R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 GP Springs on R53

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 09:34 PM
SMSgt Bo
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GP Springs on R53

Anyone here put JCW GP springs on their R53?

Let's take this to a whole 'notha level...has anyone tried GP springs with Koni Sports (yellow adjustables)?

Old 04-29-2016, 01:22 PM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The GP springs are the normal JCW springs that were part of the JCW Suspension option available for all R53s. The JCW springs were matched with JCW shocks (Delphi). For the JCW option there were three spring rates available based on the vehicle options. I have never been able to obtain the actual spring rates but I suspect the GP springs are the stiffest of the three options. The JCW springs are progressive so hard to specify a specific spring rate.
The GP JCW springs are a little stiffer that normal S and my butt said even stiffer than H&R springs (maybe just due to differences in the progressive rates of the two springs).
I never tried any different shocks with the GP JCW springs.
I find the GP JCW spring/shock combo not to be so good for Auto-X due to too much lean in the front (probably due to the initial soft progressive portion of the spring).

I need new shocks on my GP JCW combo so I decided to switch to Swift Spec-R springs and Bilstein HD/Sport non-adjustable shocks. I have not installed yet so performance difference is still in question.

I went with Bilstein instead of Koni Yellow based on various vendor recommendations and reading about inconsistencies between individual Koni shocks for the adjustments.

The spring/shock combo is diff

Old 04-29-2016, 07:48 PM
SMSgt Bo
2nd Gear
Thank you for your valuable input.

What made you choose Swift Spec-R as replacement springs for your GP? Everything I've read says the GP's handling is "sublime".

Old 04-30-2016, 08:00 PM
sevin
6th Gear
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
You can search the forums to find some reviews and discussions on the various spring options for the R53. It's one of the many endless debates, but the Spec-R's are pretty highly regarded. High quality, perfect amount of drop, stiff yet not overly harsh. It shares similar qualities with a few other springs, like the TSW and H&R. Just read around, you'll find some good info here.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:29 PM
SMSgt Bo
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by sevin
You can search the forums to find some reviews and discussions on the various spring options for the R53.
Thanks, I've been hitting the forums and blogs pretty hard for the past two weeks. Instead of achieving enlightenment I'm coming down with a bad case of analysis paralysis.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:39 AM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SMSgt Bo
Thank you for your valuable input.

What made you choose Swift Spec-R as replacement springs for your GP? Everything I've read says the GP's handling is "sublime".
I have 96,000 miles on my JCW/GP Shocks and Springs so it was time for at least shocks. The JCW combo is good. However, I would like a slightly stiffer spring since I Auto-X the car but not too stiff because it is a daily driver and the California roads continue to get worse (rougher) due to lack of maintenance. I also cannot lower the rear anymore than the JCW (about 1/2") due to rear rubbing with 215/40-18 tires and 37mm offset. I looked at many spring/shock and coilover options. The Swift Spec-R has the right amount of drop for my car plus should be slightly stiffer than the JCW spring. I also expect the Swift spring to have a linear spring rate when installed, which is good for Auto-X. I had planned to use the Koni Yellow Adj shocks with the Swift springs but both Swift and Greene Perf recommended Bilstein shocks with the Swift Spec-R springs so I went with Bilstein shocks. I expect the ride to be firm but not too harsh.

Old 05-01-2016, 08:53 AM
SMSgt Bo
2nd Gear
You may be right about GP springs being no different than springs that came with the JCW R53 suspension package. Unfortunately the GP connection allows Mini to gouge their customers ($200 JCW vs $540 GP).

I live in ski country on the NC/Va/Tenn border where most of the roads are in poor condition, are twisty, and have frequent elevation changes (think Tail of the Dragon) so I need a suspension that is stiff, but compliant. My current set-up was almost ideal (linear springs, Koni yellows, 19mm RSB, IE camber plates, STB) but with my springs NLA I've got to find something comparable. My only complaint was how low the old springs dropped the car. It was great on the smooth roads (and tracks) of Europe, but not so much here.

I'll look into the Swifts a little deeper.

Thanks!

Old 06-03-2016, 10:35 PM
SMSgt Bo
2nd Gear
I finally went with the Swifts and found they gave the car more of a rake (I prefer the even drop the Dinan springs gave me) and the 3 hour ride home was pretty painful (road seams and bridge expansion joints literally kicked my ***) leaving me pretty unimpressed with the new springs...until I hit the mountains. What a delightful surprise once I came to the twisties and saw how balanced the car felt and how flat it took high-speed transitions. I think I could learn to love these springs.

Thanks for the help guys!

Old 06-04-2016, 06:20 AM
sevin
6th Gear
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
If you get the chance, I would love to read a more in-depth review of the springs. Those are the ones I'd put on my car if I had the money. Are they far worse than stock to DD? Can you take a pic or two of the lowering?

Old 06-04-2016, 09:15 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Springs for 1st Gen MINI, whether a JCW or GP are all sold based upon car's options. That would include transmission type / with and without sunroof. If you purchase what someone is purporting to be GP1 springs, then you are purchasing F/R JCW Springs for a 1st Gen MINI with a manual trans and no sunroof.

If you have a sunroof then don't purchase them, the spring rate is not correct for the weight of your MINI. The Spring table data is available through your MINI shop. Call your dealer parts dept to get proper part numbers for your options.

And btw, if they are gouging customers by calling them "GP1 Springs" and charging you more....well, that's not ethical and personally I would not do business with them...my 2 pence.

Old 06-04-2016, 09:22 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
I have been running the JCW Suspension since 2007 Including 3 sets of JCW replacement struts since then. ( Last about 60K miles or so )

This past fall, instead of going with JCW struts, I purchased Bilstein Sport Struts kit from Turner Motor Sports for $650.00 https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...er-s-set-of-4/

They are IMO almost as hard as the JCW Struts but not quite. However, overall I prefer the JCW struts for their responsiveness and predictable turn in so going back to those next time around.