R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 My r53 was backed up onto this morning :(

Old 01-28-2015, 09:13 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My r53 was backed up onto this morning :(

Well everyone,

The unthinkable happened..

While waiting to enter a parking garage at my school the woman in front of me was unable to pay her toll so she backed up her piece of **** SUV onto the hood of my baby Barnaby. I wanted to cry

This car is a 2006 with 125,000 miles but has been babied since new, perfect Carfax and now its going to need substancial work done to the front end. From what I can see on the outside the hood is pushed up and unable to open, bumper is shot, grille is scratched, all 3 lights on passengers side are damaged and now working..I still cant believe it. My insurance company states I have the right to all OEM parts, rental car, and the body shop of my choice. But I am lost as to what to do. Also unsure if they are going to end up totaling it since it books at like $8500 and 75% of that will be the number to total the car.

HELP, I am still so mad/sad I can hardly type. This is my baby that I bought with deployment money from Afghanistan!

BTW pictures don't do it justice..

Attached Thumbnails My r53 was backed up onto this morning :(-d.jpg  
Old 01-28-2015, 10:12 AM
cjm
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Aw...major sympathy from across the pond in UK, mate.
Make sure you fight to get it repaired better-than-new; that's the only consolation that's sensible to offer...

Old 01-28-2015, 10:41 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cjm
Aw...major sympathy from across the pond in UK, mate. Make sure you fight to get it repaired better-than-new; that's the only consolation that's sensible to offer...
I plan on it. I called mini/bmw and parts alone are 3100 us, labor another 4000 labor. It looks like a possible total loss :( not what I wanted

Old 01-28-2015, 11:10 AM
gpwpat
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That is nothing. If they wont fix it you can. Do you have USAA? They are great to work with. I got hit and they totaled my car. Paid me $8500 and sold the car back to me for $1500. $1000 later I had all the parts replaced. another $2000 I am getting the whole car repainted. and I just picked up leather R56 interior for $500. I feel like I have a new car. I am using the $ to completely restore my mini. So what if has salvaged title. Im not selling it so it doesn't matter.

Heck you could take the new hood and bumper cover to the body shop and have them paint them and then you to the bolting and you will have $ in your pocket.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:18 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gpwpat
That is nothing. If they wont fix it you can. Do you have USAA? They are great to work with. I got hit and they totaled my car. Paid me $8500 and sold the car back to me for $1500. $1000 later I had all the parts replaced. another $2000 I am getting the whole car repainted. and I just picked up leather R56 interior for $500. I feel like I have a new car. I am using the $ to completely restore my mini. So what if has salvaged title. Im not selling it so it doesn't matter.

Heck you could take the new hood and bumper cover to the body shop and have them paint them and then you to the bolting and you will have $ in your pocket.
I guess its not nothing I called MINI and they quoted me at 3100 parts, 3100 labor plus 15% so like almost 7 grand total. Apparently the beam behind the bumper is damaged and the fenders pushed back. I do have USAA but we are going through the other INS as it was her fault. What year was your car when they totaled it, and how much damage? I was told if damage is over 75% value itll be totaled. And the salvaged title means I can most likely never sell it not that I was going to. I am just at a loss as of what route to go at this point.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:29 AM
gpwpat
4th Gear
Go through USAA. they will broker for you then go after the other insurance. You should not be talking to the other insurance. The other insurance will low ball you.

When I was hit I was not at fault. USAA cut me a check before the week was over.

Your price quote is high on the parts. Do you know how to replace parts?

You should be able to get the hood and bumper and Cowl painted for $1000

It would take you 3 hours to swap these parts out.

The hood retails for around $500. Bumper $300. Foglights $60, Turn signals $40, Grills $100. Even if the radiator is taken out the support is $10 and a radiator is $100.

Your parts bill does not add up.

