Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Please help!!fuel leaking after changing fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 10:10 AM
PhoR53
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Please help!!fuel leaking after changing fuel filter

I changed my fuel filter yesterday. Everything went well,and i put all the components back together. Started the car and saw gas leaking out between the "green" connector and the filter cover. I snugged the connector to the filter cover very tight. But gas still leaking from that junction. Anyone has any ideas? Im thinking to buy a new filter cover and replace the connector.

Attached Thumbnails Please help!!fuel leaking after changing fuel filter-20150829_130410.jpg  
Old 08-29-2015, 03:31 PM
David.R53
5th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
There are orings on the female side of those connectors - yours probably fell out, broke, etc. I would check that first. No idea if you can buy them individually.

Be careful with the fuel - not something to troubleshoot in your garage...

Old 09-01-2015, 09:47 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
May just need to review all the components. We have a tech article here for the filter replacement, which provides some good detailed photos. Maybe look over them and compare to see possibly if something is missing or broken.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 09-01-2015, 11:50 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
I see a part # for that connection. Its 16146758282 , replace it or see it its the line. Otherwise you will have to replace the whole unit. If its the o ring you can maybe match it up.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/16146758282/

Here is the fuel filter for the R50 R52 R53 MINI Gen 1.

Fuel Filter Kit. Part number 16146757196

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/16146757196/

The ring can be removed with constantly tapping it out. Flat head screw driver works pretty good.

Here is your DIY thread for the fuel filter for Gen 1 MINIs.

Click here for a great how to thread.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-30-2016, 08:29 PM
Khal
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same issue

Originally Posted by PhoR53
I changed my fuel filter yesterday. Everything went well,and i put all the components back together. Started the car and saw gas leaking out between the "green" connector and the filter cover. I snugged the connector to the filter cover very tight. But gas still leaking from that junction. Anyone has any ideas? Im thinking to buy a new filter cover and replace the connector.
HI,
Seem like you have same issue that I am having now. Today I replaced mine replacement process went smooth since I did it through manual. Started the car and later when I was trying to put the back seat one I realized I am having some leak from the same place "green connector that goes in the filter cover". I tried a couple of times the take it out and put it back on but the still exist. How did you fix yours did yours please share so I can fix mine too.

Old 08-31-2016, 12:31 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Replace that green clip , it might be busted. Worth a shot.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-03-2017, 06:12 PM
greatfrog
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PhoR53
Hi, how did you get it resolved? I just replaced the filter today on my R56 and am having exactly the same leak from the same connector.

Funny that I found a yellow o-ring laying on the carpet and it fits on the male connector perfectly! Is it part of the sealing? Did anyone see the yellow o-ring when you disassemble your fuel filter?

Thanks!

Old 10-11-2018, 08:16 AM
dmrispoli
1st Gear
I did this recently and am having leak issues, I forgot to mark the place for my lockdown ring to torque it back down to the same spot so I suspect that is my source. Anyone know if/how I can get it right beyond trial and error? Can it be 'too tight?' I am thinking it can be too tight and push the cannister-to-tank rubber ring out of alignment (if not down into the tank).

Old 10-11-2018, 10:19 AM
greatfrog
1st Gear
Originally Posted by dmrispoli
I did this recently and am having leak issues, I forgot to mark the place for my lockdown ring to torque it back down to the same spot so I suspect that is my source. Anyone know if/how I can get it right beyond trial and error? Can it be 'too tight?' I am thinking it can be too tight and push the cannister-to-tank rubber ring out of alignment (if not down into the tank).
I think you can just torque it to spec with a torque wrench, no need to go by the lockdown ring marks.

Old 10-12-2018, 06:26 AM
dmrispoli
1st Gear
Originally Posted by greatfrog
I think you can just torque it to spec with a torque wrench, no need to go by the lockdown ring marks.
Thanks for the reply. You can do that if you have the tool. I have not looked for it specifically but it has not popped up (in searches or videos) either.

