R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Has anyone actually done a R50 to R53 Engine Conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 10:55 AM
ghiradelli
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone actually done a R50 to R53 Engine Conversion?

Even with my extensive amount of searching, I have yet to find anyone talking about their actual experience in swapping an R50 motor for an R53. I've come across tons of questions on whether it's possible, but all of the answers I've read are along the lines of "It's probably possible, but don't do it". I'm simply hoping to find some sort of write-up or even a parts list. Has anyone actually done this swap, and have some good information?

Here's a bit of back story (mini rant) to hopefully ward off those who want to shut me down off of the get-go: One of my Mini's is a 2003 R50. Paid off, and fully owned by me. A number of years back, my Midlands (POS) 5 speed went out (~65K miles), so I dropped in a Getrag 6 speed from a junked car with the intent that I would eventually do the motor swap as well. That was a lot of work and parts, so I feel that I'm already a third of the way there. It drove flawlessly for another 50K miles or so, until so many components (engine and suspension related) started failing, that it wasn't worth the upkeep, so I put it in the garage, and bought a Countryman. So this car being a Frankenstein Monster of a car already, resale value would be so little that it would be essentially useless to sell (even if I could find someone who was willing to buy it). At this point, the car's sole purpose is to be a project car. If I don't do this swap, it's just going to end up at the junkyard. On top of this, the motor is already out, and the project is already underway.

I am well aware of the scale of this project, and could probably get it all together without someone else's experience guiding me, but if the wheel's already been invented, why invent it again? Any shared experiences in actually doing this particular swap would be super appreciated!

Old 07-02-2015, 11:55 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
As with the trans, a bunch of associated parts are necessary
besides the long block itself, like mounts, intake, supercharger,
water pump, rear exhaust, battery relocation and wiring, alternator, etc.
The trickiest is probably the ECU and wiring harnesses that
would need to be swapped and/or reprogrammed or changed to a stand
alone engine/fuel management system.
I've never heard of anyone actually doing it.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:44 PM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
way I see it, you have a blank slate, the block I think is the same. head is different, not sure about pistons or crank. if you get the SC, you could also put in an electric waterpump and not worry about the PTO gears. fueling can easily be upgraded, ecu shouldn't be too hard to get, or run a standalone

could even turbo the rebuilt motor you have now....

The following users liked this post:
Mini Devil (02-29-2020)
Old 07-02-2015, 12:59 PM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
Head has different exhaust valves. Pistons and crank are different,
and oil squirters under the pistons.

Old 07-03-2015, 01:08 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
If you want to do this swap...
Buy a totaled r53/r52s...
You need so many parts beyond the motor, I think taking the parts off a wreck is the ONLY way....

Old 07-03-2015, 01:13 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Saltysalt
way I see it, you have a blank slate, the block I think is the same. head is different, not sure about pistons or crank. if you get the SC, you could also put in an electric waterpump and not worry about the PTO gears. fueling can easily be upgraded, ecu shouldn't be too hard to get, or run a standalone

could even turbo the rebuilt motor you have now....
Nope...
The r50 has sindered metal parts, the r53 FORGED for a reason...
They LOOK similar...but parts are MUCH stronger...
So just toss the entire r50 motor and the entire electrical system....

It has been done with r50's...
A few posts from guys in England who have done it...both the right way (r53 block) and the wrong way (modified r50)....

Guess if you do it for...er..fun...go for it...but will still be 2-3x the cost of selling and buying a different car at best....plus the time. Be a good story someday....

Old 07-03-2015, 05:30 AM
jamez
5th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Geeze, at this point if you don't have the R53's engine yet.... do an electric conversion.
There may even be writeups on that.

gumbedamit (03-03-2020)
Old 07-03-2015, 10:11 PM
minsanity
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Old 07-04-2015, 12:37 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by minsanity
He did it last year. On MINI Torque, start at post #548: http://www.minitorque.com/forum/f273...tml#post703278
Not many details. The actual work was done by his "MINI-guy".

Old 07-04-2015, 07:51 AM
Shawnnn
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you have the space the easiest way would be to get a donor car. Take everything you need a sell everything leftover.

Would be the most cost-effective way to do it too

Old 07-04-2015, 09:54 PM
Sc00terbum
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Kudos Ghiradilli! It's refreshing to see someone else pondering the possibilities. I hope somebody chips in that has already done this with their own two hands. It drive me nuts when folks post valid technical questions to only get a half dozen responses about why you shouldn't, can't, or would be crazy to waste the money to do the thing that you ask about, posted by guys who probably don't change their own plugs. There's also the "I knew a guy who knew a guy that once had a cousin that read a blog about this" fellows that mean well but speculation and conjecture doesn't really help you get the job done.

I am in the same boat, owning outright a nice clean, rust free r50 with a few minor issues. When proposed mods to a r50 are posted, the go-to response seems to be "sell the r50 and buy a r53".
Can you sell a nice, low mileage r50 and kick in a couple grand to buy a haggard r53 that needs the everything? Sure you can. Are you going to be able sell your r50 that's nice looking and rust free but has high mileage with few minor issues for much more than lunch money? Unlikely. In fact, I doubt I could sell mine for what the brake and suspension upgrades it has cost. Besides the fact that finding low mileage r53s are getting harder by the day, when you do see one, they command a premium.

