R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 R50 Cooper Rebuild Let the Fun Begin! :popcorn:

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 03:31 PM
MazMini
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 R50 Cooper Rebuild Let the Fun Begin!

So as most of you guys saw I hit a deer (A Huge One) only 2 weeks after owning my 2002 Mini Cooper. Being that I only had PIP on the car I decided to go in a rebuild this thing and make it a ultimate daily driver.. So here goes!!!!

Here are some pics of the car after the accident. Looked like decepticon took it out..

Finally after couple weeks I found a huge storage garage at my apartment complex for about $100 and now this is where the fun begin. I have worked in and around my uncles body shop for a long time so I needed to tear it down and take a good look at what Im up against..

COUPLE OF THINGS THAT I NOTICED IMMEDIATELY.

- The Intake Manifold was cracked
- Condenser was bent but not punctured
- Fan and Radiator was totally demolished
- Couple sensors broke and air lines damaged
- Front Bumper Impact bar Absorbed most of the impact but was broken as well
- I also have a ton of salvageable parts (clips, screws , Bolts, etc.. )
- BUT NO FRAME DAMAGE OR DAMAGE TO THE MOTOR OR TRANSMISSION !!!! WOOOO!!!
- DAMN i GOT SOME OIL LEAKS!

MY S4 LOOKING ANGRY AS USUAL

Final View for Today..

While I got it down I will get a new Alternator, Water Pump and Ac Compressor (made noise while running) and probably convert the clutch to a single mass flywheel .. I will keep you all updated...

Last edited by MazMini; 11-06-2015 at 01:05 AM.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:32 PM
MazMini
3rd Gear
Reserved for updates..

Last edited by MazMini; 11-05-2015 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:32 PM
MazMini
3rd Gear
Reserved for more pics and updates!

Old 10-28-2015, 03:33 PM
MazMini
3rd Gear
Reserved for more pics and updates and more crap!

Old 10-28-2015, 04:18 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Whoo-hoo! Let it begin. If you need anything be sure to let me know and good luck with it all. Clean S4 BTW. *Subscribed*

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 10-29-2015, 05:01 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Originally Posted by MazMini
So as most of you guys saw I hit a deer (A Huge One) only 2 weeks after owning my 2002 Mini Cooper. Being that I only had PIP on the car I decided to go in a rebuild this thing and make it a ultimate daily driver.. So here goes!!!!

Here are some pics of the car after the accident. Looked like decepticon took it out..

Finally after couple weeks I found a huge storage garage at my apartment complex for about $100 and now this is where the fun begin. I have worked in and around my uncles body shop for a long time so I needed to tear it down and take a good look at what Im up against..

COUPLE OF THINGS THAT I NOTICED IMMEDIATELY.

- The Intake Manifold was cracked
- Condenser was bent but not punctured
- Fan and Radiator was totally demolished
- Couple sensors broke and air lines damaged
- Front Bumper Impact bar Absorbed most of the impact but was broken as well
- I also have a ton of salvageable parts (clips, screws , Bolts, etc.. )
- BUT NO FRAME DAMAGE OR DAMAGE TO THE MOTOR OR TRANSMISSION !!!! WOOOO!!!
- DAMN i GOT SOME OIL LEAKS!

MY S4 LOOKING ANGRY AS USUAL

Final View for Today..

While I got it down I will get a new Alternator, Water Pump and Ac Compressor (made noise while running) and probably convert the clutch to a single mass flywheel .. I will keep you all updated...

This will be a great thread, glad you are rebuilding it.

Let me know if you need anything.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 10-29-2015, 04:14 PM
valvashon
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Pretty sure the R50 already has a single mass flywheel in it, unless somebody has been in the clutch before you got it. If you are replacing the clutch I would get something other than a Valeo. Can't remember what clutch I put in my wife's car recently but can research it if you want.

You should re-use the plastic valve cover shroud- it's got a nice "battle-scar" look to it!

Val

P.S.- you probably had oil leaks before. This would be a good time for a pan gasket and that other little round gasket up front that always leaks oil. I recommend Kurt's (ModMini on YouTube) videos. Good quality and he's a top-notch self taught mechanic. He's local to me and does much of my work (well, I help a bit).

