R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 I got one mini a couple months ago and now I have four!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 07:52 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
I got one mini a couple months ago and now I have four!

Hi Folks,
I bought a mini in March 2016. It is a convertible 08 base model. I purchased it, not knowing about the automatic trans problems these models have. It is not running yet, as someone that owned it before me had changed the brain, which is not compatible with the vin in that car. I am ordering a new one, which will be coming from England. It is in waiting for the part.
In the mean time, I purchased an 06 hatch back with a five speed tranny. It had 108 K miles on it and runs perfect. I have already put miles up to 113K and it runs flawless. I liked it so much in fact that I purchased a 05 S model. It has a six speed manual, is British racing green with a white roof with the double sun roof (not what I really needed) It has the chrono gauge package and . It had higher miles at 142K, but was in great shape. It was so fast, that I was blown away. I will keep this one, but bought another 05 S dark silver with a black roof and also has the sun roofs and chrono gauges. It runs good, but is not going to stay with me for long, as I purchased it off of pictures and it also was a smokers car and the interior was beat up, so once I replace the interior, it is going to become someone elses car.
As it stands now, I have four of these Mini Coopers and I really have enjoy them (except for the 08 yellow convertible). I think I am addicted after only a month of ownership!
I am an old fart at 66, but I have always been young at heart. I would like to get together with people near me, to do some touring about. I live in southwest Oregon and would love to meet with other Mini owners.
Itsme Wayne

Last edited by ItsmeWayne; 05-15-2016 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:04 PM
MiniTigger
5th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Congrats x4 .. and welcome.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:10 PM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
66? You don't know what being an old fart is!

I don't know how much you paid for those cars but I can't help think you could have bought a pretty nice, reliable car for what ever you paid.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:00 AM
jamez
5th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
LOL! Collect them all!!

Way to go man. With this forum you'll have lots of help for when you need it. Also check out my R53 facebook page for additional first gen tips too

Good luck and happy Motoring!!

Last edited by jamez; 05-16-2016 at 08:00 AM.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:30 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Glad you're almost enjoying them all. Of course, no thread is good without pictures! Share some with us when you can.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 05-17-2016, 08:12 PM
ItsmeWayne
Hi and thanks for the replies.
I am struggling with getting the pictures from my cell phone to this site. I guess I am better with cars than I am with computers!
I will try again:

The second one I purchased. An 06 base model. Could not get my sister out of it! LOL

The 06 at the coastal redwoods

My baby, an 05 S with chrono package. It is sweet and fast!

Back of my 05 S

05 Mini S chrono package

I am still trying to get the other two cars to post. I will work on it!

Old 05-17-2016, 08:42 PM
ItsmeWayne
OK, here are the only two pictures I have been able to get since my last try:

The first one and 08 base with auto tranny issues

My 05 Mini S in the redwoods

Old 05-17-2016, 09:50 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Four MINIs

Originally Posted by ItsmeWayne
Hi Folks,
I bought a mini in March 2016. It is a convertible 08 base model. I purchased it, not knowing about the automatic trans problems these models have. It is not running yet, as someone that owned it before me had changed the brain, which is not compatible with the vin in that car. I am ordering a new one, which will be coming from England. It is in waiting for the part.
In the mean time, I purchased an 06 hatch back with a five speed tranny. It had 108 K miles on it and runs perfect. I have already put miles up to 113K and it runs flawless. I liked it so much in fact that I purchased a 05 S model. It has a six speed manual, is British racing green with a white roof with the double sun roof (not what I really needed) It has the chrono gauge package and . It had higher miles at 142K, but was in great shape. It was so fast, that I was blown away. I will keep this one, but bought another 05 S dark silver with a black roof and also has the sun roofs and chrono gauges. It runs good, but is not going to stay with me for long, as I purchased it off of pictures and it also was a smokers car and the interior was beat up, so once I replace the interior, it is going to become someone elses car.
As it stands now, I have four of these Mini Coopers and I really have enjoy them (except for the 08 yellow convertible). I think I am addicted after only a month of ownership!
I am an old fart at 66, but I have always been young at heart. I would like to get together with people near me, to do some touring about. I live in southwest Oregon and would love to meet with other Mini owners.
Itsme Wayne
Portland area here Wayne. You are living the dream: a MINI for each week of the month. Ought to drive down for the Mini Mania Nevada Adventure Open House! http://new.minimania.com/Nevada_City_Adventure_2016

