Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Whining noise while decelerating on gear or neutral

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 01:47 PM
giannabezzi
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whining noise while decelerating on gear or neutral

Hey Guys,
I have a 2002 mini cooper and so far it didn't give me any problem. 91k miles.
Out of sudden, while changing gear at a stop, it made some noise before inserting the gear and from then it has been making a loud whining noise only when I decelerate. It doesn't matter which gear I am on or if neutral, the noise remains, but it happens only when decelerating.

Could you help me identifying the problem?
Thanks a lot for your help.

Last edited by giannabezzi; 02-01-2015 at 01:54 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 02-01-2015, 02:19 PM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Check the transmission for gear oil & make sure it has enough. Better yet change it & run a magnet through what you have drained. Hopefully it isn't full of metal. Hard to know for sure so start checking the easy stuff first.

Old 02-01-2015, 03:00 PM
giannabezzi
Neutral
Thanks for your prompt reply.
Any chance I need to replace the transmission? I hope not...

Car runs as before, except for the noise and I never experienced any transmission issue.
Thanks again

Old 02-02-2015, 07:07 AM
giannabezzi
Neutral
Brought to mechanic and said that "something" is broken or worn inside the transmission and he could not tell what is it.
His estimate is $5100 for new transmission!

Please help!!!

Old 02-02-2015, 07:28 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
The first thing is to bring it to a qualified MINI mechanic. Let us know what area you are from and we might come up with a suggestion for you. Removing and replacing a trans shouldn't be much more than $1k in labor. Depending on what's broken, the parts could be much more, of course. When I think of broken trans internals, I typically think of clattering not whining. You may remove the trans and find out that it's a bad bearing. If you're lucky, it's your throw out bearing, although if I read your symptoms correctly, that's not likely.

Bottom line: find a trusted MINI mechanic, and go step-by-step.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:44 AM
giannabezzi
Neutral
Thank you so much for your reply!
It is indeed a clattering sound. Is it possible that a transmission goes bad without any sign of tear before?

I live in DC area, thinking to go to Mini dealer tomorrow but please let me know if you recommend somebody else.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:19 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Clattering's not good. To toot my own horn, you'll save money towing the car to Helix in Philly instead of paying dealer prices to fix it. Our labor charge will be approximately half of the dealer's and we have access to alternatives to replacing the transmission with a brand new unit.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:48 PM
giannabezzi
Neutral
sounds a little far. Although my car is perfectly functioning except for the bad noise.
How long do you think I can still use it?

Thanks a lot

Old 02-02-2015, 03:15 PM
omnifix
1st Gear
Give Behe Performance a call. They're an excellent independent shop in Beltsville, MD (http://www.beheperformance.com); very familiar with Minis. They've been servicing and repairing my '03 MCS since the warranty expired. Honest, skilled and reasonably priced (cheaper than Mini dealers). Good luck!

Old 02-02-2015, 03:43 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by giannabezzi
sounds a little far. Although my car is perfectly functioning except for the bad noise. How long do you think I can still use it? Thanks a lot
No telling. If something broke off and is moving about it could cause catastrophic damage which otherwise would have been a manageable repair.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:29 PM
Cherrymanero
Neutral
Hard to crash transmission

how could you brake the transmission?
Are you a rally man?
I think something is broken but not the transmission at all otherwise you'll not move!
Be safe with distribution chain which is life for your mini engine valves!

And please let Us know what serious technician says..... 5k make every one happy if the job is easy! Let mini technician study your car and ask a writed diagnosis!
Words fly, written NOT yet!
Good luck

Amedea

Old 02-05-2015, 06:22 AM
giannabezzi
Neutral
Mini asking $4100 for transmisssion replacement.
I am surprised nobody actually looks inside and tells me what happens.
Mini asks $300 to open transmission but says, 80% it will still need replacement.

Do you guys think it is worth opening it to see if it can be fixed without replacement?
Also, what is the lowest cost I can get a new tran?

Thank you

Old 02-06-2015, 11:51 AM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The dealer will open the transmission, charge you $300 for doing so & then replace the transmission with a new one. In my experience MINI dealers do not repair parts they replace them. Too late now, but in the future please use a competent MINI repair shop it will save you money. Helix is one of the best.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:18 AM
BlueThunder
Former Vendor
cooper 5 speed gear box issues

Unfortunately the Cooper 5 speed seems to fail more frequently that the 6 speed cooper S. We have replaced about 5 or 6 of them. I have several old trns cores at the shop, unfortunately never found a trans rebuilder that had gotten involved with rebuilding them.

Here is what we do. Using an automotive stethoscope run the car on the lift at about 50-60 MPH. Using the stethoscope listen for noises at the wheel bearing hubs, intermediate axle support on the right axle. Then listen to the differential carrier bearing in the trans housing, and also the drivers side transmission end cover. This will help pin point the problem, and eliminate non transmission issues.

I suggest, drain the trans oil in a clean pan, make note of the amount you collect. If that oil has a metallic glitter then the bearing are going out. If it clear and simply low on fluid, then refill it with clean fluid to the proper lever and hope for the best.