Last edited by valvashon; 10-29-2015 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Added
Old 10-29-2015, 08:49 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
I like these threads, always makes me a bit envious of the skill level of people who can put these back together, especially in a regular garage. GL

Old 10-30-2015, 05:01 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Yep, the R50 has a single mass flywheel.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 10-30-2015, 04:51 PM
MazMini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Yep, the R50 has a single mass flywheel.

Sweet!!!! Thats good to know I was going to hit you guys up on Monday to verify.. I did notice some chatter or light rattle under acceleration 2-4k range which made me think it had a dual mass clutch. I think it might be the throw out bearing or just a noisy clutch. Im not sure how many miles are on the clutch so I will just switch the whole thing out and probably resurface the flywheel.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:17 PM
MiniLife
1st Gear
another S4 owner Looking forward to your build!!

Old 11-02-2015, 06:04 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Sweet!!!! Thats good to know I was going to hit you guys up on Monday to verify.. I did notice some chatter or light rattle under acceleration 2-4k range which made me think it had a dual mass clutch. I think it might be the throw out bearing or just a noisy clutch. Im not sure how many miles are on the clutch so I will just switch the whole thing out and probably resurface the flywheel.

You are welcome. The rattle is mostly the throw out bearing. Thats what went on mine. The flywheel can be resurfaces with the singe mass , I would only have its resurfaced once. Next time I need a clutch, i will get a new flywheel as its been resurfaced once already. Most NAPAs or machine shops can do it.

Old 11-03-2015, 06:42 AM
MazMini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Whoo-hoo! Let it begin. If you need anything be sure to let me know and good luck with it all. Clean S4 BTW. *Subscribed*
While changing the clutch Im changing the rear main seal... is there anything else that I should be changing as well?? I saw that you guys have the Upper and lower Release Fork Bushing as part of the super clutch kit. I want to do preventative maintenance while in there.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:08 PM
MazMini
3rd Gear
Mid Week Update..

MID WEEK UPDATE

- REMOVED THE HOOD
- REMOVED THE INTAKE MANIFOLD.. SURPRISINGLY THE PORTS ON THE HEAD WAS NOT THAT DIRTY. I CLEANED IT OUT WITH SOME BRAKE CLEANER ON A RAG AND THEN VACUUMED EACH ONE FOR ANY LINT OR ANYTHING LEFT OVER.. NOTE THE CRACKS ON THE INTAKE MANIFOLD FROM THE ACCIDENT
- REMOVED THE BROKEN DRIVERS SIDE FENDER LINER

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m...DBD0FB883C.jpg
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m...27DAD4B1BF.jpg

THEN CAME THE BRAKES
- REMOVING THE CALIPERS AND PADS WERE NOT THAT BAD. EVEN THE BRACKET.. HOWEVER IM NOW STUCK ON THE BOLT THAT HOLDS THE ROTORS ON. I HAVE PB BLASTED THE THING AND I THINK IM GOING TO USE MY HEAT GUN TO HEAT UP THE BOLT. AS YOU CAN SEE THE ROTOR ITSELF IS COMPLETELY SHOT AND RUSTED OUT. I AM GOING TO REPAIR THE CALIPERS AND BRACKETS BLACK AND CLEAN THEM UP

A LITTLE FINAL SHOT FOR THE DAY

Old 11-05-2015, 07:33 PM
MazMini
3rd Gear
- AFTER DEALING WITH A STUCK ROTOR BOLT FOR 1/2 A DAY.. I HAD TO DRILL IT OUT TO FIND A SUPER RUSTY WHEEL HUB..
- I ALSO DECIDED TO PAINT THE RUSTY CALIPERS AND CALIPER BRACKET GOLD TO MATCH SOME WHEELS IM GETTING AFTER WINTER..
- WHILE WAITING FOR THE PAINT TO DRY I DECIDED TO DO THE VALVE COVER GASKET. I DID NOTICE HOW CLEAN THE HEAD WAS AT 119K WHEN I TOOK OFF THE VALVE COVER ON. (COMPARED TO SOME OF THE OTHER CARS I HAD BEFORE)
- FINISHED EVERYTHING WITH THE NEW ROTORS AND PADS AND REPAINTED CALIPERS..ANTI-SEIZED EVERTHING!! I CANNOT DEAL WITH ANYMORE RUSTED BOLTS OR SCREWS.. THINGS SHOULD NOT BE SHAKING WHEN IT GETS BACK ON THE ROAD. IM ALSO THINKING ABOUT GETTING SOME STEEL BRAIDED LINES TO FIRM UP THE BRAKE PEDAL FEEL..