I actually fixed my leak by realizing I had caused it by not seating the cannister-to-tank rubber ring properly. I used the marks that I made on the ring the first time I opened it to see (roughly) where the ring had been before I began the repair and turned it to that general spot and it stopped leaking.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:05 PM
MiniClub
Neutral
Hello all, I am having the same issue of leaking after filter replacement. I believe mine is leaking from the fuel line connection. My green connector looks fine. Has anyone had any luck changing out the two orings inside the filter housing top? One is Yellow and the other is brown. There is a plastic ring between them to separate them. I have tried replacing them with metric orings from a kit I had but it just leaked worse. I’m hoping to get this resolved soon. Maybe a part number for the correct orings? Why is one yellow and one brown?

Old 12-05-2018, 08:14 PM
dmrispoli
1st Gear
I thought when I did mine that it was the clip, but I was wrong. My culprit when I did my filter and it leaked was the large 'floppy' ring that mates the filter housing to the opening. It has to be seated PERFECTLY to not leak, and I dont know about anyone else, but it seemed like it was a teensy bit too big for the opening so it was very squirrelly.

Old 12-06-2018, 05:45 AM
Soul Coughing
5th Gear
Received 150 Likes on 114 Posts
Don't forget to use vaseline to lubricate all the gaskets. It makes putting in the new filter so much easier. My issue I had was not clicking (turning it clockwise) the plastic top on all the way; the car primed but would not start until i realized i hadn't turned the top a quarter of an inch further.

Old 12-06-2018, 05:56 AM
Tgriffithjr
5th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
I changed my filter recently and noticed a small amount of fuel on top of the canister under the fuel line connection (green clip). The clip was fine. I changed the filter and used petroleum jelly on all seals before replacement. Petroleum jelly is a safe product for assembly of parts and is even used in auto trans assembly. Before reinserting the fuel line, where I believe my leak was originating. I took a small piece of 1200 grit wet/dry sandpaper and lightly, emphasis lightly, sanded the end of the fuel line. Just wrap the paper around the fuel line and rotate the paper a few times. Don’t squeeze hard as you are seeking to just clean up and make a smooth surface. I plugged the line back in making sure the clip snapped in place (took some effort), and so far no leak. I believe the light sanding served to just raise the surface enough to make a slightly tighter seal. I know it seems counter intuitive but I’ve had success with this on other sealing surfaces where the tolerance is tight. I don’t believe the two sealing rings in the canister are replaceable so you would need to purchase a new unit to get those two seals (another example of German overengineering). Good luck.

wow! I just saw the above post which was created while I was typing mine. Great minds think alike (Vaseline hint)!

Last edited by Tgriffithjr; 12-06-2018 at 05:58 AM. Reason: Add info
Old 03-10-2019, 12:47 PM
pakman424
Neutral
Hi, how did you get it resolved? I just replaced the filter today on my R56 and am having exactly the same leak from the same connector.

Funny that I found a yellow o-ring laying on the carpet and it fits on the male connector perfectly! Is it part of the sealing? Did anyone see the yellow o-ring when you disassemble your fuel filter?

Thanks!

Did you find out any info on this? I replaced my fuel filter and bought a new green clip. Still seems to be loosing fuel at that part. I didn't see any o-rings like the yellow one. Did that yellow o-ring go on after the green clip?

Old 03-10-2019, 09:14 PM
greatfrog
1st Gear
Originally Posted by pakman424
Did you find out any info on this? I replaced my fuel filter and bought a new green clip. Still seems to be loosing fuel at that part. I didn't see any o-rings like the yellow one. Did that yellow o-ring go on after the green clip?
I left it alone and it cured itself in a few days. It was just minor seeping to begin with, and I guess the dust in the air mixing with the fuel sealed it up over time. I didn't end up replacing any o-ring or connector. I believe the yellow o-ring came from some other random place, it is not part of the fuel line.

Old 03-10-2019, 09:34 PM
pakman424
Neutral
I left it alone and it cured itself in a few days. It was just minor seeping to begin with, and I guess the dust in the air mixing with the fuel sealed it up over time. I didn't end up replacing any o-ring or connector. I believe the yellow o-ring came from some other random place, it is not part of the fuel line.
I'll go back over my fuel filter housing and reset it in once more, I may add a o-ring just to see if it helps. If it doesn't fix it I'll check or cracks on the top of the housing. After I replaced the fuel filter the first time everything felt perfect. I was getting great mpg, with no fuel loss. Now I have to deal with the smell. It builds up in the top of the housing.

