R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Wheel bearing symptoms? Loud tire like noise and uneven wear?

Old 09-02-2015, 10:23 AM
mikeBURRITO
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kahnfucious
Hey Burrito -- there was 0 play in my wheel hub after I fixed my tie rods and ball joints so I wouldn't rule out the wheel bearing yet. What I found was that with my car it happened when driving at highway speeds. The noise went away when I turned right because it shifted the weight around on or off the hub.

When the car was jacked in the air and I spun the wheel I could hear the grinding noise -- some have also stated you can feel a bad wheel bearing when touching the spring... as it will transmit the energy through.. I didnt need to touch it to figure out it was junked. Again... no play in the bearing but now that its off the car -- you can hear it grinding when you turn it by hand very easily.

You said WEIGHT on the passenger side -- which to me means something is messed up with your suspension and its RUBBING. Have you taken the wheels off on the passenger side to see if something is bent and/or you have rub marks on the inner wheel wells.

Search my name and you will see a post when I bent the upper rear control arm -- that was pretty visible with the naked eye as it looked like the top of my rear wheel was leaning in-ward.
Well,by " weight" I meant either going straight or to the left. If I gradually arc to the right the noise goes away. I don't have any rub marks in the wheel well. I just wish there was some sort of definitive symptom instead of a bunch of maybes. Which is why I'm leaning towards the drive axle.those plastic cups do wear out :/

Old 09-02-2015, 11:33 AM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeBURRITO
Well,by " weight" I meant either going straight or to the left. If I gradually arc to the right the noise goes away. I don't have any rub marks in the wheel well. I just wish there was some sort of definitive symptom instead of a bunch of maybes. Which is why I'm leaning towards the drive axle.those plastic cups do wear out :/
So yeah -- gradually arcing to the right or even just whipping to the right shifts the load of the vehicle and should make the noise go away if its a wheel bearing. Thats the pretty common test of whether or not the bearing is the issue.

How many miles are on the car, any big pot-hole hits etc..

The definitive test is to put it up in the air, put a mechanics stethoscope at the back of the hub and listen for grinding etc..

I don't understand why you think its the drive axle....

Old 09-02-2015, 04:34 PM
wildwestrider
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Kahnfucious
So yeah -- gradually arcing to the right or even just whipping to the right shifts the load of the vehicle and should make the noise go away if its a wheel bearing. Thats the pretty common test of whether or not the bearing is the issue.

How many miles are on the car, any big pot-hole hits etc..

The definitive test is to put it up in the air, put a mechanics stethoscope at the back of the hub and listen for grinding etc..

I don't understand why you think its the drive axle....
I recommended the same swerve test a few posts back (#25)

Old 02-01-2018, 02:58 PM
Bearybee
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyworld
With the wheels in the air, compare left to right by spinning the wheel with one hand and holding the suspension spring in the other hand feeling for a vibration. If the right is drastically different than the left and it isn't rubbing anywhere, could very well be the bearing/hub assembly which is a pretty easy fix as they're sold as one part.
This is Golden! I had an issue that I thought was a tire issue. No play in the bearing-Nothing. But by spinning the wheel and touching the spring, I could definitely feel a subtle vibration through the spring that I did not feel on the other side.

Thanks!

Old 11-08-2018, 08:51 PM
Phil Man
Neutral
Hello All ...I've been reading through this thread because I've had the "groaning" sound in my 2005 S model. (75,000 miles on an Arizona rust free car) Same thing .. noise becomes noticeable around 25 MPH and continues to vary related to speed (coasting or in gear). Sounds just like something could be rubbing on the inner fender but everything looks clean. The first thing I did was to rotate my tires front to back .. no change. While I had the car up, I checked to see if there was any noticeable play in the wheels ... none. Spinning the wheels there was a slight noise on the drivers side but I couldn't really tell for sure. So today I picked up a Moog hub assembly ($112.99) and replaced it. Very easy to do (took about an hour). Took the car out for a test run and the noise is still there .. my next thought is maybe replacing the passenger side hub? Does anyone know if the drive axle can cause this noise?

Old 11-09-2018, 06:53 AM
cornjuice
Banned
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
*jack the car up - put the front A-arms on stands so that the weight of the vehicle is resting on the suspension
*grab the front tires and wiggle them up/down and side/side... there should be NO discernible 'play' or slop.. if you feel a 'thud' or click before the tire moves, you got something to fix. Could be bearing, could be ball joint.

Old 11-09-2018, 01:24 PM
Phil Man
Neutral
No noticeable play left to right or up and down. I might go ahead and replace the passenger side hub next. The only other thing I can think of is the carrier bearing on the passenger side axle??? Today I drove it and noticed a very slight vibration near my feet on the floorboard then seemed to correlate to the vibration/noise speed. If replacing the hub doesn't fix it, at least I'll have two spare hubs.