- A SHOT WHILE IT SITS FOR THE NEXT COUPLE DAYS WHILE I WAIT FOR PARTS TO COME IN ....

Old 11-06-2015, 06:41 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Looks good, some rusty rotors and screw going on there.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:03 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
While changing the clutch Im changing the rear main seal... is there anything else that I should be changing as well?? I saw that you guys have the Upper and lower Release Fork Bushing as part of the super clutch kit. I want to do preventative maintenance while in there.
In our clutch replacement DIY here we suggestion doing these complimentary modifications: Replace starter, overhaul shift bushings, replace flywheel. It also states, replace the clutch release fork and the master/slave cylinders at the same time for added insurance. Yes, our kits will have a lot of great replacement parts that will help with some preventative maintenance as well.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

Last edited by PelicanParts.com; 11-06-2015 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:40 PM
MazMini
3rd Gear
--------- WEEKEND UPDATE ------- 11/9/2015

- DECIDED TO MOVE ONTO THE REAR ROTORS.. JUST AS BAD AS THE FRONT... WHILE UNDER THERE I SAW THE FUEL RETURN HOSE WAS IN REALLY BAD SHAPE SO I DECIDED TO CHANGE THAT OUT...
- CHANGED THE FUEL DOOR TO THE R53 CHROME ONE.. BEST $40.00 MOD EVER!
- STRIPPED DOWN THE HEADLINER AND SAW THAT THE ROOF HAS CARDBOARD AS SOUND DEADENING MATERIAL.. THATS COMING OFF AND I WILL BE PUTTING SOME PEEL AND SEAL ON THE ROOF TO HELP QUIET DOWN THE CAR..

NEXT UP....

- SUEDE HEALINER (EBAY FABRIC)
- SOUND DEADENING MATERIAL ON THE ROOF AND REAR SIDE PANELS AND UNDER REAR SEAT..
- NEW 6X9 JVC SPEAKERS

Old 11-10-2015, 07:05 PM
Kristof
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice thread. Cant wait to see what all you do with it.

Old 11-11-2015, 05:39 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
This is awesome. Nice pics and detail.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:52 PM
MazMini
3rd Gear
Weekend Update 11/14

- DECIDED TO STRIP THE CARD BOARD OFF THE ROOF JUST HORRIBLE ... NO MATTER WHY THE CAR WAS SOO LOUD..

- I USED PEEL AND SEAL AND DECIDED TO JUST GO ALL OUT AND DO EVERYTHING I CAN TO QUIET DOWN THE CAR.. ONE THING I CAN SAY IS THAT THIS STUFF WORKS

- CHANGED OUT THE REAR DOOR AND FRONT DOOR SPEAKERS AND SOUND PROOFED THE DOOR AND REAR QUARTER PANELS...

- CHANGED OUT THE FUEL FILTER ... OMFG.. SEE THE PICS IT WAS INSANELY DIRTY. I HAD TO USE A TURKEY BASER TYPE ORDEAL TO PULL THE OLD DIRTY FUEL OUT OF THE FILTER HOUSING.

- NEXT ON THE LIST WAS THE DRIVERS SIDE WINDOW REGULATOR.. NOT TOO BAD OF A PROJECT JUST NEED TO FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS ON PELICANPARTS.COM AND YOU CAN WALK THROUGH IT. IM HAVING SOME PROBLEMS WITH THE WINDOW GOING UP BUT I NEED TO CLIP THE CABLES UP TOP BACK IN PLACE. ...

ON VACATION IN FL ON THE BEACH FOR A WEEK!!!! MIGHT DO A MONDAY EVENING UPDATE.. TRIED MY HAND AT THE HEADLINER LETS SEE HOW THAT TURNS OUT..

Old 11-15-2015, 06:48 PM
BMC_Kid
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
God I hate deer...

