R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 550 Injectors and meth/water injection locations

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 05:46 PM
SethC
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
550 Injectors and meth/water injection locations

Okay every one I need some input I am in the middle of getting my mini some upgrades and i need a little advice first off i need would like to know if anyone else has used the 550cc Bosch injectors here on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/291547859270?_trksid=p2060353.m2763.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
I am going to go get my car tuned at helix here in a couple weeks and been thinking i want to get bigger injectors before the tune.

Second thing I want to ask is i'm about to put in a methanol/water kit from snow performance and i would like to know where the best locations are to mount the spray nozzles and where do people typically mount the boost on off green/red led lights that come with the kit.(the last is trivial but just wanted an opinion)

Old 10-04-2015, 05:47 PM
SethC
1st Gear
pictures of injector mount points would be appreciated

Old 10-04-2015, 08:35 PM
David.R53
5th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I have a set of those injectors, but am waiting for a tune day to install them. Was afraid of driving around with them without a tune. Don't want to burn some valves or kill my cat!

I signed up for the session at Helix, too!

Old 10-04-2015, 09:53 PM
SethC
1st Gear
Originally Posted by David.R53
I have a set of those injectors, but am waiting for a tune day to install them. Was afraid of driving around with them without a tune. Don't want to burn some valves or kill my cat!

I signed up for the session at Helix, too!
Yeah I was wondering if it would make a difference if I put them in without the tune as well. I don't think it would make a difference since the CPU won't have the injectors inject anymore then what they're used to on the stock tune

Old 10-05-2015, 02:53 AM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I think you will have some issues if you put them in without a tune, I would definitely hold off until the tune.

Old 10-05-2015, 04:29 AM
SethC
1st Gear
yeah I will hold off then, Does anyone have information on the Methanol injector location?

Old 10-05-2015, 04:33 AM
Spencer Roper
3rd Gear
550 injectors huh.....
Do u have 380s, or 440s, how big is your turbo conversion....
If you can't answer any of these questions you don't need 550cc injectors
They are to large and tuning them for street drivable uses its going to be a real pain

And if your looking at meth I suggest using the intercooler horns as the unit dispersion point .You can input it directly into the incoming charged air on the drivers side horn.

I wouldn't suggest doing either of these until you understand how they work....

Old 10-05-2015, 05:16 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Some versions of the 550 are the RMW preferred version....the best ones scale very nicely, provides lots of headroom for future mods, and give a good idle...
But they pretty much have to be installed at the tune location...
Warning...you need an adaptor harness to make them fit...
And there is more than one version of the 550...they have different injector spray patterns...no real way to tell without the oapartrt numbers of the injectors...a few threads have the right one..just need to search and do the legwork to save the $$...
Get the wrong ones, and you have wasted your $$ on the tune...car will not run right cause the spray will hit the back if the valves and drip into the cylinders... Results, lower power, bad idle, etc...
Snows kit is great...lots of support...and a GREAT writeup from the maker over on the "other" MINI board...motoring allianc*.com....

Last edited by ZippyNH; 10-05-2015 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Spelling, etc
Old 10-05-2015, 05:19 AM
SethC
1st Gear
Well I don't have a turbo since I posted in the first generation mini section (meaning I have a supercharged r53) I'm aware of how methanol injection works and I know that some people use the driver side intake horn as a mount location, I would like to know of other options. If anyone has accessed CFD analysis for the intake that would be vary helpful.

Old 10-05-2015, 06:01 AM
Spencer Roper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by SethC
Well I don't have a turbo since I posted in the first generation mini section (meaning I have a supercharged r53) I'm aware of how methanol injection works and I know that some people use the driver side intake horn as a mount location, I would like to know of other options. If anyone has accessed CFD analysis for the intake that would be vary helpful.
I said turbo " conversion ". considering that 90% of supercharged high hp minis are on 380s .....I wanted to be sure you didn't convert it.

Also looking for a place other than the scientifically ideal for the nosil didn't make sense....it's there because it's the IDEAL LOCATION
If you knew how meth worked you wouldn't try to find another mounting spot...unless you have a way to test IATs at different points in your intake tract

Old 10-05-2015, 09:45 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
im not sure about the injectors, but they look the same as mine that I have waiting to go in. don't worry about the drivability of 550's, it can be done but a tune is definitely necessary. as for the meth injection, the horn post IC has a circle from casting, this is the best place, since theres plenty of material to tap, and its post IC, some have sprayed a minimal amount pre charger too, most stay away from that

Old 10-05-2015, 12:04 PM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Spencer Roper
550 injectors huh.....
Do u have 380s, or 440s, how big is your turbo conversion....
If you can't answer any of these questions you don't need 550cc injectors
They are to large and tuning them for street drivable uses its going to be a real pain

And if your looking at meth I suggest using the intercooler horns as the unit dispersion point .You can input it directly into the incoming charged air on the drivers side horn.

I wouldn't suggest doing either of these until you understand how they work....

I was thinking the same thing....550cc injectors won't make any more power than a set of 380cc injectors.....unless your motor actually needs the extra fuel. There are guys making well over 225HP running the 380cc injectors with no problems at all.

