R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 The big ol' "Kodachi" thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 11:20 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Originally Posted by HaltCatchFire
One is missing, the other has been sawn in half (I can see the kerf marks) and left dangling. Definitely not for looks . However, just got my ECS box with new ones so it'll be good as new soon

Ok, thanks for the order, i have seen people shave the plastic, so just wanted to know.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 06-23-2016, 12:46 PM
Ol' Blue
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I always wondered what everyone was talking about with the flap on the JCW intake. Glad you reversed the seemingly pointless hot air intake? The guy before you had in the works.

I guess that makes my intake the poor man JCW intake.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:01 PM
HaltCatchFire
3rd Gear
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
TBH it's probably an insignificant performance difference vs just the front intake. But OHHHHH MY that sound is amazing. Like Hermes himself is giving her an extra kick.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:11 AM
HaltCatchFire
3rd Gear
Took off that cracked, yellowed decal on the rear bumper. I'll never understand why that crummy bit of vinyl was chosen for the high-dollar aero kit. Anywho, for those interested, a hair dryer works wonders for peeling it off. Goo-gone easily takes case of the adhesive. Now for some Plasti-dip!

I'm slowly getting ideas for how I want the red/black scheme to eventually look. Rear bumper will be similar to the Nightwing R53 but I'll add a honeycomb mesh.

Old 05-07-2017, 10:12 PM
HaltCatchFire
3rd Gear
Wow it's been a while. Been having fun in between being extremely busy. After the latest maintenance she's running like a top though.

What I thought was speed sensor out (trifecta, etc) turned out to be the ABS computer blown out so I took it to Madness to get it swapped and get some PS hoses replaced. George and crew did a great job, though he vocally disparages all the CravenSpeed additions to the car. It's just a dipstick, lighten up

I'm going to be on a polyurethane kick here soon after I replaced and put inserts in the lower mount. No more clunking and surging! I can still feel a little rocking on pulsing the throttle though, so I think I'll slowly go through the engine mounts and poly-up until I notice increased NVH. Lower mount didn't affect NVH at all so I'm hopeful the unbreakable lump can be cinched down even tighter and that road feel can get even better.

P.S. Loving the WMW black side markers. Much cleaner than stand-out orange.

Last edited by HaltCatchFire; 05-08-2017 at 07:38 AM.
Old 05-27-2018, 01:23 PM
HaltCatchFire
3rd Gear
Blacked out the beltline and headlight rings. Little tint on the headlight lenses to hide the yellowing left lens (older than the other lens) and as the kid said, "needs another red thing" so I obliged. Quite like it.

The following users liked this post:
MiniTigger (05-29-2018)
Old 05-27-2018, 02:19 PM
ONEBUNCHMIN
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Installed the Craven tow hook, I really like the look. I may have to start a gen1 version of the "meanest cooper" gen2 thread to get some ideas on the final look I want for this car. You can also see where the aero brackets were supposed to be, the chimpanzee who installed the aero bumper cut them off.

Looks like I'm JCW lucky number 13k
I know it's been two years but.. your tire is on backwards.

:p

Old 05-27-2018, 02:44 PM
HaltCatchFire
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ONEBUNCHMIN
I know it's been two years but.. your tire is on backwards.

:p
Haha, yes I noticed that when I went to rotate the tires shortly after that photo. It's the right way around in the next pic. Just one more thing I wonder how the previous owner missed...

Old 05-28-2018, 02:20 PM
mooser
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice work

Old 05-28-2018, 06:39 PM
MiniTigger
5th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
I may have to start a gen1 version of the "meanest cooper" gen2 thread to get some ideas on the final look I want for this car.
We already have one.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...r52-r53-6.html

Old 05-29-2018, 11:39 AM
HaltCatchFire
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniTigger
Mine is getting mean enough, not quite there though . Maybe with a little more red...

Old 05-29-2018, 06:25 PM
MiniTigger
5th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Blacked out the beltline and headlight rings. Little tint on the headlight lenses to hide the yellowing left lens (older than the other lens) and as the kid said, "needs another red thing" so I obliged. Quite like it.