Old 04-10-2019, 02:07 PM
Brad Strom
Neutral

I messed up and put a rod where it wasn't suppose to go. That popped out the plastic piece and the o rings. My Dad then helped me out by dropping the plastic piece into the void just in front of the fuel filter housing. Dealership does not sell those pieces so I had to buy the whole filter housing. Then I just put the new top on it to keep it simple and to not risk damaging the o rings by pulling them out of the new housing. Here's a picture of the new o rings and plastic piece in their proper order if it helps anyone.

The following users liked this post:
cecethis (04-28-2020)
Old 04-25-2019, 02:15 PM
JoeyF
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So i have an issue with my car now. It runs totally fine, but i keep getting a "check gas cap" light. I could definatly smell raw fuel so i popped the cover back off (i did the filter a while back, but haven't driven the car since) upon inspection i found the top of the housing coated in gas.

I made the mistake of removing the fuel line, it was pressurized. Shot gas right in my eye... burns like a ***** F'er! Seeing as it had that much pressure after sitting a few hours i am assuming thats not the culprit.

I tightened the retaining a bit more. I noticed it was not lined up with my marks i made.

Then cleaned the housing and let the car run for about 5 minutes. No visible leaks. Car still runs like a top. However i still have the "check gas cap" light on. Could the housing be causing the light? Or was that just another issue that neededd attention?

Any suggestions?

Old 04-27-2019, 06:13 AM
Tgriffithjr
5th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
How old is the gas cap? Might need to replace it. Could also be a leak in the evap system.

Old 04-29-2019, 05:54 AM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 148 Posts
Have you tried clearing the code or disconnecting and re-connecting the battery to see if it goes away?

ECSTuning (05-08-2019)
Old 04-06-2020, 07:17 PM
RKLMINI
1st Gear
Wow, thanks for the info. I think this is what happened on ours--seemed very difficult to seat the container down into the tank. We'll try again tomorrow.
cheers,
R

ECSTuning (04-07-2020)
Old 02-18-2021, 05:33 PM
Olivier
Neutral
I had the same issue that you did...
I could not understand why this was leaking. If I tried to put the O ring on the make connector, I could not get the green clip to clip in place correctly.

After a few tries, I figured there is a black ring inside the head fuel fuel assembly (inside the female connector). The yellow o ring is suppose to be behind the black ring.
You need to remove the back ring gently with a screwdriver.
Then put the black ring on male connector then slide the yellow o ring on the connector as well.
This means you will have the following order green clip/black ring/yellow o Ring. Slide the male connector until the green clip clips in place.
You should then have no leak!

Thanks!

Old 05-30-2022, 10:36 PM
ashybebe
Neutral
Help!!! Gas leask at fuel filter houseing connection

Originally Posted by Olivier
I had the same issue that you did...
I could not understand why this was leaking. If I tried to put the O ring on the make connector, I could not get the green clip to clip in place correctly.

After a few tries, I figured there is a black ring inside the head fuel fuel assembly (inside the female connector). The yellow o ring is suppose to be behind the black ring.
You need to remove the back ring gently with a screwdriver.
Then put the black ring on male connector then slide the yellow o ring on the connector as well.
This means you will have the following order green clip/black ring/yellow o Ring. Slide the male connector until the green clip clips in place.
You should then have no leak!

This is exactly where i am in my fuel filter change. Anyone have a video or a simple way of explaining this to me. I’m scared to use the flat head on the hard plastic peice (black first part looking in) i went and found a metric o ring set.

I’m going to try it if i dont get any feedback in time…. I’m assuming remove the hard plastic peice put it on the hose itself? Then the o ring on the hose itself? I want to say there are 3 components that are supposed to be inside of it..

Old 05-30-2022, 10:37 PM
ashybebe
Neutral
How did you resolve this. I’m having the same issue