R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Spences Air Ride 06 JCW Bild Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 06:50 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Nice AC wheels.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-24-2015, 07:25 AM
Spencer Roper
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish they were mine.....those are Kelly's..

Old 08-24-2015, 07:42 AM
batrugger
5th Gear
Yeah those were sold along time ago. Looking forward to seeing your MINI dropped on whatever you decide to get.

Old 08-24-2015, 07:53 AM
Spencer Roper
3rd Gear
Update!
Money for fake wheels is in my account.
I plan to go wheel shopping but I'm busy with another project of mine this week

My Evolution is going in for its next tune
We are going for 1,100+ so we can do well in some of the remaining NW Mile races.

So I will still go to Beaches Cruise In this week but I won't have any new wheel pics or the interior done until next week.

Apologies for the Mini backburner but once the rain hits here I can't drive this car. So I'm going to take advantage of the dry heat and put the petal to the metal!

The knock offs don't look to bad but they are knock offs...and not correct. Since they were free I'm gonna run them for now. I have other things to do and I'm running out if time haha. Here's a pic after I put tires on them

More soon

Old 08-25-2015, 01:27 PM
Spencer Roper
3rd Gear
UPDATE!
I received some good news as the last bits of my new interior have shipped. This includes
JCW carbon dash kit (thanks for inspiration batrugger)
JCW carbon down tubes
Bride Zeta seats
Black Union Jack wings door lock cover
Black Union Jack valve stem covers ( not interior)

I also have my eye in the outmotoring Black Union Jack gauge face set so I'm hoping to add that very soon.

I will have pictures of the car later today and some really good shots at the car show Tomorrow!

Old 08-26-2015, 07:33 AM
batrugger
5th Gear
Old 08-27-2015, 07:54 PM
Spencer Roper
3rd Gear
New MINI pics!

I'm going to add more front and rear camber to get those wheels to tuck further. I'm also going to thread the bodies down a bit, cut my fender liners and hopefully it'll be low enough!

Rain in my forecast for the remaining week coming up ....so I will have more updates with my Mini build than expected

Old 08-28-2015, 07:13 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Looking pretty sweet!! That Evo is pretty awesome! Even if we are sworn enemies. (I have an STi)

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 08-28-2015, 10:21 AM
Spencer Roper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Looking pretty sweet!! That Evo is pretty awesome! Even if we are sworn enemies. (I have an STi)
We're not enemies
I have an 02 Bugeye with a full STI RA V6 swap! Motor,trans,diff,axles, Brakes and 4.44 final

It's just another toy I built.
I really only use it in my estate grounds when it rains! But its certainly my go to car when it snows here in Oregon.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:25 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Originally Posted by Spencer Roper
We're not enemies
I have an 02 Bugeye with a full STI RA V6 swap! Motor,trans,diff,axles, Brakes and 4.44 final

It's just another toy I built.
I really only use it in my estate grounds when it rains! But its certainly my go to car when it snows here in Oregon.
Ok, so what don't you own?! This is amazing! My first car was an '02 WRX. Had it for a month until someone hit me and totaled it, but that's how I was able to get my '04 STi. Have any engine bay shots? (Don't mean to bring it too off topic from the MINI).

Old 08-28-2015, 10:38 AM
Spencer Roper
3rd Gear
Ok, so what don't you own?! This is amazing! My first car was an '02 WRX. Had it for a month until someone hit me and totaled it, but that's how I was able to get my '04 STi. Have any engine bay shots? (Don't mean to bring it too off topic from the MINI).
Well I just sold my Old R32 GTR, and CRX for my GTR and next month I will be parting ways with this one so I can pay the down on 09 STI I plan to bag. So I don't own an FD,AE86,R32 GTR,CRXor this beast(soon) anymore. Does than narrow it down!

Also the engine bay

The reason I did nothing to this motor or trans is because
It's so rare.....the trans was the first real V6 STI RA trans I had seen in 5 years. So I won't ever go beyond what it is

Last edited by Spencer Roper; 08-28-2015 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:55 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Well I just sold my Old R32 GTR, and CRX for my GTR and next month I will be parting ways with this one so I can pay the down on 09 STI I plan to bag. So I don't own an FD,AE86,R32 GTR,CRXor this beast(soon) anymore. Does than narrow it down!