Where did you get the red scoop liner? I'm going for a black / red theme too. I left the beltline alone but I have dipped the headlight rings.

Old 05-29-2018, 07:33 PM
HaltCatchFire
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniTigger
Where did you get the red scoop liner? I'm going for a black / red theme too. I left the beltline alone but I have dipped the headlight rings.
Nothing more than 1/4" vinyl and a steady hand . I believe I'll put on some hood pinstripes as well in that color, I'm really happy how sturdy the vinyl has been.

Old 07-03-2018, 04:07 PM
HaltCatchFire
3rd Gear
New shoes arrived! I'm quite excited to try these out - but I need to wait for my Bobcats so I can install the new rotors...

RPF1 17x7 with RE-71R 215/45R17

RPF1 17x7 with RE-71R 215/45R17

Old 07-04-2018, 08:33 AM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
tyres and wheel

These and the Konig Dial In are my favorite light wheels but neither are available in 16". Blame it on bloody Miata.

Old 09-09-2018, 04:11 PM
HaltCatchFire
3rd Gear
Went out to a couple of late summer track days at PIR and met a some fellow Cooper owners. Turns out three of us were running RE-71R tires at the CSCC event so we got to share notes which was nice. The tires ran great with no gumming up despite the 9X deg heat and being pushed hard. Very happy with these + RPF1 combo.

Old 09-09-2018, 04:23 PM
HaltCatchFire
3rd Gear
That last track day definitely highlighted how shot my suspension is - I was rolling all over the place with no damping. The struts are pretty scored, they're probably done. Time for a suspension overhaul! Since I'm quite happy with the ride height (I scrape on some driveways at stock height, I have no idea how some people get away with -1.25" springs!) I'm looking at Koni FSDs. I'll add to that a 19mm sway bar and IE fixed camber plates, I like the idea of a set-and-forget setup like this. Any opinions on this setup for a DD with several tracks days a year and maybe some future autox?

Also Mini Mania was having a great sale on this so I couldn't say no to an engine mount refresh as well. Got a new trans mount with poly bushings as well, that should clear up the rest of the rocking and surging.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:19 AM
bump32
4th Gear
Received 121 Likes on 76 Posts
That last track day definitely highlighted how shot my suspension is - I was rolling all over the place with no damping. The struts are pretty scored, they're probably done. Time for a suspension overhaul! Since I'm quite happy with the ride height (I scrape on some driveways at stock height, I have no idea how some people get away with -1.25" springs!) I'm looking at Koni FSDs. I'll add to that a 19mm sway bar and IE fixed camber plates, I like the idea of a set-and-forget setup like this. Any opinions on this setup for a DD with several tracks days a year and maybe some future autox?

Also Mini Mania was having a great sale on this so I couldn't say no to an engine mount refresh as well. Got a new trans mount with poly bushings as well, that should clear up the rest of the rocking and surging.
Let me preface this reply by saying I don't know #$%*#@ compared to some of the guys here but I have a very similar goal (daily driver with a few days at the track).
I have a 19mm rear sway bar that was on the car for 1 track day. I was holding onto until I was sure about the 22mm. After 2 track days with the 22mm I'm sure I'm not going back so if you are interested let me know.
BUT
I have Koni FSDs, stock springs, stock front sway bar and 22mm rear sway bar. I was at PIR last week and this set up felt pretty good. I'm on the minimum setting for the rear sway bar. My tires are crap and new tires are for sure the next thing on the list. I feel like when I get better tires and some camber & an alignment I will be able to go up to the middle setting on the sway bar. My point is, I don't think I would recommend the 19mm sway bar.

Here's some info that might be helpful.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-question.html

Old 09-13-2018, 08:06 AM
Minibeagle
6th Gear
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Following

Old 09-13-2018, 08:43 AM
HaltCatchFire
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by bump32
Let me preface this reply by saying I don't know #$%*#@ compared to some of the guys here but I have a very similar goal (daily driver with a few days at the track).
I have a 19mm rear sway bar that was on the car for 1 track day. I was holding onto until I was sure about the 22mm. After 2 track days with the 22mm I'm sure I'm not going back so if you are interested let me know.
BUT
I have Koni FSDs, stock springs, stock front sway bar and 22mm rear sway bar. I was at PIR last week and this set up felt pretty good. I'm on the minimum setting for the rear sway bar. My tires are crap and new tires are for sure the next thing on the list. I feel like when I get better tires and some camber & an alignment I will be able to go up to the middle setting on the sway bar. My point is, I don't think I would recommend the 19mm sway bar.
I would concur with everything here and the consensus from nearly everybody is that 22mm (or equivalently 25.5mm hollow) is the way to go if that's all you're doing. I would say the opposite, though, about more camber allowing you to increase the bar stiffness. More negative camber will reduce understeer by squaring up the contact patches at the front, which means you need less sway bar stiffness (which also decreases understeer by shifting weight to the inside front wheel) to maintain the same oversteer/understeer tendencies. I've heard of a few folks having to dial down the sway bar after they added camber because the car starts to oversteer. Discussion here and here. I figured I'd start safe, since the 19mm on full stiff is about the same as 22mm on soft

Last edited by HaltCatchFire; 09-13-2018 at 08:49 AM.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:51 PM
bump32
4th Gear
Received 121 Likes on 76 Posts
I would concur with everything here and the consensus from nearly everybody is that 22mm (or equivalently 25.5mm hollow) is the way to go if that's all you're doing. I would say the opposite, though, about more camber allowing you to increase the bar stiffness. More negative camber will reduce understeer by squaring up the contact patches at the front, which means you need less sway bar stiffness (which also decreases understeer by shifting weight to the inside front wheel) to maintain the same oversteer/understeer tendencies. I've heard of a few folks having to dial down the sway bar after they added camber because the car starts to oversteer. Discussion here and here. I figured I'd start safe, since the 19mm on full stiff is about the same as 22mm on soft
Last track day, my tires were the main problem. I probably need some neg camber and better tires for sure. How much that will affect the rear sway bar settings??? Out of my league and I have a long way to go. Keep posting on your findings. And after reading the two post you put links to, I may hold on to my 19mm until I have camber plates.

Last edited by bump32; 09-13-2018 at 10:15 PM. Reason: More reading
Old 09-16-2018, 10:03 AM
ExclusiveWorkshops
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I took my front bar off

Now the rear is in the middle (25.5mm)

rear camber -2 slight toe in
front L -2.2 R -2 slight toe out

SS+ height -5mm~

Old 09-17-2018, 07:46 AM
HaltCatchFire
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ExclusiveWorkshops
I took my front bar off

Now the rear is in the middle (25.5mm)

rear camber -2 slight toe in
front L -2.2 R -2 slight toe out

SS+ height -5mm~
Wow, that is aggressive! I'll have to see how my setup responds - there's no shortage of varying setups people prefer .

Old 09-17-2018, 09:02 AM
ExclusiveWorkshops
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just for novelty value as I posted it somewhere else earlier, this setting on track:

;O)

Old 09-30-2018, 08:26 PM
HaltCatchFire
3rd Gear
Well that was quite an interesting few days of wrenching. Got a bunch of goodies put on and learned a lot about how the engine mounts and suspension work. By far the most important thing on this bench would be the baby wipes - best degreaser ever.
  • IE fixed plates
  • HSport 19mm bar
  • FSDs all around
  • Vibra-technics mount
  • PF trans bushings
  • Regreasing LCAs with Aqua Shield since the PF grease dried up completely.
Speaking of Aqua Shield, this stuff is freaking amazing. I'm using it on all poly bushings now and it is the clingiest, tackiest stuff you'll ever use. If it can survive repeated attempts to wash it off my hands with every soap available, it should do fine under the car. Highly recommended.

Last edited by HaltCatchFire; 09-30-2018 at 09:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (08-09-2019)

Quick Reply: R50/53 The big ol' "Kodachi" thread