R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Power Steering Delete experience?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 06:07 AM
Keet
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Steering Delete experience?

Considering the Condor power steering delete (yup, my ps has started to go).
I'd appreciate any feedback from anyone that's had this for a while - especially any experience in Autocross with this?
Thanks!

Old 03-13-2015, 07:51 PM
Da_Ghost
5th Gear
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
I didn't buy the Condor fitting, but I did try a delete with a braided hose. I couldn't enjoy my Mini as much on the road and I would hate driving it on the track like this. Since I do some track during the season, I just don't see how I could have fun while having to fight the steering wheel so much. The rack is just not geared for manual steering.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:32 PM
Keet
2nd Gear
I assume you went back to the ps pump - hopefully it continues to function for you.
I'm the second owner of my MCS as of about a month ago. It's an early build 2005 with only 15,xxx miles and I was very surprised a few days ago when the ps started to go. I knew about the ps issues but thought for sure I had a few more miles before it went south! I plan to go the dealer warranty replacement route but I thought that the delete approach might be a reasonable backup plan.
Thanks for your input.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:13 AM
minsanity
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
8/18/14 review from r34king:
"Well after 3 weeks with mine in, I can say I love it(condor). Got used to it after a few days and now I wouldn't go back unless I lost an arm. Although parking maneuvers are still tricky."

We shouldn't expect the Condor kit to be close to having a pump, but it'll get your MINI running w/o worries about leaks, fire, cost. For $50, it can either be a temp or permanent mod.

Gotta acknowledge & thank Da Ghost for doing this experiment & sharing valued 1st hand experience & feedback!

Last edited by minsanity; 03-15-2015 at 07:26 AM.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:26 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Keet
I assume you went back to the ps pump - hopefully it continues to function for you.
I'm the second owner of my MCS as of about a month ago. It's an early build 2005 with only 15,xxx miles and I was very surprised a few days ago when the ps started to go. I knew about the ps issues but thought for sure I had a few more miles before it went south! I plan to go the dealer warranty replacement route but I thought that the delete approach might be a reasonable backup plan.
Thanks for your input.
If it is an EARLY 2005 production car...you have a warrenty still....call your dealer..
My 2005, does have this warrenty....and you can get a rebuild from rockauto for a couple hundred $$ if not covered...or a lifetime warrenty one from napa for an extra $100...
When these cars are true classics, if that ever hsppens, I see the delete kit being useful.... But till then...penny wise, pound foolish.....ever price the cost of the PLASTIC U JOINTS...in the steering wheel shaft joint...already in short supply (must use the right hand drive ones)...those are the items I see limiting the kit....

Old 03-15-2015, 11:40 AM
Keet
2nd Gear
My MCS has an 09/04 build date so I expect to be covered. Have a service appointment at the dealer in about a week - we'll see how it goes. I think I may invest in the ps duct/panel to protect the new fan.

Old 03-15-2015, 12:26 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Yup..you are covered...
Based on the date...
You also (if it was never updated) have the old wiring setup (changed 1-05) in which a blown PS fsn fuse can disable the radiator fan...so if you are going to mini of pebody or mini of Bedford (same owner)...ask, they might do the fix for free to bring the car up to 2005 standards...there was a service campaign... A bit of a reach after 10 years...but you might get lucky...

Old 03-15-2015, 12:33 PM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
When these cars are true classics, if that ever hsppens, I see the delete kit being useful.... But till then...penny wise, pound foolish.....ever price the cost of the PLASTIC U JOINTS...in the steering wheel shaft joint...already in short supply (must use the right hand drive ones)...those are the items I see limiting the kit....
100% agree Zippy - the second the RHD one came available at ECS tuning I grabbed one. It's sitting on the shelf for the inevitable when the U joint fails.

Kinda sad that we have to prepare ourselves for the words NLA.

Old 03-15-2015, 01:44 PM
Keet
2nd Gear
Yup..you are covered...
Based on the date...
You also (if it was never updated) have the old wiring setup (changed 1-05) in which a blown PS fsn fuse can disable the radiator fan...so if you are going to mini of pebody or mini of Bedford (same owner)...ask, they might do the fix for free to bring the car up to 2005 standards...there was a service campaign... A bit of a reach after 10 years...but you might get lucky...
Thom at Greasy's recommended seeing Mark at Mini of Boston so I made an appointment to see him in a week or so. I'll definitely ask about the wiring fix - thanks for the info. Did I mention that my car has only 15,500 miles? Certainly didn't expect pa failure until I had a few more miles!