Old 10-05-2015, 12:23 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by IQRaceworks
I was thinking the same thing....550cc injectors won't make any more power than a set of 380cc injectors.....unless your motor actually needs the extra fuel. There are guys making well over 225HP running the 380cc injectors with no problems at all.
At about 200 HP you start to be fuel limited at higher rpms on a tune...
Straight out of Jan!RMW when I had my car tuned....I maxed out at 200 HP...he thought I might have been able to get a bit more with his gger injectors ..I had jcw 380''s...
One warning...
The LOOK OF THE INJECTOR BODY has nothing to do with the spray pattern....
There are several different spray patterns...and only one works best on the r53...
The OEM and JCW injectors have a duelcone pattern....
There is a huge mega thread with all the SPECFIC injector info from about a year ago....

Old 10-05-2015, 12:28 PM
Finhead
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Really good info on injectors here, I saved this from awhile back.
I went with the Bosch "White Giants" Which have been sitting for 6 months, hope to get them installed in the next few weeks.
http://www.c0op3r.com/MINI/FuelInjector.html

Old 10-05-2015, 04:16 PM
SethC
1st Gear
Thanks everyone on the injector input the tech article is very informative.

Old 10-06-2015, 04:59 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
At about 200 HP you start to be fuel limited at higher rpms on a tune...
Straight out of Jan!RMW when I had my car tuned....I maxed out at 200 HP...he thought I might have been able to get a bit more with his gger injectors ..I had jcw 380''s...
One warning...
The LOOK OF THE INJECTOR BODY has nothing to do with the spray pattern....
There are several different spray patterns...and only one works best on the r53...
The OEM and JCW injectors have a duelcone pattern....
There is a huge mega thread with all the SPECFIC injector info from about a year ago....
I know my 03' JCW came with the 200hp JCW tune, and it had the 340cc injectors (stock S size)...and even with a 17% pulley, it was still running plenty rich on the AFR's. I did put some 380cc injectors in it, but it didn't help much with more power....even after a canned tune designed for them.

I have seen some guys on Mini Torque saying they were running 240hp at the wheels with the stock S injectors (340cc?) and were right at the limit. ...not saying it's smart to do that

Old 10-06-2015, 05:33 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by IQRaceworks
I have seen some guys on Mini Torque saying they were running 240hp at the wheels with the stock S injectors (340cc?) and were right at the limit. ...not saying it's smart to do that
An injector is just a nozzle and a solenoid. Aside from spray pattern--which can have an effect on the engine's performance--the important issue is that you can scale the injector to deliver the right amount of fuel for your application. If a 380cc injector can produce enough fuel per engine revolution, a 550cc injector isn't going to produce more power.

Tuners like Jan prefer using injectors that they are familiar with so they don't have to scale an different injector every time they tune a car. If they know the injector and mods on a car they can start with maps that are close.

Oh, and 240whp on stock injectors? I'd call those numbers optimistic.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:18 AM
Spencer Roper
3rd Gear
^ this

I can tell you in my years of tuning how many times I saw kids with huge injectors on their car because their tuner said it's what's needed.
It's what is needed to get a tune done in a timley manner if the tuner isn't comfortable with latency dialing. Some tuners have a comfort zone. I know mine was with FIC bluemaxx 2150s but I'd never reccomend them to someone with a relatively stock setup. Instead I just worked at how to calculate ideal latency for any injector I received and or installed

I shall agree with helix that that 240 is optimistic and ill venture further and say...probably BS

Old 10-07-2015, 07:01 AM
SethC
1st Gear
Yes I am very aware that the bigger the injector do not mean the more power; but rather opens up the range at which the fuel flow can be adjusted. Meaning if you need more fuel your injectors can deliver it to the engine instead of being limited.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:23 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SethC
Yes I am very aware that the bigger the injector do not mean the more power; but rather opens up the range at which the fuel flow can be adjusted. Meaning if you need more fuel your injectors can deliver it to the engine instead of being limited.
Why go with 550cc injectors and not 440 or 380? Just wondering......

Old 10-07-2015, 08:45 AM
SethC
1st Gear
The prices are about the same so might as well get the larger size just in case I need the extra fuel output in the future.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:40 AM
Gremothra
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went with the Bosch 550s and a RMW tune.

Also recently added the AEM Methanol kit.

I installed the pump under the passenger seat and the tank right behind the passenger seat because I wanted the weight center of the vehicle. Plus I don't have a back seat.

Nozzle is driver side horn.

Grem....

Old 10-07-2015, 10:51 AM
SethC
1st Gear
Great! Hey what adapters did you go with when you used the 550cc injectors im wondering if I should buy a pigtail type adapter for them.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:03 PM
Gremothra
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I purchased the injectors from M7 and they came with the appropriate pigtails.

Grem....

Old 10-08-2015, 04:59 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Just out of curiosity.....what kind of HP numbers can the 550cc injectors support before you start getting to the end of their fuel flow capabilities?

Quick Reply: R50/53 550 Injectors and meth/water injection locations