Also the engine bay

The reason I did nothing to this motor or trans is because
It's so rare.....the trans was the first real V6 STI RA trans I had seen in 5 years. So I won't ever go beyond what it is
That's quite the little collection you've got going haha. Why'd you sell the R32? If I could, I'd own an R34. My favorite out of the Skyline line up. An AE86 is on the list to own as well. That's sad you're selling the WRX. I have an '08 STi as well. It suffered from the all mighty ringland failure already so it's got a new motor in it, hah! What a nightmare dealing with Subaru on that one. '09 is the year to go with for that gen. The '04 has some rare-ish parts too. Most of the time I get people trying to buy my V7 JDM seats off of me. I have the fronts and the rears. When I was doing the motor build I almost went with JDM heads, but it didn't work out. Was bummed, but can't complain about the overall build. I'm pretty proud of it. I also don't blame you for not touching what you got. With stuff like that it's nice not to tinker with it.

Old 08-28-2015, 11:10 AM
Spencer Roper
3rd Gear
That's quite the little collection you've got going haha. Why'd you sell the R32? If I could, I'd own an R34. My favorite out of the Skyline line up. An AE86 is on the list to own as well. That's sad you're selling the WRX. I have an '08 STi as well. It suffered from the all mighty ringland failure already so it's got a new motor in it, hah! What a nightmare dealing with Subaru on that one. '09 is the year to go with for that gen. The '04 has some rare-ish parts too. Most of the time I get people trying to buy my V7 JDM seats off of me. I have the fronts and the rears. When I was doing the motor build I almost went with JDM heads, but it didn't work out. Was bummed, but can't complain about the overall build. I'm pretty proud of it. I also don't blame you for not touching what you got. With stuff like that it's nice not to tinker with it.
I sold the R32 to buy my R35...along with my 10 sec CRX.
The 86 is something I don't own (that list was confusing but I can give a full roster of cars I own)
I had one 4 years ago in California....sold that to.buy the R32!
V7 seats are super rare, do you have the JDM cluster?
reason I ask is I bought two V7 jdm clusters one from an RA one from a standard and I still have the standard...(if you'd like it)
I'm guessing the JDM head issue was the AVCS?
The ring land failure happened to.my best friends car as well.
However this 09 I'm looking at is built ( I did the motor for a friend Notre he's selling for a 2015 sti) 634hp e85 only car haha just like the Evo, so I'll have no failures at such a low power level ( comparatively to forged internal spec)

But yes I.love tinkering every since I got out of software calibration I've had a car void so I fill it with projects since my new job allows for such things. It's what brings me peace.

Old 08-28-2015, 11:46 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
I sold the R32 to buy my R35...along with my 10 sec CRX.
The 86 is something I don't own (that list was confusing but I can give a full roster of cars I own)
I had one 4 years ago in California....sold that to.buy the R32!
V7 seats are super rare, do you have the JDM cluster?
reason I ask is I bought two V7 jdm clusters one from an RA one from a standard and I still have the standard...(if you'd like it)
I'm guessing the JDM head issue was the AVCS?
The ring land failure happened to.my best friends car as well.
However this 09 I'm looking at is built ( I did the motor for a friend Notre he's selling for a 2015 sti) 634hp e85 only car haha just like the Evo, so I'll have no failures at such a low power level ( comparatively to forged internal spec)

But yes I.love tinkering every since I got out of software calibration I've had a car void so I fill it with projects since my new job allows for such things. It's what brings me peace.
I just couldn't give up an R32 for a 35, but the GTR is a beast of a car. They're just on a whole different level. I could be biased too because I love anything really RHD. Gotcha! Sad that you sold the 86 too! haha. I've actually seen a very well done replica of the Initial D AE86. It was amazing how much detail went into it. The JDM stuff I have is the lip, fog lights, seats, and the Impreza I emblem. That's it. I still have the stock cluster. The reason the heads didn't work out is because I ended up not being able to get them in time for the build. Couldn't wait so just went forward without them. Very nice. I'm E85 tuned as well, but AP so I can switch back and forth when needed. That is some massive power. What size turbo is it running? 35? It's pretty cool that you're into a wide variety of vehicles. I actually came from a German automotive background, but ended up with Subaru for multiple reasons. Still have a huge appreciation for German and actually worked at an Audi/VW performance shop before I moved out here to Cali. It's been fun expanding my range of automotive knowledge to different brands.

Old 08-28-2015, 12:46 PM
Spencer Roper
3rd Gear
I just couldn't give up an R32 for a 35, but the GTR is a beast of a car. They're just on a whole different level. I could be biased too because I love anything really RHD. Gotcha! Sad that you sold the 86 too! haha. I've actually seen a very well done replica of the Initial D AE86. It was amazing how much detail went into it. The JDM stuff I have is the lip, fog lights, seats, and the Impreza I emblem. That's it. I still have the stock cluster. The reason the heads didn't work out is because I ended up not being able to get them in time for the build. Couldn't wait so just went forward without them. Very nice. I'm E85 tuned as well, but AP so I can switch back and forth when needed. That is some massive power. What size turbo is it running? 35? It's pretty cool that you're into a wide variety of vehicles. I actually came from a German automotive background, but ended up with Subaru for multiple reasons. Still have a huge appreciation for German and actually worked at an Audi/VW performance shop before I moved out here to Cali. It's been fun expanding my range of automotive knowledge to different brands.
I'm British born, more specifically Princes Park area Liverpool. The novelty( as Americans generally think) of RHD wore off quite some time ago.
Also the ease of the sale came from knowing just what the R35 can do ESPECIALLY ON E85!