Old 03-15-2015, 08:54 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Thom at Greasy's recommended seeing Mark at Mini of Boston so I made an appointment to see him in a week or so. I'll definitely ask about the wiring fix - thanks for the info. Did I mention that my car has only 15,500 miles? Certainly didn't expect pa failure until I had a few more miles!
certainly a failure so soon is odd....no issues with mine..then again, have never had any of the "common" issues beyond swapping out a radiator fan and the upper motor mounts....
guess mini of boston has gotten better.... know herb chambers service department was pretty bad for a bit....then they started suggesting some folks with some issues go to see pete...just keep yours eyes open. have had good luck with peabody/bedford, and know a person at inskip down in RI....so i have never dealt with mini of boston....

Old 03-24-2015, 02:03 PM
Keet
2nd Gear
certainly a failure so soon is odd....no issues with mine..then again, have never had any of the "common" issues beyond swapping out a radiator fan and the upper motor mounts....
guess mini of boston has gotten better.... know herb chambers service department was pretty bad for a bit....then they started suggesting some folks with some issues go to see pete...just keep yours eyes open. have had good luck with peabody/bedford, and know a person at inskip down in RI....so i have never dealt with mini of boston....
Back from M of B with good news/bad news ... My PS pump and fan are working just fine but my lower steering column shaft/ujoint is binding causing the steering problem. Problem now is lower steering shaft assemblies are not being produced and no one has any in stock. WMW sold their last used one a while back. Will try to lube it but hunting for a used one now.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:47 PM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Back from M of B with good news/bad news ... My PS pump and fan are working just fine but my lower steering column shaft/ujoint is binding causing the steering problem. Problem now is lower steering shaft assemblies are not being produced and no one has any in stock. WMW sold their last used one a while back. Will try to lube it but hunting for a used one now.
That seems really early too .. But here is a new RHD one http://www.ecstuning.com/ES2781900/ Must be clocked by 7 teeth.

Call them though as I am not sure how accurate their site inventory is??

Old 03-24-2015, 09:13 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Actually we got another wreck and have a used one if you want.
http://www.waymotorworks.com/used-lo...0-r52-r53.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 03-25-2015, 01:58 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Call Pete...we if he can get you a NEW RHD one and install it...no big deal...me...I would not install a used one of new will fit....the labor is the $$ part unless you are a diy'er....
If the joint is worn...I am wondering if it was just dry, or if it is due to maybe you got a track rat car?! Hope you looked at more than the miles....
But if this ujoint is the only issue, you got s great find....so few miles on a r53!!
Good luck!!

Old 03-25-2015, 03:51 AM
Keet
2nd Gear
Call Pete...we if he can get you a NEW RHD one and install it...no big deal...me...I would not install a used one of new will fit....the labor is the $$ part unless you are a diy'er....
If the joint is worn...I am wondering if it was just dry, or if it is due to maybe you got a track rat car?! Hope you looked at more than the miles....
But if this ujoint is the only issue, you got s great find....so few miles on a r53!!
Good luck!!
Thanks! Strange to have this problem at 15k miles, but it is 10 years old. Car came from Nantucket and was always parked outside .... Sea salt air maybe???
No evidence to suggest a track rat - small mods are mine - otherwise dead stock down to the original awful runflats.
I may pursue the RHD if there's really one available but I'm thinking to take the shaft out first and see what's what for my self - maybe lube it and see. Or have Greasy's look at it when they mount my summer tires. Steering is only just annoying right now and my garage is still cold as hell.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:11 PM
Keet
2nd Gear
Update. For anyone interested .... My binding lower steering shaft got better (easier steering) as the weather warmed up a little. Then went to Greasy's where Pete lubed it. It's been completely normal for a while now. Also, I did go ahead and install the rather pricey power steering fan duct.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:22 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Update. For anyone interested .... My binding lower steering shaft got better (easier steering) as the weather warmed up a little. Then went to Greasy's where Pete lubed it. It's been completely normal for a while now. Also, I did go ahead and install the rather pricey power steering fan duct.
Think it is a good move..the duct...
Have had it on my car for 6 years I think...
Never had a PS pump issue...and have not had a PS fan fail since the duct install...
Makes changing the oil take an extra 2 minutes, but no big deal...
With the PS fans being so $$, I figure the duct has saved me a few fans...I was getting one filled with grit every 2 years before....