R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 New Mini Owner

Old 05-05-2015, 08:52 AM
JaysinStrife
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Mini Owner

Hey guys! I posted in the intro thread awhile back, but I just finally picked up my 05 Cooper S. I've had the mod bug from day one when I started driving and my mildly modded 06 Scion Xb is proof of that. However, that car was just too slow for me... Hence the Mini purchase. Currently the car has 60K and has a couple tid bits done on it. It has a B&M ss kit w/ bushings, a Magnaflow exhaust, and an intake I have never seen before.

I plan to keep the B&M kit as the stiff shifter feel is great. However, I want to add a Whalen Shift Machine. Is this advised? I assume the heavy weight will help with smoother and easier shifting.

I'm going to switch out the intake but not sure which way to go. I've been eyeing the DDM works with a blue Samco intake hose? Thoughts on that? I have also considered the Alta intake but people keep saying the hoses don't fit well.

The Magnaflow will go eventually as well. I don't like the horn style tips and the sound is a bit obnoxious for me. Was thinking the Invidia, or something single sided like the Alta to save weight.

A pulley will be in the near future with colder plugs as well. More than likely just a 15% although I won't track the car so I've considered the 17 and 19.

Any feedback is awesome. I've read a lot of stuff on this site already, even before I purchased my Mini. The wealth of knowledge here is great, and people seem to be quite helpful. I owned a 2013 Dodge Dart before this and people on the forums where just a bunch of ****** that would bury you in a moments notice.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:51 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Congratulations on your new Mini! Since it seems that you're a DIY person, you can take a look in our Tech Articles here to see if you can find anything that may be able to help you with future DIY work.

-Luccia

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 05-05-2015, 06:47 PM
RogueMini
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey congrats on finding a low miles R53!

I dont know anything about whalen stuff, so no input there. Not sure what you have for an intake, but the DDM is good, happy with mine. Just that CAIs dont do much unless run with in concert with other mods. Same with exhausts; the main benefit is weight savings and more sound.
Get a pulley, cold plugs, and a tune. Tune highly recommended with a 15%, pretty much required with a 17%..
Ditch the run flat tires, put on some super light wheels.
But first (!), make certain your maintenance is taken care of: MTL in the trans, mobile1 in the motor (some people use royal purple). New belt. Change the motor oil NOW, BMW service only changes oil every 12000 -15000 miles. Your car may have had only 3 or 4 motor oil changes ever.
That is the basics. Do this stuff, and you'll really have something there.

Have fun!

Old 05-05-2015, 08:33 PM
JaysinStrife
3rd Gear
The maintenance has been kept up very well on this car. Next oil change is in 5k but I will probably do it early. I plan of beefing up the ignition right off the bat with a better coil and some good wires.

What was the MTL you where referencing for the MT?

In terms of intake I am kind of being turned to the Voltage system a bit more. The idea of a metal box and high temps just doesn't sit with me. The Voltage intake is suppose to be made of heat resistant products (I.E. plastic Im assuming). Was figuring I'd match that up with a silicone inlet tube. Did you use the stock tube on your DDM system or did you switch it up?

Old 05-05-2015, 10:03 PM
RogueMini
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Redline MTL. http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...fluid_oil.html
Change it every 30000 mi

I used the stock air tube. You have to stretch it a little to adapt it to the DDM, but it works fine. Ive seen here in the forums of people having problems with the silicone tubes, but i have no experience with them, so i dunno, maybe they're awesome. I dont have one because i'm cheeeeep.
I thought the same thing about the heat under the hood, and the metal box... Tried to come up with a scheme to insulate inside the box but there just isnt any room in there.

Everyone says the JCW intake is the best: breathes well and is made of plastic so i assume it insulates from the heat better. But expensive, so i dont have one (see comment above)

Old 05-06-2015, 10:12 AM
JaysinStrife
3rd Gear
Let me ask you this:

I'm going to get the ignition pack from Outmotoring with the Sceamin' Demon coil and Kingsborne wires. In terms of the spark plugs, which ones should I go with? I know eventually I will be needing colder plugs when I run a pulley, but which brand should I get? Someone said the Beru plugs are multi electrode so there is no gapping issues.