Nearly hit one this weekend but I was in my F250 with massive brush guard so would have had some jerky afterwards but at the last second the deer decided to do the smart thing and go back the way it came. Actually not smart, just a reflex as these are absolutely the dumbest animals on the planet. But there sure are tasty! Looking forward to seeing the project completed!

Old 11-16-2015, 01:37 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Wow great job on the sound insulation.

Old 11-28-2015, 06:03 PM
MazMini
3rd Gear
After thanksgiving and fl vacation update!!!

AFTER THANKSGIVING AND FL VACATION UPDATE!!!

Well after some time away from the cold in FL, I got back and got a few things done then had to leave for Thanksgiving but here is the latest..

- I FINISHED THE DRIVERS SIDE WINDOW REGULATOR. THE WHITE CLIPS BROKE THAT HOLDS THE CABLES IN PLACE INSIDE THE DOOR. I JUST FINISHED CLEANING UP SOME WIRES INSIDE THE HOUSE SO I USED WHAT I HAD TO CREATE A CLIP OF SOME SORT AND IT WORKED OUT WELL.

- WHILE IN THERE I DECIDED TO CHANGE OUT THE DOOR SPEAKERS SINCE I DID THE REAR 6x9'S.. BOY O BOY DO THEY SOUND GOOD ON THE STOCK HEAD UNIT.

DRIVERS SIDE DOOR ALL DONE..

- THE PASSENGER SIDE STARTED WORKING AFTER THE ACCIDENT (GUESS THE MOTOR IS GOING) .. I PUT PEEL AND SEAL ON THE INNER DOOR AND SWAPPED OUT THE SPEAKER. WHEN I TOOK THE PANEL OFF THE SPEAKER FELL TO THE FLOOR.. AFTER 13YRS IT WAS GONE!

- TOOK OFF THE ALTERNATOR, WATER PUMP AND THE AC COMPRESSOR. ( THE COMPRESSOR WAS ALREADY MAKING NOISE SO I GOT A REPLACEMENT. IM ALSO REPLACING THE ALTERNATOR AND WATER PUMP JUST A PIECE OF MIND AND FOR THE PRICE OF BOTH ITS NOT A BAD THING.

- AFTER GETTING IT OFF I NOTICED A BUNCH OF CAKED ON OIL AND GUNK.. NOT SURE WHERE ITS COMING FROM.. I ORDERED A NEW OIL PAN GASKET AND DRAIN PLUG. I ALSO HAVE THE FRONT CRANK MAIN SEAL AND THE REAR MAIN SEAL TO DO WHEN I DROP THE TRANSMISSION NEXT WEEK. NOW I AM GOING TO HAVE TO PUSH THE CAR OUT AND WASH THE MOTOR DOWN BEFORE WORKING ON IT. THE LITTLE BIT OF GUNK I SPRAYED ON IT DIDNT DO A THING.

- I NOTICED A LOT OF GUNK AROUND THE CRANK POSITION SENOR (AT LEAST I THINK THATS WHAT IT IS. DOES THIS THING COME WITH A GASKET? I NOTICED ALOT OF THINGS OF THIS CAR DIDNT HAVE THE PROPER GASKETS.

- LAST I TOOK THE APART THE OLD BROKEN MANIFOLD TO TRANSFER STUFF OVER TO THE NEW MANIFOLD. I ALSO CLEANED UP THE NEW MANIFOLD AND CLEANED OUT THE GROOVES AND INSPECTED FOR ANY DAMAGES. I DID TAKE A LOOK AT THE OLD MANIFOLD AND DAMN IT GOT ITS *** BEAT WHEN THE FAN AND RADIATOR COLLIDED WITH IT.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:53 PM
Filmy
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I NOTICED A LOT OF GUNK AROUND THE CRANK POSITION SENOR (AT LEAST I THINK THATS WHAT IT IS. DOES THIS THING COME WITH A GASKET? I NOTICED ALOT OF THINGS OF THIS CAR DIDNT HAVE THE PROPER GASKETS.

CPS, yes, and it's a well-known oil leak issue. There's a really inexpensive O-ring inside. Just clean up around it, unbolt it and roll on the new O-ring. Now's the time...

Quick Reply: R50/53 R50 Cooper Rebuild Let the Fun Begin! :popcorn: