R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Anyone run nitrous on their R53?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 03:37 PM
ottawa
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IQRaceworks
So now you are outrunning 435hp 5.0 mustangs? Maybe you should race someone who knows how to drive ...

You're right, I'm an idiot and there isn't a point in even posting anything...

I'm glad that you've now wasted my time as I was trying to help you with what ever input I could.

Please go on telling people what ever you wish, don't blow up your JCW with to much spray.

Old 09-28-2015, 03:47 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
So now you are outrunning 435hp 5.0 mustangs? Maybe you should race someone who knows how to drive ...
you do realize that mustang weighs 3700 lbs right? It's not all about the hp...

Old 09-28-2015, 04:11 PM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by bavmotors
you do realize that mustang weighs 3700 lbs right? It's not all about the hp...
You're 100% right...it's about torque, which the mini has none (155ft/lbs +/-) compared to a big V8 (Mustang is running 400ft/lbs stock).

Show me a video with a streetable R53 with street tires and only bolt ons like (head, header, pulley, intake, exhaust, cam)..... that can run high 12's in the 1/4 mil and I will shut up. Stock 2015 5.0 mustangs run around 12.8-13.0 in the 1/4.

I think you guys are living a pipe dream......but like I said, show me the proof...and I will admit that I don't know what I'm taking about

Old 09-29-2015, 10:43 AM
XsV
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dang... This thread got a little hostile.

Boys, trust me. As a mad JDM fan who is always running or rooting on the underdog, I love stories about 4 bangers smoking various v8+ flavors. But when you really get down to it, with equal drivers, our Minis don't stand a chance with those big HP and displacement muscle cars on a drag strip. We'll have a better chance at winning when things get curvy. If you bought your Mini to be a drag demon, you wasted your money. It's simply not what it's for.

Obviously there are always exceptions and I'm usually the first person to repost those videos on Facebook and scream "SEE, I'LL TAKE ANYONE ON IN MY MCS!" But unless you have a complete drag setup, and I mean far beyond just what was mentioned like twincharged or juiced, don't even plan on getting near the muscle heads that couldn't care less about actually turning their steering wheel.

Although I feel like all of this was already common sense...

Old 09-29-2015, 11:00 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Yep, you are 100% right.

Don't get me wrong, I love my MINI....don't ever plan on getting rid of it. But they are never going to have big power that's going to complete with a big V8 on acceleration. But they aren't made for that, they are made for the twistys.

So when I see people saying that their MINI outran a new 435hp 5.0 Mustang (that's if it's bone stock) on a straight section of road...I have to call them out on it.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:30 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
The new mustang, no I can't see an r53 winning that ever. From a dig the r53 will really struggle to be competitive, from a typical street roll, a 275 hp mini can punch above its weight. Since the op seems to be concerned with straight line power, I'd get some really good tires if you wanna keep the wheel spin acceptable.

Old 09-29-2015, 02:04 PM
EuroTechsAZ
Former Vendor
we run Nitrous on a handful of cars. It works great. 75HP wet shots are what we limit to stock engines. Have one car really close to that 300whp mark on the bottle. It's cheap fast power from the get go but bottle refills add up quick. I ended up buying mother tank just for myself.
Few pics of various installs

sleeper kit hidden in air box

75hp shot on stock engine with header and 15% pulley.

Old 09-29-2015, 02:08 PM
XsV
2nd Gear
But with that roll bar setup, how are you ever going to fit two more people in the back?

Looks great. Good to know a safe shot limit for the OP.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:29 PM
eMINI of the State
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Our car not only can run nitrous, it loves it. I've run 60hp shots on a stock motor without issue and have run it constantly and have it synced with my methanol system, so pre detonation is not a worry, and that was without any timing retard. My new block is built and forged and I had a custom head made with softened chambers and small intakes and ceramic treated which I plan on hitting a reliable 100hp shot. I actually have codeveloped plug and play kits for the mini with multiple tier features to fit any budget starting at $450 and the all out kit at $1000. The lower kits run a progressive 30-50hp shot and are perfectly safe on a stock motor. The advanced 2 stage runs up to over 100 but methanol, timing adjustment and a built block are required. If interested I can show you options at your budget. It's a blast, and a shame we've been shy to I, but our block and already strong factory internals are made for it.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:41 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
damn eurotech, that 75 shot does a real nice job at 2900 rpm I suppose that's a bit of wheel spin right there?