I got hit on the side, Blew my side airbags, bent my rear sustpension and sent me into a spin. then I T boned a Semi on the freeway and smashed my hood, headlight, bumper, broke my radiator core support and punctured my radiator. My parts bill after all of that does not add up to $3K. The only thing I am missing now is paint and for a full car repaint because it is so small and I am doing the prep is only $2K

Old 01-28-2015, 11:30 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
USAA is good to deal with....
MIGHT be worth going to a USAA shop, that way you KNOW IT WAS DONE RIGHT, no shortcuts)..and letting them deal with her insurance company...as for OEM parts, MINI's are such low volume cars, 99% of parts used will be OEM anyway....ask them...I think they will waive the deductible if you have a good record, and they will go after her....they made that offer to me previous...less stress..
Sucks

Old 01-28-2015, 11:31 AM
gpwpat
4th Gear
Post more pictures and I can help you asses your damage better.

Old 01-28-2015, 12:04 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Go through USAA. they will broker for you then go after the other insurance. You should not be talking to the other insurance. The other insurance will low ball you. When I was hit I was not at fault. USAA cut me a check before the week was over. Your price quote is high on the parts. Do you know how to replace parts? You should be able to get the hood and bumper and Cowl painted for $1000 It would take you 3 hours to swap these parts out. The hood retails for around $500. Bumper $300. Foglights $60, Turn signals $40, Grills $100. Even if the radiator is taken out the support is $10 and a radiator is $100. Your parts bill does not add up. I got hit on the side, Blew my side airbags, bent my rear sustpension and sent me into a spin. then I T boned a Semi on the freeway and smashed my hood, headlight, bumper, broke my radiator core support and punctured my radiator. My parts bill after all of that does not add up to $3K. The only thing I am missing now is paint and for a full car repaint because it is so small and I am doing the prep is only $2K
Well I called USAA and they recommended since she was at fault going through her insurance first. If I wasn't happy the outcome then to go with my USAA account and they would waive the deductible since I qualify for that and it wouldn't be on my insurance.

Are you guys saying to fix it and end up with a salvage title or try and get it totaled? Since it Ida 2006 with 125000 miles I have no idea what the book value is but it can't be over the 7100 I paid for it right?

That price quote was from the mini dealer here in Kansas and for the mini collision center where I trust the work will get done right. The other reason they recommend I go through her insurance is because I get free rentals on my policy I don't have rental..

I know how to install parts but am just torn between wanting it totaled or fixing it and living with a salvage title :/

Old 01-28-2015, 12:07 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Old 01-28-2015, 12:14 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
My r53 was backed up onto this morning :(-image-3178436510.jpg

I can't open the hood to assess further ...

Old 01-28-2015, 12:37 PM
gpwpat
4th Gear
did it crack the headlight? if not and it has a scuff it can be polished. the trim ring is like $15. and the squrter cover another $10. I can assure you that the aluminum bumper behind the cover is not damaged. I can tell by your scuff. My damage was alot worse than yours. Your radiator and core support will be fine too. It probably bent the piece on the hood that contacts the latch and it is binding. If all fails take the tire off and the fender liner. then you can remove the headlight from the inside to gain access to the latch. Did the hood come into contact with the cowl? and the fender? is the seam at the back of the hood even? My guess on the parts you need

Hood, Headlight Trim ring, Healight washer cover, Bumper cover, Turn signal, JCW Grill, Paint

You should get it fixed if you can. But if they salvage it anyway. It would be a great deal to buy back and fix. It isn't that bad.

You could fix it yourself and Pocket the difference for your labor. Way cheaper than a new car.

My bet is they will fix it. Body shops have a way of over inflating price on initial quote. they are looking to double their money on parts and labor. Insurance like USAA know this and give them a negotiated price to complete the repair. Get it fixed if you can.
The damage doesn't look bad enough. pull hard on the hood relase it may release. see if you can get it to go. the alignment isn't that far off.

Last edited by gpwpat; 01-28-2015 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:42 PM
ASKtheteach
5th Gear
Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
As long as the airbags didn't deploy and there is no damage to the engine, there's no reason why it should be totaled.