Old 05-18-2016, 12:04 AM
ItsmeWayne
Thanks for the invite! I will make it there! I used to live there! (Grass Valley & Michigan Bluff)
Itsme Wayne

Last edited by ItsmeWayne; 05-18-2016 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:18 AM
HaveATank
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Great to see the BGR Best Color every lol. I have two myself.

Day and Night

Name:  Screenshot_2016-04-28-20-56-34.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  468.7 KB

Old 05-18-2016, 07:23 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Some great pictures. The one of your sister is priceless! Thank you for sharing.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 05-18-2016, 07:52 AM
ItsmeWayne
Hi HaveATank,
I am a BRG type of guy too! I would own other colors Chili red, blue, etc, but I would need to have at least one BRG S, as they sing to me! LOL

Old 05-18-2016, 08:01 AM
ItsmeWayne
I realized I had no pictures of my 05 BRG Mini S, side shot, with the wheels, so here it is:

Old 05-19-2016, 12:44 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Mini Mania Nevada City Adventure

Originally Posted by ItsmeWayne
Thanks for the invite! I will make it there! I used to live there! (Grass Valley & Michigan Bluff)
Itsme Wayne
Awesome, glad to hear it!!!!

Old 05-20-2016, 06:04 AM
ItsmeWayne
OK, here is the dark silver 05 mini S. I call it the beater, as the interior is rough and I will replace all the seats. I have new shifter and E brake boots to go on also. I am not a smoker and the owner was. It really stinks inside and I am trying to get rid of the smell, with no success yet. The body and running gear are good and it has the chrono package too.

05 mini s with chrono package

lots of interior work being done on this baby

body is nice on this 05 mini S

Old 05-25-2016, 06:32 AM
ItsmeWayne
I had a great time at the Mini Mania Adventure in Nevada City, California in May of 2016.
The event was great and it was great to see all the other Mini maniacs that attended also. The forecast for that day, was bleak to be sure, but many maniacs showed up anyway and thankfully the weather gods smiled on us that day, as the rain held off and the day was real fun for us.
I will try to make it to these within at least a four state area! Here are some pics of my first trip with 05 Mini S:

My 05 Mini S in BRG

Some of the early birds

Mini Mania headquarters

The gathering underway

Dyno time at the event

Mini's all over the place!

The Adventure was a great place to feed you addiction to the great little cars!

Several GP cars were there

Coupe

Classics were there

oddities also

These were cool!

I hope to see many more events like this and also to meet you!

Old 05-26-2016, 11:44 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Mini Mania Nevada City Adventure

So glad you had a great time, and thank you for the pictures!!!!!!

Old 06-03-2016, 07:26 AM
ItsmeWayne
So, I sold my 06 BRG base to my neighbor, so now I am looking at getting another, to replace it.
I really like the base models, as they get such unbelievable fuel economy, yet are such a joy to drive. I hope I can find another that made me as happy as this one did!
She is missed, but not forgotten:

Sadly we have sold her and another just like it. both in June 2016.

Last edited by ItsmeWayne; 06-24-2016 at 06:56 AM. Reason: sold a car
Old 06-24-2016, 06:54 AM
ItsmeWayne
Hi Friends,
Since starting this thread, I have added a couple cars and sold a few also.
We just picked up another two minis'

2008 Chili red base

2004 white Mini S

I have to tell you... This is some kind of good addiction! (both my sister and myself have this afliction)
We also had a 2005 BRG Mini base we sold already, along with the first BRG base I had.
I just love these great little cars!
By buying lesser dollar Minis', I am trying to work my way up to newer cars, but I really like these gen one models!
My 2005 BRG Mini S is still my daily driver! I sold my Cadillac, so I can buy more Minis'!
I hope you are enjoying your Mini today!
I am so happy that we have several Mini owners out here, that want to help others keep their Mini on the road and track!
Itsme Wayne

Old 06-24-2016, 09:56 AM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
With so many MINI's, have you thought about getting a GP or a GP2? Those were the most special models for their generations. What about a classic Mini?