Last edited by Saltysalt; 10-01-2015 at 07:22 AM.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:03 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Originally Posted by eMINI of the State
Our car not only can run nitrous, it loves it. I've run 60hp shots on a stock motor without issue and have run it constantly and have it synced with my methanol system, so pre detonation is not a worry, and that was without any timing retard. My new block is built and forged and I had a custom head made with softened chambers and small intakes and ceramic treated which I plan on hitting a reliable 100hp shot. I actually have codeveloped plug and play kits for the mini with multiple tier features to fit any budget starting at $450 and the all out kit at $1000. The lower kits run a progressive 30-50hp shot and are perfectly safe on a stock motor. The advanced 2 stage runs up to over 100 but methanol, timing adjustment and a built block are required. If interested I can show you options at your budget. It's a blast, and a shame we've been shy to I, but our block and already strong factory internals are made for it.
What's a "built" block?

Old 10-06-2015, 04:21 PM
XsV
2nd Gear
What's a "built" block?
He built it himself.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:26 PM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Originally Posted by XsV
He built it himself.
So he built the motor...not the block. You machine an engine block...you don't build it

Old 10-06-2015, 06:27 PM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Originally Posted by eMINI of the State
Can you please give some more info on the kits you sell

Old 10-06-2015, 10:04 PM
XsV
2nd Gear
So he built the motor...not the block. You machine an engine block...you don't build it
Hence my eye roll and overwhelming sarcasm.

Old 10-07-2015, 03:53 AM
Spencer Roper
3rd Gear
I can't believe the rubbish

Seriously whomever keeps making these ridiculous assertions and claims followed by poor math I have one thing to say.
I've been tuning drag cars long before and after the Mini cane out. At my shop we look at all new potential dragcars when they hit market. The Mini didn't have any of the requirements we looked at. We've built drag civics and felt they had better potential because if one simple thing....... SOHC.....
IF YOU WANT TO BE COMPETITIVE WITH THE v8 crowd you need a DOHC and big boost. We knew that in 2002 ....why is someone still fighting that it's a drag car. I go to drag,autox, mile runs....I literally just got back from IFO !!!!! Not one drag mini.....but tons in the handling section events.

You didn't beat a GTO or mustang ...especially not with that math....
If you want to learn physics that will help you realise your wrong I'll be glad to educate via DM after I speak with you (can't give away trade secrets for free)

Old 10-07-2015, 10:07 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Spencer Roper
I can't believe the rubbish

Seriously whomever keeps making these ridiculous assertions and claims followed by poor math I have one thing to say.
I've been tuning drag cars long before and after the Mini cane out. At my shop we look at all new potential dragcars when they hit market. The Mini didn't have any of the requirements we looked at. We've built drag civics and felt they had better potential because if one simple thing....... SOHC.....
IF YOU WANT TO BE COMPETITIVE WITH THE v8 crowd you need a DOHC and big boost. We knew that in 2002 ....why is someone still fighting that it's a drag car. I go to drag,autox, mile runs....I literally just got back from IFO !!!!! Not one drag mini.....but tons in the handling section events.

You didn't beat a GTO or mustang ...especially not with that math....
If you want to learn physics that will help you realise your wrong I'll be glad to educate via DM after I speak with you (can't give away trade secrets for free)
I don't think anyone here is under the impression that a MINI is a good base to make a drag car out of (except the guy saying that he outran a new 5.0 Mustang and LS1 GTO with his mini )......plenty of better, cheaper, faster options on there if you are in to drag racing.

I was just looking for some info on small NOS setups for a mini...just because they are cheap, make decent power for playing around with, and I've always had great luck with larger nitrous setups on my SBC motors.

Old 10-09-2015, 04:49 PM
Spencer Roper
3rd Gear
I don't think anyone here is under the impression that a MINI is a good base to make a drag car out of (except the guy saying that he outran a new 5.0 Mustang and LS1 GTO with his mini )......plenty of better, cheaper, faster options on there if you are in to drag racing.

