R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Just bought a Mini Cooper S on Sunday!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 07:52 PM
Grip Grip
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just bought a Mini Cooper S on Sunday!

I've been watching CL like a hawk, and last Saturday I saw an '05 MCS pop up with hard shifts for $2,800. I drove a couple hours and sealed the deal for $2,500. I love the car.

In the past week I've:

- rotated the tires
- painted the rotors
- painted the calipers
- polished the driver's side headlight
- polished both taillights
- changed the spark plugs
- changed the front wipers
- ordered weathertech mats used from CL
- ordered a real cup holder used from CL
- ordered a new "Mini" emblem for the hood
- 17% pulley with belt and tools
- Transgo shift kit
- tranny gasket
- ordered steering wheel control module for aftermarket stereo

I guess that's it for now. I really love the car!

Name:  20151125_155917_zpsanwlmnc0.jpg
Views: 1445
Size:  5.27 MB

Name:  20151125_153316_zps12eits1s.jpg
Views: 1469
Size:  4.47 MB

Name:  20151125_153333_zpsxr4hw2p8.jpg
Views: 1449
Size:  4.22 MB

Name:  20151125_153338_zpsijtjxugo.jpg
Views: 1464
Size:  4.31 MB

Name:  20151125_155859_zpsofzczlpk.jpg
Views: 1501
Size:  5.12 MB

Name:  20151125_160610_zpsqn2cb78b.jpg
Views: 1490
Size:  4.83 MB

Last edited by Grip Grip; 11-26-2015 at 05:03 PM.
Old 11-26-2015, 06:01 AM
Green Flash
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Great Find

Looks like you bought yourself a lot of fun for $2500. Enjoy the wrenching and the twisties.

Old 11-26-2015, 07:26 AM
graveshaker
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats, sounds nice. Post it here in the introduction section.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co.../1st-gear-114/

Old 11-26-2015, 07:46 AM
Drumsound
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's a smoking deal!!! Enjoy.

Old 11-26-2015, 08:27 AM
Grip Grip
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Green Flash
Looks like you bought yourself a lot of fun for $2500. Enjoy the wrenching and the twisties.
Thanks. Handles like it's on rails.

Originally Posted by graveshaker
Congrats, sounds nice. Post it here in the introduction section.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co.../1st-gear-114/
Thanks and done.

Originally Posted by Drumsound
That's a smoking deal!!! Enjoy.
Thanks. I'm already on the lookout for another one. Seems my daughter has taken a liking to the Mini.

Old 11-26-2015, 10:43 AM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
That's a great deal lucky you.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:52 PM
Minston
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Rock on! Sounds like you got a smokin' deal! I got my '05 MCS a few years ago and have enjoyed it immensely. Mostly basic maintenance too, I had heard that Minis could be temperamental but Griffer has played real nice. He has been off the road a few days due to some updates(new shocks and struts,Bilstein, new rear sway bar, new ball joints inner and outer, new LCA bushings, front sway bar bushings, upper and lower engine mounts, M7 strut bar, IE fixed camber plates)but will be back to chewing up pavement real soon. One note, my power steering pump recently quit on me due to a shoddy design on the original but it is a known issue and Mini will replace it Free of charge up to 150,000 miles or 15 years(I think, there are several threads on here about this) in case your steering gets wonky on you. Enjoy!!!

Old 11-28-2015, 09:02 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Congrats looks like it's a good deal

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 11-29-2015, 08:56 AM
sabjcw
2nd Gear
Wow! Great price! You did very well on that deal! And the car looks really clean in the pics. Wheels look to be in nice shape, body appears to be nice and free of any dings or dents, good job!

Old 11-29-2015, 03:32 PM
bansasn
2nd Gear
With that great of a deal! Drive it till it falls apart!

Old 11-29-2015, 05:38 PM
Grip Grip
4th Gear
Originally Posted by bavmotors
That's a great deal lucky you.
Originally Posted by Minston
Rock on! Sounds like you got a smokin' deal! I got my '05 MCS a few years ago and have enjoyed it immensely. Mostly basic maintenance too, I had heard that Minis could be temperamental but Griffer has played real nice. He has been off the road a few days due to some updates(new shocks and struts,Bilstein, new rear sway bar, new ball joints inner and outer, new LCA bushings, front sway bar bushings, upper and lower engine mounts, M7 strut bar, IE fixed camber plates)but will be back to chewing up pavement real soon. One note, my power steering pump recently quit on me due to a shoddy design on the original but it is a known issue and Mini will replace it Free of charge up to 150,000 miles or 15 years(I think, there are several threads on here about this) in case your steering gets wonky on you. Enjoy!!!
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Congrats looks like it's a good deal
Originally Posted by sabjcw
Wow! Great price! You did very well on that deal! And the car looks really clean in the pics. Wheels look to be in nice shape, body appears to be nice and free of any dings or dents, good job!
Originally Posted by bansasn
With that great of a deal! Drive it till it falls apart!
Thanks guys. I bought it knowing it has shifting issues, which I tried to remedy with a Transgo shift kit to no avail (likely due to me screwing it up). I'll be ordering a rebuilt VB this week and hopefully that gets the tranny sorted out.

Even with that being said, it was a good deal to me. Once it's shifting right I'll let my 14 y/o daughter drive it around the block again (practicing for Lerner's permit) and likely I'll drive it until she takes over ownership in a year.

Old 12-03-2015, 12:18 PM
noodlesandsam
3rd Gear
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Congrats - The 6 speed auto is actually pretty good. I had a local transmission shop rebuild the valve body to a good result. We have a 2005 - Feb build MCS. There is a thread here about the transmission. Make sure you use at a minimum Toyota 3309 spec fluid. $5 at a Toyota dealer. This is also the same transmission in Partswagen GTI's ( 09G ).

I also recently replaced the transmission mount = $151 at the dealer, but it made a difference - All 3 mounts are new - I go thru the fluid filled right mount every 18 months, the lower dog bone one - every 5 years is a good time to check it, and the trans mount - first time at 10 years, 116k.

Have fun.

RY

Old 12-04-2015, 05:49 AM
Minston
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I also recently replaced the transmission mount = $151 at the dealer, but it made a difference - All 3 mounts are new - I go thru the fluid filled right mount every 18 months, the lower dog bone one - every 5 years is a good time to check it, and the trans mount - first time at 10 years, 116k.

Have fun.

RY[/QUOTE]

Depending on how handy you are(and your tolerance for DIY) the engine mounts(except for the trans. mount) are easy to swap out, seriously about a max of a 1/2 hour job on each one, even for a novice should not take much longer. You will know it is time to change the right when you see the fluid leaking(black, sticky), you will need an E12 socket but there are lots of DIYs on here, YouTube, Pelican Parts has lots of great walk-throughs(with pics=awesome!) I have not done the transmission mount on my 2005 yet(I need a break from wrenching for a couple weeks) but it just involves taking off a few things to reach it whereas the other 2 mounts are pretty straightforward....best of luck...motor on!

Old 12-04-2015, 06:18 PM
Grip Grip
4th Gear
Originally Posted by noodlesandsam
Congrats - The 6 speed auto is actually pretty good. I had a local transmission shop rebuild the valve body to a good result. We have a 2005 - Feb build MCS. There is a thread here about the transmission. Make sure you use at a minimum Toyota 3309 spec fluid. $5 at a Toyota dealer. This is also the same transmission in Partswagen GTI's ( 09G ).

Have fun.

RY
Thanks for the info. It didn't occur to me to have the VB refurbished locally, so I went with Revmax. The VB looked a little sketchy, but it's working fine.

Originally Posted by Minston

Have fun.