The newer Subie is on a gen2 PTE 62/62BB, Speed Density tuned by me just like the Evo :-)

Also I started out in Euro ( Euro rally to be more specific)as well with me Dad, but I was captivated buy drifting and went into the JDM scene. Now me Dad is into JDM and I'm cruising back into Euro, just in a different way.

Btw where in cali I used to live there and constantly visit, do you have an annual meet? I'd love to bring my Mini and E85 911 down.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:31 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
I'm British born, more specifically Princes Park area Liverpool. The novelty( as Americans generally think) of RHD wore off quite some time ago.
Also the ease of the sale came from knowing just what the R35 can do ESPECIALLY ON E85!

The newer Subie is on a gen2 PTE 62/62BB, Speed Density tuned by me just like the Evo :-)

Also I started out in Euro ( Euro rally to be more specific)as well with me Dad, but I was captivated buy drifting and went into the JDM scene. Now me Dad is into JDM and I'm cruising back into Euro, just in a different way.

Btw where in cali I used to live there and constantly visit, do you have an annual meet? I'd love to bring my Mini and E85 911 down.
Well that makes sense! And yes, I'm all too familiar with the E85 tunes on those GTR's. Crazy power gains. Ah, Precision. Used them with a lot of builds at the old shop. Actually, our two shop race cars were PT's. 800hp AWD converted Rabbit and 1016hp R32. I went with Garrett, GTX3071R. We are located in Harbor City! We actually do a quarterly Coffee & Cars With Pelican event. Last one was July and we are looking to do the next one October 17th! If you're in town around that time you should definitely come check it out. Here is the album from the July event. Magnus Walker came out for the event, which was pretty awesome. I've interviewed him twice now. Super friendly and genuine guy.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:45 PM
Spencer Roper
3rd Gear
Well that makes sense! And yes, I'm all too familiar with the E85 tunes on those GTR's. Crazy power gains. Ah, Precision. Used them with a lot of builds at the old shop. Actually, our two shop race cars were PT's. 800hp AWD converted Rabbit and 1016hp R32. I went with Garrett, GTX3071R. We are located in Harbor City! We actually do a quarterly Coffee & Cars With Pelican event. Last one was July and we are looking to do the next one October 17th! If you're in town around that time you should definitely come check it out. Here is the album from the July event. Magnus Walker came out for the event, which was pretty awesome. I've interviewed him twice now. Super friendly and genuine guy.
The biggest gain on E85 I've seen personally was when we reworked my current Porsche 911 to accept E85 and much like you chose, it is also running PTE turbos!

Those VW builds sound...AMAZING. I would.never have thought to run PTE on VW or any Euro until I did the Porsche last year and yet you have been getting triple digits for some time!!! Absolutely amazing mate.

And even if I'm not in town both my current Euro cars have yet to be on a road trip....so I'll be there!

Old 08-28-2015, 02:35 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
The biggest gain on E85 I've seen personally was when we reworked my current Porsche 911 to accept E85 and much like you chose, it is also running PTE turbos!

Those VW builds sound...AMAZING. I would.never have thought to run PTE on VW or any Euro until I did the Porsche last year and yet you have been getting triple digits for some time!!! Absolutely amazing mate.

And even if I'm not in town both my current Euro cars have yet to be on a road trip....so I'll be there!
Very nice! That's pretty interesting. Now that I think about it, I don't think I've seen a Porsche on E85 before. And yes, those builds are pretty intense. I've tracked the Rabbit more than a few times and love it. Was great chatting about your different vehicles, Spencer! Sorry to take things a bit off topic. If you aren't in town for the next event, but are in town and find yourself near us in Harbor City let me know. I'd love to show you around our car collection in the garage, which includes a 959!

Old 08-28-2015, 03:05 PM
Spencer Roper
3rd Gear

Very nice! That's pretty interesting. Now that I think about it, I don't think I've seen a Porsche on E85 before. And yes, those builds are pretty intense. I've tracked the Rabbit more than a few times and love it. Was great chatting about your different vehicles, Spencer! Sorry to take things a bit off topic. If you aren't in town for the next event, but are in town and find yourself near us in Harbor City let me know. I'd love to show you around our car collection in the garage, which includes a 959!