I was just looking for some info on small NOS setups for a mini...just because they are cheap, make decent power for playing around with, and I've always had great luck with larger nitrous setups on my SBC motors.
Nitrous is fun but I prefer the aquamist setup. It's intelligent, infinitely programmable and compliant with most future power mods.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:41 PM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Nitrous is fun but I prefer the aquamist setup. It's intelligent, infinitely programmable and compliant with most future power mods.
But for $450....its about the cheapest way you can add 50, 75, or 100hp to your mini. Not saying its for everyone....but for just messing around on the street....its hard to find a better hp per $$ mod.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:19 PM
Spencer Roper
3rd Gear
I just listed one....it's more expensive but if you broke it down in to price per oz like they do in the grocers the aquamist will come out ahead. Nitrous only lasts as long as you
1) set the solenoid to trigger
2) hold down the trigger manually

Methanol is most commonly triggered while driving automatically and you can run it at all times.

Think about how much no2 refills will cost and how much you'll use
You use way less methanol daily and it's better power that's far more adaptable.

It's why nitrous is dying in the daily setup....it's irrelevant for that use so people began working with a better substitute and now nitrous is reserved mainly for big motor/turbo drag cars....where it's appropriate

I'm just saying consider that the rest of the dd world usually goes with meth because overall it's better
So at this point and time going with nitrous isn't to be faster...it's just to be different.

Old 10-10-2015, 05:49 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
I just listed one....it's more expensive but if you broke it down in to price per oz like they do in the grocers the aquamist will come out ahead. Nitrous only lasts as long as you
1) set the solenoid to trigger
2) hold down the trigger manually

Methanol is most commonly triggered while driving automatically and you can run it at all times.

Think about how much no2 refills will cost and how much you'll use
You use way less methanol daily and it's better power that's far more adaptable.

It's why nitrous is dying in the daily setup....it's irrelevant for that use so people began working with a better substitute and now nitrous is reserved mainly for big motor/turbo drag cars....where it's appropriate

I'm just saying consider that the rest of the dd world usually goes with meth because overall it's better
So at this point and time going with nitrous isn't to be faster...it's just to be different.
Meth doesn't add anywhere near the power as nitrous.....i don't think anyone would argue that. If you take a stock mini S and put a meth kit on it....what kind of power would it gain? 10hp maybe? Sure, you could spend more money and have a custom tune setup for meth that might give you some more....maybe 25hp? ....vs a 50 or 75hp shot of nitrous. No contest. Show me a stock S that gained 50hp just from adding a meth injection kit.

Last edited by IQRaceworks; 10-10-2015 at 05:56 AM.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:59 AM
Spencer Roper
3rd Gear
I never stated it made more power.....

I can't educate you on this as I feel as you are looking at it strictly from a hp only standpoint but if you feel the need to negate the hard work of the majority in the tuning community I can't stop you.
I just know that...

I don't think anyone will argue that nitrous on a dd is far better than meth....

Far more people run meth because it's controlled power.

Its good for your motor

Its far cheaper in the long run

I seriously doubt you've done any testing in meth vs nitrous for dd and power use but if you do ....youll see where me and almost two decades of racing had taught me such information

Last edited by Spencer Roper; 10-10-2015 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:16 AM
Spencer Roper
3rd Gear
No contest. Show me a stock S that gained 50hp just from adding a meth injection kit.
I can't but I can show you several stock cars that have exploded from nitrous injection......and im sure I could find more photos of blown nos motors that meth....
Sure youll look cool while you hold the button down....but when your motor blows or you run out of juice your just another small liter SOHC guy with a stock motor and bruised ego.....
Nitrous should be at the end of the list if your car is stock....another important tuning lesson

Old 10-10-2015, 12:12 PM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
I can't but I can show you several stock cars that have exploded from nitrous injection......and im sure I could find more photos of blown nos motors that meth....
Sure youll look cool while you hold the button down....but when your motor blows or you run out of juice your just another small liter SOHC guy with a stock motor and bruised ego.....
Nitrous should be at the end of the list if your car is stock....another important tuning lesson
It sounds like you have just been around people that don't know how to tune for nitrous. You aren't the only one who's been messing with nitrous for decades. But all my experience has been with big cubic inch V8s at the drag strip. In 20 years I've never burned up a motor....nor have any of my friends. You can make safe and reliable power if you know how.

Lets get back on track....this isn't a meth injection thread....plenty of those already out there.

Old 10-10-2015, 12:54 PM
Spencer Roper
3rd Gear
Okay!
Thanks for making my point. Nitrous is used and works well with big CI.
anyone can tune for nitrous man...
But most don't build for it.....
Like your stating
Enjoy the nos....
I'll make power efficiently

Quick Reply: R50/53 Anyone run nitrous on their R53?