Here are the facts I have gathered about a swap. A donor car is clearly the best choice.
R50s and r53s share a block and the head casting but that is about it. The r53 came with forged crank, pistons and rods as well as having sodium filled valves installed in the head to deal with the additional heat from supercharging. Adding those upgrades to a r50 motor would cost a bundle.
Since you've already tackled the trans, the next hurdle would be the ECU, which is different. ECUs are married to all of the major computer systems: ignition switch, keyless entry, ABS, speedometer, radio and so on. If you did not have ECU matched components from a donor then you would need a dealer to do some programming and I can't see a dealer signing on to this sort of build.
I have had a couple wrecked r53 donors slip through my fingers for as little as $850, I couldn't buy a junk yard motor for that.

Good luck and keep me posted if you get started and I will do likewise.

mayagrafix (03-03-2020)
Old 07-04-2015, 10:15 PM
Shawnnn
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Sc00terbum
Kudos Ghiradilli! It's refreshing to see someone else pondering the possibilities. I hope somebody chips in that has already done this with their own two hands. It drive me nuts when folks post valid technical questions to only get a half dozen responses about why you shouldn't, can't, or would be crazy to waste the money to do the thing that you ask about, posted by guys who probably don't change their own plugs. There's also the "I knew a guy who knew a guy that once had a cousin that read a blog about this" fellows that mean well but speculation and conjecture doesn't really help you get the job done.

Here are the facts I have gathered about a swap. A donor car is clearly the best choice.
R50s and r53s share a block and the head casting but that is about it. The r53 came with forged crank, pistons and rods as well as having sodium filled valves installed in the head to deal with the additional heat from supercharging. Adding those upgrades to a r50 motor would cost a bundle.
Since you've already tackled the trans, the next hurdle would be the ECU, which is different. ECUs are married to all of the major computer systems: ignition switch, keyless entry, ABS, speedometer, radio and so on. If you did not have ECU matched components from a donor then you would need a dealer to do some programming and I can't see a dealer signing on to this sort of build.
I have had a couple wrecked r53 donors slip through my fingers for as little as $850, I couldn't buy a junk yard motor for that.

Good luck and keep me posted if you get started and I will do likewise.
Apparently you didn't read any of the responses people gave. Not one person said dont do it. Most of the people responding have done much more than "probably never changed their plugs"

You gave advice that was already given and cut on the people that gave it. Very classy.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:22 AM
ghiradelli
Neutral
Originally Posted by Shawnnn
Apparently you didn't read any of the responses people gave. Not one person said dont do it. Most of the people responding have done much more than "probably never changed their plugs"

You gave advice that was already given and cut on the people that gave it. Very classy.
I have a feeling that he wasn't talking about the posts on this thread when he made that comment. He may have simply been speaking in reference to the part of my original post where I complained about those types of responses.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:58 AM
Shawnnn
5th Gear
You're probably right, but people are just trying to be helpful.

Hope your conversion goes well and you get it back on the road!

Old 07-05-2015, 12:06 PM
Sc00terbum
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whoa, um...let me first say that I wasn't blasting on anyone in this particular thread. If it sounded that way, I apologize. I was making a general statement about the mood of the forum. Just search r50 speed parts or mods and see what I mean. I asked a simple question about camshafts a while back and didn't get a single comment with first hand experience.

Although I did not provide a wealth of new information, I did expound on what was already up. What I was trying to clarify was the fact that even if you had a complete motor with all accessories, transmission and wiring harness from a r53, bolted it in and plugged it up, you still wouldn't have a functional car. The devil is in the electronics. Any project is made easier with a complete donor car. What I was trying to convey is why this job is nearly impossible without one.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:36 AM
N2MINI
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I agree will be much easier with a donor car to get all the parts you need off of as you go/realize you need them, then sell the rest for what ever you can get out of it. Probably plenty of crashed 1st Gen "S" cars out there with less then 50,000 miles on them.. Will defiantly be the best way to get some HP into an R50.. but still not cheap, as you might as well replace all the wear-able items while the engine is out, along with a new clutch, top off oil in SC, etc etc...

Old 02-28-2020, 07:27 PM
JeshuaTrejo
Neutral
R53 to R50 / Swapping an R53 engine to a 2002 Mini Cooper

This article gave me hope!

I am about to do an Engine Swap of that sort.

I have a 2002 Mini Cooper R50 5 Speed (Midland Trans) and I bought a crashed 2004 Mini Cooper S 6 Speed (hopefully a Getrag Trans)

I only wanted to do a transmission swap since that is all I needed but I ended buying the wrecked car instead, at this point, I am hoping the Engine is good.

There is a forum I started...: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d-midland.html

...concerning what type of transmission I could install on this 2002 Mini since it went bad but now I am taking a different route I'll hopefully get started on this project in a few weeks so if someone is still keeping up with this forum since the last post I'll keep you all posted...

If any of you have had any updates concerning this swap please let me know I am very much interested!

Bad Transmission on Yellow 02 Mini Cooper R50

Wrecked Blue 04 Mini Cooper S R53

Old 02-28-2020, 09:48 PM
MiniManAdam
6th Gear
Received 609 Likes on 481 Posts
Technically anything is possible . it's if you have the will ,time and money to accomplish it..
I say sell off all you have and just swap a Honda gsr motor in it..lol..

Old 03-01-2020, 08:13 AM
KevinR
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JeshuaTrejo
This article gave me hope!
Wrecked Blue 04 Mini Cooper S R53
Not wanting to be labeled a naysayer, but it looks like many, if not all of the R53 specific parts you would want were probably destroyed in the accident. I'm not convinced that's your best donor for a full-on R53 conversion.