R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Timing chain tensioner hole stripped

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 10:04 AM
crazyworld
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing chain tensioner hole stripped

I had noise that indicated a bad timing chain tensioner so I purchased a new one. When I went to install it, the hole felt stripped. Got it tightened as much as I could but isn't making a proper seal and is pissing oil everywhere not to mention the noise is still there. Not sure how this could've happened as I started it by hand and it didn't feel cross threaded or anything.

Wondering my options now. Going to check the plug to make sure it's not stripped but if it's the hole, is a helicoil even an option here? Drilling and rethreading? Either of which may require me to machine a new plug to accommodate the tensioner.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:35 PM
crazyworld
2nd Gear
So after buying a new plug, it still feels stripped. What's odd though is that with the tensioner installed (pressed all the way together of course) it feels stripped but without it, it tightens down no problem. Is it really putting that much back pressure on the plug even before it's expanded with oil pressure?

Old 07-29-2015, 04:13 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
I would want to really check the threaded plug hole, looking for possible crack, and reduced thread size. and if that all looked OK, it would require a little deeper thought...

It may lead down a rabbit hole you don't want to get into, like the reason why it won't seal is that the chain guide is broken and preventing the tensioner from seating correctly.

But it does need to be sorted.

Best of luck.

Motor on!

Old 08-07-2015, 07:47 PM
crazyworld
2nd Gear
Forgot to thank you for your response James, so thanks!

I ended up pulling the copper washer off the old plug and doubling it up just for fun on the new one and what do you know... it tightened up for me. When I started the engine, it didn't seem to leak so far. If I have to pull that plug once again, I'll try one more time with the one washer but for now, I'm leaving it as is as it doesn't affect the depth of the tensioner, just the empty space behind it (presumably for oil to come out).

Bad news is, it's still noisy as hell even after a few light revs but didn't run it for more than a minute. I gave in and pulled the valve cover off to see if I could see any obvious damage to the chain guide rails and saw none from the top but I'm not entirely positive I'm seeing the whole picture. Can't see any broken bits of plastic but also can't see much of anything.

Can the guide rails wear out but not break off causing such noise? I dropped the oil pan in October and there was no sign of anything foul but I think the first time I really heard this noise was in Feb and it went (mostly?) away after that until just very recently.

Old 08-07-2015, 11:13 PM
crazyworld
2nd Gear
Ok so it seems the tensioner just needs to pop back open as it seems the chain is loose. I'll try manually popping it ala this video below (at 11:53) tomorrow. Does anyone know if the stock timing chain should have gold links that line up with the arrows or is that only when new?

Old 09-09-2015, 02:14 PM
crazyworld
2nd Gear
So an update. I finally got tension on the chain after pulling off the timing cover and valve cover and using a big screw driver as a lever with a plastic wedge between it and the chain to protect the chain. All was well for the past 2.5 weeks until I jacked the car up to do some other work on the rear suspension. I put it back down and the noise returned varying from almost nonexistent to as loud as it was before.

I'm 100% sure it's not the belt or belt tensioner as I coincidentally just replaced them. I know my guide rails were good as I was just in there. The new chain tensioner was a MINI part. Has anyone else had as much trouble getting them to tension?