R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Dinan Spring Replacement Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 02:26 PM
SMSgt Bo
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dinan Spring Replacement Question

I purchased my 06 R53 new while stationed in Germany and promptly installed a Dinan S3 suspension package (Koni yellow Sports, springs, 19mm adjustable rear bar). I also dumped the runflats for Potenza's on forged BBS RS-Rs, and installed IE fixed camber plates, and a Dinan strut brace. To round things out I also installed a Dinan S1 engine upgrade (intake & single muffler exhaust) and a JCW brake package.

It's been a glorious 10 years since and I've been fortunate to have had the opportunity to drive the car on the Silverstone circuit in the UK, the Zandvoort race track in Holland, and the Nurburgring in Germany. I now live in the mountains of North Carolina and drive roads comparable to "The Dragon" weekly. The car has been meticulously maintained and currently has less than 23K miles on the odometer.

I've grown very fond of the cars' handling and this week everything changed. One of the rear springs broke and I discovered Dinan no longer sells Mini suspension parts. My back-up was Eibach, but they no longer sell R53 springs.

So my question, what is a comparable replacement to the Dinan springs? I was told Dinan springs were linear with settings of 216 lbs/in front and 634 lbs/in rear (these numbers don't sound right to me) with a drop of 1.25" front and 1" rear. I'm looking at Swift (progressive, 280/308), H&R Race (progressive, 355/400), TSW (linear, 336/336?), and JCW (variable by car configuration). Given the same scenario, what would you do?

Thanks in advance!

Bo

Last edited by SMSgt Bo; 04-26-2016 at 07:37 AM.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:36 AM
SMSgt Bo
2nd Gear
Four days, 400 views and no replies?

Anyway, I ended up ordering JCW springs. They are linear like the Dinans and should have similar spring rates.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:43 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Looks like you got it handed, but figured I'd give some input anyways. It is unfortunate that Dinan stopped making MINI parts. I particularly like VOGTLAND sport springs HERE. I'm not sure how they compare to the Dinan springs as I'm not familiar with them, but VOGTLAND is German made and a good quality spring with about a 1.2" drop front/rear. Have a few friends that run their springs on different makes. Swift is a great spring too. I have lots of friends that run a coil set up with Swift springs. Most of them track cars and a few daily drivers.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 04-26-2016, 11:33 AM
SMSgt Bo
2nd Gear
Thank you for your reply. Do you have any idea what the spring rates are on the Vogtland's and if they are progressive or linear? I'm more concerned with performance (how the spring behaves) over appearance (lowering the car).

Old 04-27-2016, 09:37 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
VOGTLAND calls them compound spring rates, which sounds to be progressive. As to the spring rate numbers, that's something you'd probably have to ask VOGTLAND specifically. This is what VOGTLAND publishes:

As the distance of spring travel reduces, the performance demands of a spring drastically increase. Derived from racing, the VOGTLAND compound spring consists of two different spring rates. The initial rate provides the proper preload necessary for proper suspension function during all road conditions, and the final rate is designed to provide the appropriate vehicle balance for neutral steering characteristics. Each spring is calibrated for every specific car model, and provides a balance between performance and comfort. With lowering amounts available from 25 - 60 mm.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 04-27-2016, 09:57 AM
kmartinlind
Neutral
I have two (2) rear used Hotchkis springs and a week old set (4) of Swifts for sale. Not posted here but PM me if interested.

Old 04-27-2016, 01:33 PM
SMSgt Bo
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by kmartinlind
I have two (2) rear used Hotchkis springs and a week old set (4) of Swifts for sale. Not posted here but PM me if interested.
Thanks for the heads-up. What didn't you like about the Swift springs?

Old 04-27-2016, 02:39 PM
kmartinlind
Neutral
No complaints on the Swift springs. I ended up with a used set of JIC coilovers a week after I put them on. Managed to do one autocross in that week with the Swifts on Koni yellows and they handled great. They only dropped the car about 3/4 inch. Sitting in my garage in the original box.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:57 AM
RayH
1st Gear
I have a Dinan 06 MCS and also found both rear springs cracked last year. Handled great riding on just the rear bump stops but the ride in the rear was harsh as expected.

I ended up replacing them myself with TSW springs along with swapping in R56 trailing arms at the same time. Have not gotten around to swapping the front springs but handling seems to match well with the Dinan front springs.

Last edited by RayH; 04-29-2016 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:47 AM
SMSgt Bo
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by RayH
I have a Dinan 06 MCS and also found both rear springs cracked last year. Handled great riding on just the rear bump stops but the ride in the rear was harsh as expected.

I ended up replacing them myself with TSW springs along with swapping in R56 trailing arms at the same time. Have not gotten around to swapping the front springs but handling seems to match well with the Dinan front springs.
Are the R56 trailing arms the same as the ones used on the GP?

I wouldn't have thought to mix springs until now. I guess as long as you keep all the springs linear (Dinan, TSW, JCW) handling should stay predictable.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:26 AM
RayH
1st Gear
The R56 trailing arms are aluminum like the GP but have slight differences, I think the main one was requiring metal shims where they attach to the shocks. I was able to get a deal on complete rear trailing arms including everything attached to them including bolts, bearings, brakes, shocks, springs, shock mounts from a totaled R56 so had a quite few parts left over which I could probably sell individually to cover the cost of the upgrade.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:52 AM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The JCW springs are progressive. I have never been able to get any spring rate info for the JCW springs.
The Swift springs are technically progressive but in practice are linear because the group of closely wound spring loops, compress with the weight of the car on them and what remains is a few linear loops on the springs.

Originally Posted by SMSgt Bo
Four days, 400 views and no replies?

Anyway, I ended up ordering JCW springs. They are linear like the Dinans and should have similar spring rates.

Old 06-03-2016, 10:44 PM
SMSgt Bo
2nd Gear
Just to close the loop; I went with Swift Spec R's and was pretty unimpressed...until I began my ascent into the mountains and hit the twisties. What a great set of springs!

Thanks for everyone's feedback