RY

Depending on how handy you are(and your tolerance for DIY) the engine mounts(except for the trans. mount) are easy to swap out, seriously about a max of a 1/2 hour job on each one, even for a novice should not take much longer. You will know it is time to change the right when you see the fluid leaking(black, sticky), you will need an E12 socket but there are lots of DIYs on here, YouTube, Pelican Parts has lots of great walk-throughs(with pics=awesome!) I have not done the transmission mount on my 2005 yet(I need a break from wrenching for a couple weeks) but it just involves taking off a few things to reach it whereas the other 2 mounts are pretty straightforward....best of luck...motor on![/QUOTE]

Thanks. I'm decent with tools, so I'd be doing 90% of the work myself. The mounts look pretty easy.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:34 PM
noodlesandsam
3rd Gear
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
To clarify - $151 at dealer is the part cost. I do all the work. Also a PSA - check your handbrake cables - mine were rusted, and caused all sorts of rear brake weirdness.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:38 PM
Grip Grip
4th Gear
Originally Posted by noodlesandsam
To clarify - $151 at dealer is the part cost. I do all the work. Also a PSA - check your handbrake cables - mine were rusted, and caused all sorts of rear brake weirdness.
Thanks. I'll check the cable in the morning. I'm just happy to get it back on the road today.

Old 12-09-2015, 05:23 PM
Martin-Logan
2nd Gear
Nice - looks super clean. Congrats!

Old 12-09-2015, 05:48 PM
Grip Grip
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Martin-Logan
Nice - looks super clean. Congrats!
Thanks, but I've already flipped it. I'm using the profits to get an '07 Convertible Mini Cooper S. That is if the top doesn't leak.

The car is in horrific shape, but I need a winter project. I'll post up a thread when/if I pick it up this weekend. The interior is disgusting. It's as though the owner never once cleaned it out. Smells like vomit. However, it's only got 86K on it and I'll likely get it for $3,900. It runs very strong though and it's manual.

The Good:

- Runs great.
- Shift great.
- Looks great.
- Handles great.
- Only 86K miles with clean Carfax
- One owner.
- Seats in great condition.

The Bad:

- Hood was repaired and needs a partial respray.
- Driver's door looks like someone took a crowbar to remove the door card. A little bondo and respray.
- Bumper lip needs replacing.
- Missing power steering pump duct and plastic splash shield.
- Tiny hole in top.
- Dead CD Player.
- Wheels badly rashed and one definitely pot-hole damaged.
- Car smells like VOMIT
- Door seals are delaminated.
- Rear top seal is degraded.
- Small rough spot on top that I don't believe leaks, but I'll find out soon.
- Need to repaint some interior pieces.
- Door cards need work.

Last edited by Grip Grip; 12-09-2015 at 06:14 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:16 PM
graveshaker
2nd Gear
So is this going to be a flipper too or is this convertible stick shift going to be for your 14 year old daughter? I'm not knocking you if you're flipping to get an ideal car for her just wondering.

Old 12-09-2015, 06:26 PM
Grip Grip
4th Gear
Originally Posted by graveshaker
So is this going to be a flipper too or is this convertible stick shift going to be for your 14 year old daughter? I'm not knocking you if you're flipping to get an ideal car for her just wondering.
No, it's likely going to be sold in the spring. My daughter now wants a black Saab like her big sister's.

Old 12-09-2015, 11:56 PM
mikewitdaspike
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Grip Grip
No, it's likely going to be sold in the spring. My daughter now wants a black Saab like her big sister's.
Excellent choice! My first car was an 87 Saab 900 Turbo in black I loved it dearly.

Old 12-10-2015, 04:02 AM
Grip Grip
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mikewitdaspike
Excellent choice! My first car was an 87 Saab 900 Turbo in black I loved it dearly.

Thanks. We've had very good luck with Saabs. In the past 3 years we've had three, two 9-3 's and a 9-5. I bought a lime yellow convertible 9-3 Aero last year to get me through the winter. I sold it earlier this year.

Old 12-10-2015, 06:35 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Whelp, it looks like you have a plan. I'm sorry to see you exchange a hardtop for a convertible, but if they are just a means to an end, then I get it. Good luck with the SAAB: being (half) Swedish, I grew up in a SAAB family, and still have this to show for it:

Old 12-10-2015, 11:27 AM
mikewitdaspike
2nd Gear
Oh wow, she's a beauty!

Old 12-10-2015, 12:12 PM
blankie
1st Gear
my good friend has a newer saab, it is a viggen

Quick Reply: R50/53 Just bought a Mini Cooper S on Sunday!