R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 M7 Stage 3 Power Pack

Old 05-04-2015, 08:04 PM
gatorsr53
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M7 Stage 3 Power Pack

An anyone give me the pros and cons of the M7 Stage 3 Power Pack! Trying to give the Cooper A strong kick

Old 05-04-2015, 08:27 PM
Racingguy04
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
My only reservation about that is I think that the stock crank pulley also has the harmonic balancer in it, so I'd be pretty hesitant to use one of the lightened, non balancer pulleys for fear of my engine shaking itself apart.

Other than that, the cold air intake is sweet, a smaller supercharger pulley rocks, the thermostat seems like a good idea as long as you don't live anywhere too cold, and I'd bet the belt is quality.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:26 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Just get one of our standard pulley kits.
http://www.waymotorworks.com/wmw-pulley-package.html

We never recommend lightweight crank pulleys as they will damage bearings long term, and cause other issues.

Never really like the Stage terms on descriptions of parts as they are more marketing terms due to everyone having a different idea of what makes each stage the number it is.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 05-05-2015, 12:11 PM
M7Speed
Former Vendor
To answer the questions that have recently been asked regarding the M7 Speed Super Lightweight Crank Pulley we feel it is important to filter out the forum hysteria and mass amounts of mis-information from the technical facts.

M7 Speed is a High Performance Company engineering and manufacturing High Performance components in the High Performance marketplace. The definition of high performance is “modified to give superior performance”.

The M7 Speed Super Lightweight pulley is a very well-engineered and proven high performance component. It is intended to ADD performance to your vehicle buy reducing the weight (mass) of the rotating crank assembly. This equals better throttle response, quicker engine rev-up and more power.

Everyone accepts that every high performance engine and vehicle has one common element: “LIGHTWEIGHT”. Lightweight equals increased performance. Here is why;

Newton’s Second Law of Motion:

Newton's second law of motion can be formally stated as follows: The acceleration of an object as produced by a net force is directly proportional to the magnitude of the net force, in the same direction as the net force, and inversely proportional to the mass of the object.

Breaking this down into gearhead language: The lighter in weight (mass) of anything the faster it will accelerate….PERIOD! The goal of anything high performance with wheels and an engine is more speed and faster acceleration and velocity. More power and lighter weight equals speed. The Physics cannot be modified.

Yes crankshaft vibrations occur in all internal combustion engines. Most are caused by inherent “out of balance” designs such as the GM 60 deg V6 or the V-Twin Harley. Any inline 4 cylinder engine is a “naturally balanced” design. Fluid damping systems such as the ATI Super Damper are great products. They became popular with the onset of extremely high RPM and high power (high cylinder pressure) race engine configurations. Their intended function is to dampen out torsional (twisting) crankshaft vibrations caused by high cylinder pressure impulses occurring. 99% of all MINIs are not high RPM or high power builds. The added advantages of a lightweight crank pulley to a moderately modified MINI will outweigh any of the perceived downsides.

The M7 Lightweight pulley weighs a scant 14 oz, the ATI weighs 89.6 oz. and the stock damper weighs 113.6 oz. . Doing the math the M7 pulley weighs only 12.6% of a stock pulley and 16% of the ATI pulley. The pulley is a great easy bolt-on and low cost power adder.

If you want to make your car high performance and use your car as a daily driver, a spirited weekend canyon carver or autocross competitor then the M7 Super lightweight Crank Pulley will be a significant performance advantage at a very affordable price. It adds faster engine acceleration, a noticeable increase in throttle response and more power.

We have sold thousands of these over the 13 years M7 has been in business and have never had a complaint or report from any of our customers regarding bottom end engine damage.
Have FUN!

Old 05-06-2015, 05:00 AM
M7Speed
Former Vendor
Old 05-06-2015, 05:03 AM
gatorsr53
1st Gear
Thankyou M7

And when I get my car back I'll be sure to get this set