R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 2003?

Old 07-18-2015, 07:50 PM
Tribe
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003?

I'm thinking of buying a 2003 Cooper S 2dr hatch 6sp manual in seemingly great shape. What's the word on the '03s? Thanks.

Update:
My son invited me on a bike run with friends this past Sunday. He introduced me to a friend of his who happens to be a mechanic. He came over tonight to have a look.
The radiator fan wound up being the culprit so I'm replacing the fan and thermostat and hopefully that's all it needs for now and I'll keep the car; which makes me very happy!
Now, from which vendor should I make those purchases from?

Last edited by Tribe; 08-05-2015 at 05:04 AM. Reason: UPDATE
Old 07-18-2015, 08:17 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
That MINI is way overpriced, exhaust looks crumby, driver seat is really rough, and the car has a lot of rust. For the condition and the mileage it's more like a $3500 car I'd rather have the blue one they have for sale. Much nicer with better options and a lot cleaner.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:22 PM
Tribe
1st Gear
Originally Posted by bavmotors
That MINI is way overpriced, exhaust looks crumby, driver seat is really rough, and the car has a lot of rust. For the condition and the mileage it's more like a $3500 car I'd rather have the blue one they have for sale. Much nicer with better options and a lot cleaner.
Thanks for your advice bavmotors. Good honest advice is what I'm looking for.

Old 07-19-2015, 07:29 AM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My opinion is not the most popular one in the Mini crowd but as much as I love my Mini I wouldn't own one that didn't have a new car warranty. The Mini is one of the poorest rated cars made when it comes to reliability.

Old 07-19-2015, 07:51 AM
Tribe
1st Gear
Originally Posted by whaap
My opinion is not the most popular one in the Mini crowd but as much as I love my Mini I wouldn't own one that didn't have a new car warranty. The Mini is one of the poorest rated cars made when it comes to reliability.
Wow, I have never heard that before. My wife has owned a 2006 for five years and hasn't had any problems. Thanks though for your input.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:23 AM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Tribe
Wow, I have never heard that before. My wife has owned a 2006 for five years and hasn't had any problems. Thanks though for your input.
the 05-06 are the ones to own, I'd only get a face lifted r53 but that's my opinion of course.

Old 07-19-2015, 11:52 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Odd...
I owned my 2005 rR3 s for 10+ years...
Upgraded stuff...
But never had to spend $$ to fix it...think I spent $200 on a couple of t-map/map sensors in total...everything else was wear and tear items...
Never got towed, never went to the dealer out of warrenty...heck even under warrenty, think the overhead light was fixed, and the PS fan was rewired....
Can't speak about gen2 or gen3 cars, but my 2005 was a great car, very solid, and fun.

Look around, get a mechanic that KNOWS MINI'S to do an inspection....
Lots of good cars around if you look...
BUT LOTS OF JUNK TOO....

Old 07-19-2015, 11:56 AM
whaap
5th Gear
Go to any site you trust that grades automobile quality and I'll bet you a chocolate donut that the Mini will come out somewhere in the bottom half.

Old 07-19-2015, 02:20 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Go to any site you trust that grades automobile quality and I'll bet you a chocolate donut that the Mini will come out somewhere in the bottom half.
not the r53, bulletproof, award winning motor.

Old 07-19-2015, 04:15 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Funny how inexpensive cars bought by going folks and run hard, beat on, and tracked all have quality issues...
Scion, made by Toyota has issues....sold in the same showroom...does that make it crap?!
What I know is 10 years, no major issues for me. Not perfect, but heck, 10 years. Yes, it was modded, but I drove it like a car, had fun in the twisties...I did not regularly redline, etc...

Any car that is 10+ years old should be considered suspect.... Until proven good.

Old 07-19-2015, 05:23 PM
gpwpat
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow. I have 2003 mini s. 233000 miles on it. Original engine and transition. Just replaced my first clutch. Like others have said. It is an easy car to work on. I have never been to the dealer out of warrenty. I have owned it since new. Only wear items have needed replacement. My car still runs great. I don't care for the 3rd gen. 2nd gen has timing chain and carbon issues. 1st gen has zero issues except the water pump pto gears on the supercharger. But if you maintain that and the car is a manual it is a very reliable platform.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:09 AM
Tribe
1st Gear
I bought this car for $4,000. I have nice seat covers and I'm going to enjoy fixing the small areas of rust myself. Did I make a good deal? I think so but time will tell

Old 07-26-2015, 05:33 AM
2Miniacs
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you did good. Very clean and you know the issues you have to address. Just keep up on maintenance and this car should serve you well for quite a while.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:24 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Congrats!!
$4000 for a running car in decent shape is not terrible...heck might be good. Dealers always take their share....but sounds to be OK.
Enjoy your car!!