Now you have seen one!
Also as I stated before the Mini is in a slight hiatus so getting to know fellow board members is allowed. It's also nice hearing you have a 959.....that is staggering..

It's prompted me to pack my bags and leave for Harbor City!
I will seriously bring the Porsche down so you can enjoy a corn fed one.

Last edited by Spencer Roper; 08-28-2015 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:30 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Now you have seen one!
Also as I stated before the Mini is in a slight hiatus so getting to know fellow board members is allowed. It's also nice hearing you have a 959.....that is staggering..

It's prompted me to pack my bags and leave for Harbor City!
I will seriously bring the Porsche down so you can enjoy a corn fed one.
Looks good, Spencer! I'll definitely want to take a whiff so definitely stop by if you can. We also have an RSR tribute car, a couple 962's, and 935 to name a few more! I get distracted and wander off to hang with the cars every now and then.

Old 08-28-2015, 03:43 PM
Spencer Roper
3rd Gear
Looks good, Spencer! I'll definitely want to take a whiff so definitely stop by if you can. We also have an RSR tribute car, a couple 962's, and 935 to name a few more! I get distracted and wander off to hang with the cars every now and then.
Oh my.....that list...I'm having a crisis. What an impressive collection, and I haven't even seen it all!
Any chance you'll be getting a 918 from someone?
I kid
Stopping by its no longer optional....I must go to your shop now. I'll probably be there sooner than later..with thetwo cars I can pick up the goodies I planned to order online anyway! You're not really any further than I drive (Ocean Beach SD) so I'd love to have a gander while I shop!

Old 08-28-2015, 03:48 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Oh my.....that list...I'm having a crisis. What an impressive collection, and I haven't even seen it all!
Any chance you'll be getting a 918 from someone?
I kid
Stopping by its no longer optional....I must go to your shop now. I'll probably be there sooner than later..with thetwo cars I can pick up the goodies I planned to order online anyway! You're not really any further than I drive (Ocean Beach SD) so I'd love to have a gander while I shop!
haha no 918 unfortunately, but I have personally been able to be around a few of those beauties. That sounds like a plan! Just give me a heads up the next time you'll be out this way.

Old 08-28-2015, 04:09 PM
Spencer Roper
3rd Gear
haha no 918 unfortunately, but I have personally been able to be around a few of those beauties. That sounds like a plan! Just give me a heads up the next time you'll be out this way.
I saw one at PIR . Went to talk with the driver but I got all awkward and giggly like a teen date. It's just so spectacular I had no idea how to act.

And I'll be heading down in September most likely middle of the month so I suppose I'll see you soon haha!

Old 08-29-2015, 08:19 AM
Spencer Roper
3rd Gear
Took the Mini to the local cruise in

Sorry I don't have a better picture but we went to the show last minute.We found out via text the turn out was phenomenal so I rushed out and forgot my good camera.

However even with the 2000+ muscle cars (really nice 2013 in background is one of many)there this MINI took judges choice for 2000+ in the event at it's first show!

More to come everyone.
The rain actually started so I'm off to my shop to hone in my Mini for the next week and adding some of my new bits.

Old 09-01-2015, 06:16 PM
Spencer Roper
3rd Gear
I wanted to update with some news on how the AirLift system is doing

I've been daily driving at this height...
Yes I'm aware it's low but this is exactly why I love an accurate air system.
This picture was taken outside of a local eatery my wife and I frequent.
The street it's located on has a rather large speed hump. This was our first time going since the air install so it was truly a blind test. I hit my stock height preset and went over the hump. While moving past the hump I hit my low preset and this is the exact height it sat.....untouched....note how close the wheel is to the arch...
Due to my rather shallow camber settings ....0 up front -1 rear t...his setup rubs far before it should with +25 offset wheels. The accuracy is important so I don't destroy my arches or fender liner while in motion.
I'm loving the V2 and the accuracy the system provides.
And most importantly
YOU CAN'T BEAT THE RIDE
It's comfy and soft while around town
But when you flick it sideways it's planted and I feel no roll. It's truly remarkable how far air has come.
The system is also proven to be reliable
I drive this car every day, anywhere and hard. It's nice being able to pick up my kids or go out to the store and lay it out in the parking lot (a real crowd maker).

All in all if it's in your budget or your considering air for future plans...
I strongly recommend
If installed properly it can last even longer than conventional suspension as you can reduce wear at the push of a button.
I'm going to have some interior shots up
With the new steering wheel and shifter coming this weekend.
And my new cam and tune I'm performing are happening the following week.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: R50/53 Spences Air Ride 06 JCW Bild Thread