R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Mysterious Overheating problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 11:21 AM
Porter M Corn
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mysterious Overheating problem

2006 MCS Conv.

Strange thing this morning. I was in stop and go traffic this morning and the temperature gauge started rising and the engine fan kicked on as is normal.

The needle would swing to the hot side, triggering the warning light and then return to the normal position in the center.

I checked the water level and upon loosening the cap, the fluid regurgitated and tried to surge.

Got it home after this issue occurred several other times while stopped, relieved the pressure on the tank and discovered it was empty.

Topped it of with anti-freeze and the liquid begin audibly gurgling and regurgitating out of the tank.

Finally got it filled again, some gurgles but seems to be holding the level now.

Can anyone give me some ideas how to solve this problem? FYI... This is the first time I've had this issue. I'm in Saltillo Mexico and this is my wife's car, who has only had her license for two months and is dumb as a box of rocks when it comes to automotive matters. She knows "Go" and how to distract herself when driving messing with the stereo...

Thanks for your help gang.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:15 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Is it overheating anymore? Was it empty because of all of the coolant gurgling out when you opened it a few times?

Have you noticed any leaks anywhere? If you're no longer overheating and things seem to be fine, keep an eye on your coolant level. I'd also recommend taking the bleeder screw out of the upper radiator hose completely (put a pan under the car as it'll make a mess), and fill the coolant bottle while watching for air bubbles coming out of the bleeder. Once the air bubbles stop, put the bleeder screw back in (preferably using a new one) and then put the cap back on. Next, let the car warm up, take it on a drive, and then park it over night. The next morning, top off the level and it should be completely bled.

-Luccia

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 07-02-2015, 12:56 PM
Porter M Corn
Neutral
Thanks Luccia,

Just drove it about 20 miles and checked it after it had been parked a few moments. Water level is down to the "min" mark and when I opened the cap on the tank, it was still under tremendous pressure and began to regurgitate the water.

Old 07-02-2015, 01:04 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Porter M Corn
Thanks Luccia,

Just drove it about 20 miles and checked it after it had been parked a few moments. Water level is down to the "min" mark and when I opened the cap on the tank, it was still under tremendous pressure and began to regurgitate the water.
That's perfectly normal for that to happen. Is the car still overheating? When the cooling system is under pressure it's not uncommon for the level to show lower than if when the car is dead cold. It's going to be under pressure until the car has cooled off.

-Luccia

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 07-02-2015, 01:08 PM
Porter M Corn
Neutral
We'll find out later after my wife drives it to school and back. During the 20 mile test drive, everything was normal but we did not get hung up in stop and go traffic like before.

I appreciate your help. I'll update later.