Also all this talk of the pulley/tune has got me thinking. At 60K, if I get a 17% pulley (mind you no track time but probably long distance driving) what is the longevity of my motor going to be like? Will that improve once I get some mods done and add the tune? I don't really want to get a tune now and end up adding mods and then needing to get it re-tuned. I was going to look at the tune once I did the RMW mild cam. Unless of course getting the tune means I should run a little more aggressive one.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:33 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
Welcome to the MINIacs!

Coil pack and wires not a bad deal. Brand name? well there are a few but it's really opinion at this point. Personal preference mostly and availability.

Plugs... get what you can afford... big difference in putting in four $20. plugs in a MINI or 16 in my Dodge Challenger.

Getting a tune... for the most part, you won't really need to worry about it until you swap the pulley. Plugs, Intake, Air Box, Head, and Exhaust still pretty much all within spec, not until you throw a 15-17% pulley and/or a cam at it that I would recommend getting the tune, and I would get it as a Dyno Tune.

Longevity of the engine? Well, mostly depends on if you are taking care of it after you MOD it (Oil/Filer changes). make sure you have positive crankcase ventilation to ensure you don't have internal back pressure. And make sure your cooling system is taken care of.

Motor on!

Old 05-06-2015, 12:56 PM
Doug W
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know about my shift ***** being "advised", but I suppose 8,000+ people can't ALL be wrong. :-)

Old 05-07-2015, 11:07 AM
JaysinStrife
3rd Gear
I just ordered a TWM **** from a Scion Xb member for my Xb so I may see how that feels on my Scion with a TWM kit.

I am leaning towards your WSM, but I'm curious about the gems you have available for the inlaid ones. I am just not a fan of straight polished or brushed so if you have any cool ideas let me know! This B&M is killing me on the shifts so a weighted **** is really needed!!

Old 05-07-2015, 12:20 PM
Doug W
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by JaysinStrife
I just ordered a TWM **** from a Scion Xb member for my Xb so I may see how that feels on my Scion with a TWM kit.

I am leaning towards your WSM, but I'm curious about the gems you have available for the inlaid ones. I am just not a fan of straight polished or brushed so if you have any cool ideas let me know! This B&M is killing me on the shifts so a weighted **** is really needed!!
This is where I buy my cabochons.
Their inventory is shrinking lately; I may have to look for another source.

http://brandywinejewelrysupply.com/c...und-cabochons/

-Doug

Old 05-07-2015, 01:11 PM
JaysinStrife
3rd Gear
BTW Doug I will more than likely be ordering a WSM by the end of the weekend.

What is everyone's thoughts on the rear seat delete kit from Out Motoring? Trying to justify the $250 price tag...

Old 05-13-2015, 03:49 PM
JaysinStrife
3rd Gear
Doug W,

Am I correct in assuming you are the man selling the WSM? If so, I am wanting to place an order but I really like the inlaid style and on that page the 3rd photo. It isn't a round **** but has another shape. I'd be interested in that with either a black or a royal blue stone (since my interior is black and blue leather). Wasn't sure how I would get that across to you when ordering so I thought I would inquire here first. Please let me know when you have a minute.

Thanks.

Old 05-13-2015, 04:55 PM
Doug W
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by JaysinStrife
Doug W,

Am I correct in assuming you are the man selling the WSM? If so, I am wanting to place an order but I really like the inlaid style and on that page the 3rd photo. It isn't a round **** but has another shape. I'd be interested in that with either a black or a royal blue stone (since my interior is black and blue leather). Wasn't sure how I would get that across to you when ordering so I thought I would inquire here first. Please let me know when you have a minute.

Thanks.
Yes, I am he!

That **** started out round, but was the victim of a slight accident, when (ahem!) someone failed to set the cutter height on the CNC mill before pushing the green button.
The cutter came down and put a gouge in the ball before I could hit the red button; so rather than throw the **** away, I machined that part of the ball away.
Turns out, it actually gives the **** a "different" kind of feel, that I happen to like.

I can always get black onyx stones, and one or two varieties in dark blue.

Shoot me a PM or email me at whamac@msn.com sometime and we can discuss.

Thanks!

Doug