Old 07-26-2015, 06:22 PM
Tribe
1st Gear
Thanks for the good wishes. The future is ours to see when we get there. Peace.

Old 07-26-2015, 07:18 PM
Mib4840
Alliance Member
Congratulations! Great looking MINI. Looks like you got a nice CAI, great start on mods

Old 07-26-2015, 10:48 PM
Tribe
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Mib4840
Congratulations! Great looking MINI. Looks like you got a nice CAI, great start on mods

Old 07-28-2015, 05:00 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Check the supercharger pulley, it's probably aftermarket.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:28 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Good luck, looks like a little rust on the door and near the taillights , above the trunk lid grip. Pop the taillights out clean the rust and repaint, also above the trunk grip. If its all the way through and has holes , its might need some work. I would try to stop that rust so its does not get worse.

Good luck.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 07-29-2015, 09:29 PM
Tribe
1st Gear
Originally Posted by bavmotors
Check the supercharger pulley, it's probably aftermarket.
Thanks, will do.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:36 PM
Tribe
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Good luck, looks like a little rust on the door and near the taillights , above the trunk lid grip. Pop the taillights out clean the rust and repaint, also above the trunk grip. If its all the way through and has holes , its might need some work. I would try to stop that rust so its does not get worse.

Good luck.
Thanks, that is my plan. I just got the car today and I have to bring it to my mechanic (who happens to own classic minis and specializes in all Minis) for a complete mechanical diagnosis. Stay tuned ...

Old 07-30-2015, 06:57 PM
Tribe
1st Gear
Update

So I put the plates and stickers on and decide to road test the car. Before leaving I hooked up the trailer onto the pickup and told my wife to keep her cell close by.
I drove about 4.5 mi. Stopped and gassed up then continued another 4 or 5 miles to the car wash. The entire time I'm listening to an awful whining noise so I was starting to think the worst, oh and the AC would not blow cold.
After idling through the car wash the blow dryer blew the right wiper off *sigh*
So I got out to pick it up and noticed a small amount of steam coming from under the hood and then something let go, dumping Anti-freeze and lots of steam. I pulled out, parked at the curb and called my wife to come get us.
I couldn't see whether it was a hose , water pump, head gasket, whatever and decided to call the dealer for a full refund which he has agreed to in writing.
It's possible that it's not serious but it's also possible that it is, so considering the mileage, buh-bye.
I have quite a few things to sell so once they're gone I'll look for an 05/06 S with much lower mileage. I am attracted to the yellow/black with black/black interior and 6sp stick though. Stay tuned ...

Old 08-02-2015, 07:39 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
So I put the plates and stickers on and decide to road test the car. Before leaving I hooked up the trailer onto the pickup and told my wife to keep her cell close by. I drove about 4.5 mi. Stopped and gassed up then continued another 4 or 5 miles to the car wash. The entire time I'm listening to an awful whining noise so I was starting to think the worst, oh and the AC would not blow cold. After idling through the car wash the blow dryer blew the right wiper off *sigh* So I got out to pick it up and noticed a small amount of steam coming from under the hood and then something let go, dumping Anti-freeze and lots of steam. I pulled out, parked at the curb and called my wife to come get us. I couldn't see whether it was a hose , water pump, head gasket, whatever and decided to call the dealer for a full refund which he has agreed to in writing. It's possible that it's not serious but it's also possible that it is, so considering the mileage, buh-bye. I have quite a few things to sell so once they're gone I'll look for an 05/06 S with much lower mileage. I am attracted to the yellow/black with black/black interior and 6sp stick though. Stay tuned ...
sorry to hear this, good luck on finding another.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:41 PM
Tribe
1st Gear
Update

I edited my opening post ^ I'm keeping the car.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:28 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Bring it back to life. Hopefully you will update with the fixes.

Good luck and if you need anything let me know.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: R50/53 2003?