Old 06-24-2016, 02:08 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
New MINI Owner

Awesome! You are single-handedly rescuing MINIs in the Northwest

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.

Old 06-24-2016, 10:32 PM
ItsmeWayne
Originally Posted by RB-MINI
With so many MINI's, have you thought about getting a GP or a GP2? Those were the most special models for their generations. What about a classic Mini?
I am always on the hunt for a GP and JCW models. They are tougher to find and I have not be able to negotiate for a price that makes sense to my new found hobby. I will get there at some point and then my 2005 Mini S will be sold off too!

I have not thought about a classic Mini as yet, but I have driven them in the past.
Thanks for your input RB-Mini

Old 06-24-2016, 10:53 PM
ItsmeWayne
Originally Posted by Mini Mania
Awesome! You are single-handedly rescuing MINIs in the Northwest

Hi again Mini Mania,
I am happy to report, I am looking all over the USA for Minis' and the last few were purchased in the east (New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania and Massachusetts) Were my sister is closing those deals.
I am bringing the 04 White Mini S back here, from NJ and maybe another soon.
I have three here right now and looking at a North West buy this coming week.
I am trying to save them and pass a few on to people, that can appreciate them as we do. I have not had to scrap any at this point, but I am stuck right now on a 2008 Mini Base convertible with a non operating auto transmission. I did receive a new computer for it, from England last week, but I have not had time to get that one going yet. I think it will end up becoming my brother in laws next car though, as he really wants a convertible, but is an automatic guy, so my mission is to get it up and driving again!
I also need all the seats for a 2005 Mini S and the left rear inside cover. (someone spilled a gallon of latex pain in it. It is a dark silver with charcoal black interior with 167K miles on the clock, but runs well. I drove it home over 500 miles from where I purchased it and it drove well)
Itsme Wayne
Thanks for the reply!
Everyone that drives in one with me, wants one!

Old 09-08-2016, 07:30 AM
ItsmeWayne
Hi Gang,
Since my start with Mini Coopers earlier this year, I have grown to love them even more (except for a few quirks in repairing them).
Since I started buying/fixing/selling them, I have purchased many. I started a internet sales business called "Best Auto LLC". Only my sister and myself are buying, fixing and selling them. We have done all required work to have a used car dealer in Oregon and officially are one now. We have our dealer number and have been working on selling nice used Minis' and have made many new Mini owners happy.
I am still on a learning curve with repairing many of the little quirks and as yet have not rebuilt any engines for them (as I have not needed to yet). I am qualified to do so, as I worked for dealers in the past and have built race car engines that competed in the past (drag racing).

Let me digress a bit; We are buying, using and selling these cars to people that normally would not be able to afford a new/newer Mini. Our mission is to make older Mini Coopers available and keep them on the road.
I have been doing much driving with several Minis' and have bunched up many miles on my 05 BRG Mini S. Since I got it in April I have added over 11,000 miles on her and several thousands of miles on a few others. We have only sold close to a dozen Minis' so far, but we try to make them as nice as possible, before we find a new owner for them.
My time is taken up finding, buying, fixing and selling them. I am trying to find the time to organize a local group, so that we can plan runs and time together. It is a lot of work for an old retired fart to do all of this. I want to find a younger guy to help me keep these cars viable, so that we can keep them on the road.
I love these little cars and most all of my buyers are thrilled too!
I am so happy to have found the Mini way and hope your cars are keeping you happy most of the time also.

I am adding a car lift to my shop, as getting down on my knees, to work on them is coming to an end. My ceiling height is only 11' 3 1/2 inches, so my lift options are limited. I am going with a Bend pak XPR-9DS, because it is well made, certified and fits in my shop.

Itsme Wayne

Old 09-08-2016, 01:05 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
R50/r53

Congrats! You are a great addition to the MINI community.

Quick Reply: R50/53 I got one mini a couple months ago and now I have four!