm looking for the black OEM carpet floor mat it. I don't want to ruin the blue carpet as the car has no mats.

I did get the valve cover off the new engine. Everything looks great. Oil was a bit dirty, but no gunk and deposits. We will see the rest when I can get it up on the stand and rip it apart.

For the next few days, all I am doing is packing. Sat and Sunday we are doing a garage sale, and then spending mon-wed just cleaning so we can clear the house and hand over the keys.

Looking forward to finally ripping into this thing next weekend.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:42 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
R50/r53

I think this is the right floor mat. 12% discount should work on this too until 8/31.

http://new.minimania.com/part/NMI760...i-Cooper-And-S

If not, here is an application guide:

http://new.minimania.com/Mini_Cooper...lication_Guide

I'm ordering the trunk mat for my R53.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:34 PM
KnighTT
2nd Gear
PARTS!!!

Quick Reply: R50/53 The $1,800 03 Cooper S adventure...