R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Water, Water, Water!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 11:47 AM
USNAE2
2nd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Water, Water, Water!

Ok, I had the dreaded 3rd brake like issue and read the posts about the diode repair. Not an issue since I was an Aviation Electrician in the Navy for 9 years and have been in the electrical/electronic field ever since.

Lifted the rug and could not for the life of me find the diode!

However, there was ALOT of water under the carpet and it actually went all the way to the back. Luckily, I was able to mess with this at work yesterday
I went through almost a whole roll of industrial towels drying up what I could and left it open in the sun (since our parking is gated).
After a little while the brake light went out! So definitely had to do with moisture. Which is good since I could not find the white box with the diode anywhere!

My question is...where in the hell did all of the water come from! I don't have a sun roof and never have had water inside through the windows or such. Are there outside drains that reroute water underneath the car that may be clogged or something? I ran the AC at like 65 when I had the doors open and rug up to see if I could see dripping because of the amount of water it should have been obvious.

I can only surmise that it may have been from car washes and rain?

Are there outside drains that route the water??? If so, where? That way I can see if they are clogged because it was a pain to dry up all of that water and would rather not do it again.

TIA!

Old 10-01-2015, 12:21 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Good NAM thread here, look at post #10. Also, some very good info in this NAM thread here and I linked directly to a post that lists some good suggestions for you to possibly help determine where it's coming from.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 10-01-2015, 02:25 PM
USNAE2
2nd Gear
Thank you for that info! I went out and checked the ac drain even though I would see water underneath the car when it is running. I looked under the hood passenger side and found a red shop rag (that had evidently been there a while) stuck in the section that has the drain for the engine compartment! That probably was blocking the drainage hole causing it to find another route...evidently in to the car. I hope that was it an I have no more water issues...Thanks.

Old 10-01-2015, 02:27 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Originally Posted by USNAE2
Thank you for that info! I went out and checked the ac drain even though I would see water underneath the car when it is running. I looked under the hood passenger side and found a red shop rag (that had evidently been there a while) stuck in the section that has the drain for the engine compartment! That probably was blocking the drainage hole causing it to find another route...evidently in to the car. I hope that was it an I have no more water issues...Thanks.
Good find! Hope that is your issue and it is now resolved.

Old 10-01-2015, 02:47 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
I did a big guffaw when I read this and thought DUMMY

and then had an honesty moment ...

I few years back I hit the wipers on my Miata and they were super sluggish until they stopped all together . . . . having had a wiper motor fail once, I knew the cost and pain of replacing. I went investigating ...

And found a screw driver caught in the linkage ..... something I'd left my last engine 'play day' ...... remove screw driver, everything works fine . . .

Now I know why aviation types spend money on tool boxes with slots for every tool and inventory b4 the job is done .... and why nurses count the sponges!

Old 10-01-2015, 03:45 PM
USNAE2
2nd Gear
I didn't leave the rag there and you had to look for it since it was pushed down. Being in aviation, I am very aware of where my tools and such are...my wife thinks I am too neat in the garage...lol.

Old 10-01-2015, 03:46 PM
USNAE2
2nd Gear

Broke a yellow clip behind this B-Pillar section. Is this the part # 07-13-1-503-417?

Old 10-08-2015, 07:21 AM
USNAE2
2nd Gear
Well....it has been a week and the passenger carpet is wet again so, i would assume there is water under there AGAIN! Figured it was wet because this morning the 3rd brake light was on (didn't notice it yesterday when I got home). Felt the carpet when I got to work...yup wet!
It rained here but, I didn't really drive in anything that I would consider a lot of rain, spritz here and there. Definitely not enough to make it this wet. So..having said that it must be the AC since it has been on basically everyday.
Where could it leak from inside? I checked the outside drain and water comes out when it's running.
I can't go through this once a week!
It is DEFINITELY water, not coolant.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:16 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
I'd think it's the drain, which when it gets clogged it will get backed up inside the vehicle. Maybe it's partially clogged? I'd take a look at it and try to use a wet vac to suck anything out that may be stuck. If you can, I'd just try to start looking around to see if you can find a source of where it is leaking from. Check the seals around the windshield and look at the upper panel areas to make sure there isn't any water residue. Maybe pull the headliner in the front down a little bit on some areas to make sure they aren't wet. You could have someone spray the car with a pressure washer on the outside while you sit inside to make sure it's not leaking into the car somewhere. Just some ideas.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:53 PM
USNAE2
2nd Gear
I have discovered it definitely is the AC. I have the seat out and the carpet up and when I turn on the AC starts to leak from the front left of the passenger side close to the center console. I poked the drain from underneath with a hanger and nothing comes out. I sucked on it with the shop vac but it doesn't seem to help. Is the drain supposed to be as wide at the top as it is on the bottom? Hard to tell with a hanger but it doesn't seem so. Is there any other way to clean the drain?? Where is the top end located? I need help! I took the rest of the day off to get this sorted out. it's my 5th anniversary this Saturday and didn't think working on my car would make the wife too happy. Sunday is out too for the same reason.

Old 10-15-2015, 01:09 PM
USNAE2
2nd Gear
Thought I had it fixed....but NO! It's been a week and wet carpet again! Going to see if MiniWork will clean it out after they rest my airbag light (which they said would do for free). If not, then it's some jack stands and I will get under the car and try again...after, I dry and vac up all the water

Old 04-16-2020, 07:06 AM
CooperBran
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Every get that issue resolved?

Thought I had it fixed....but NO! It's been a week and wet carpet again! Going to see if MiniWork will clean it out after they rest my airbag light (which they said would do for free). If not, then it's some jack stands and I will get under the car and try again...after, I dry and vac up all the water
Good morning I was wanting to know how did you get that drain plug unclogged?

Old 04-18-2020, 08:25 AM
Grand-Cayman
3rd Gear
Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts
We have a FIat Abarth and had same issue with AC drain hose. We bought it new and the hose had NEVER BEEN HOOKED UP! Crazy...

Old 04-18-2020, 12:40 PM
MiniManAdam
6th Gear
Received 608 Likes on 480 Posts
Mine started leaking from the edges of the windows and the tops very little. I think over time the seals compressed . I just adjust the stop jam alittle so they closed in a little further and it fixed it..I found it the 1st time I went through a high pressure brushless car wash..

Old 11-04-2020, 02:05 PM
Serafin
5th Gear
Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts
Check check 1, 2 ! thread still Alive? here's Mine, would love a number #?

Old 06-16-2022, 05:31 PM
awcoddin
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know this is an old thread but were you ever able to find the leak? Having exact same issue!

Old 06-17-2022, 07:17 AM
USNAE2
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by awcoddin
I know this is an old thread but were you ever able to find the leak? Having exact same issue!
I ended up spraying electronics cleaner, Bleach & water and Simple Green up the drain tube coming out the bottom of the car. As well as gently pushing a metal coat hanger to see if there was a physical clog. One or all of the combinations must have done something as I no longer have the issue. However, I try not to run the AC for hours on end but the times I do run it no issues. Before it didn't take long at all for there to be an issue...usually noted by the 3rd Brake light being on with the car off.