Old 01-28-2015, 12:44 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
did it crack the headlight? if not and it has a scuff it can be polished. the trim ring is like $15. and the squrter cover another $10. I can assure you that the aluminum bumper behind the cover is not damaged. I can tell by your scuff. My damage was alot worse than yours. Your radiator and core support will be fine too. It probably bent the piece on the hood that contacts the latch and it is binding. If all fails take the tire off and the fender liner. then you can remove the headlight from the inside to gain access to the latch. Did the hood come into contact with the cowl? and the fender? is the seam at the back of the hood even? My guess on the parts you need Hood, Headlight Trim ring, Healight washer cover, Bumper cover, Turn signal, JCW Grill, Paint You should get it fixed if you can. But if they salvage it anyway. You could fix it yourself and Pocket the difference for your labor. Way cheaper than a new car.
Headlight is cracked and not working. The aluminum beam behind is bent and dented. The hood popped into to fender and cowl as well when it popped up, the seam is uneven and the hood is sitting up and sideways. I could force it open but I am still driving it right now.

If they salvage it how could I buy it back from there for cheap like you did, and would I even want to with such high mileage? I could do or get all the work done myself and pocket the rest but then I have that salvage title and car fax report over my head. This sucks either way..

Should I call usaa and ask any specific questions ? They told me they would get in contact with the other insurance (farmers) and they would follow up with me after but could be as early as next week

Old 01-28-2015, 12:47 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Those numbers from Mini are overstated. Did they see the car? Or is this a phone call? I would never deal direct with the other insurance company, that is the job of your insurance provider.

Old 01-28-2015, 12:57 PM
gpwpat
4th Gear
how do you know the beam is bent and dented if you didn't take the bumper cap off and open the hood? I had am impact that punctured my beam but it didn't bend it. I am still using it with a new bumper cover. Headlight's are expensive. But I bet you could get yours working again until you find a decent replacement. Or just get new.

as For Buyback You broker that with USAA. They send a check when they determine that it is beyond repair $ wise.and you keep the car. But you do have to go to DMV to get new title. Well worth it. in my opinion.

Your you car is low milage. My Mini has 225K miles on it now with origional engine and clutch. I am using my insurance $ to totally resore the car. It runs and handles like a new car. With R56 leather it feels like a new car. and once I get Paint it will look like a new car. Ill be good for another 10 years.

Old 01-28-2015, 03:08 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
how do you know the beam is bent and dented if you didn't take the bumper cap off and open the hood? I had am impact that punctured my beam but it didn't bend it. I am still using it with a new bumper cover. Headlight's are expensive. But I bet you could get yours working again until you find a decent replacement. Or just get new. as For Buyback You broker that with USAA. They send a check when they determine that it is beyond repair $ wise.and you keep the car. But you do have to go to DMV to get new title. Well worth it. in my opinion. Your you car is low milage. My Mini has 225K miles on it now with origional engine and clutch. I am using my insurance $ to totally resore the car. It runs and handles like a new car. With R56 leather it feels like a new car. and once I get Paint it will look like a new car. Ill be good for another 10 years.
More of an update. I was able to pull open the hood and investigate more. No inner motor, radiator, or beam damage the hood latch and sensor is broken and won't go down. The passenger fender flare is dented and broken clips. Lights still work but are all cracked up.

I guess the mileage is low but it just having in the back of the head it was broken and repaired. And the salvage title is ********. The insurance company determined it was her fault and I can choose to go with her or my insurance. I guess I need the rental so I will go with there's.

My r53 was backed up onto this morning :(-image-1022662981.jpg

The passenger door is now rattling, the hood scoop has broken clips, and something on the inside is leaking I'll show a pic

Old 01-28-2015, 04:23 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
ER....why stressing over a salvage title....you ONLY get a branded title IF the car is TOTALED....
Yes, the accident will be on car-fax if you have more than $1000 in damage in most states....but as long as you keep the car a few years, and you already HAVE modded it...I would not worry about the value loss...you lost more when you modded it!
As long as the TOP of the motor did not take a hit, and no airbags went off, sounds like some simple bolt on parts, a new hood, some paint, a couple of NEW headlights...you MIGHT come out with a better looking car...no rock chips on the hood!!
Smile, it sucks, but everybody walked away...so life is good!!

Old 01-28-2015, 05:04 PM
dongood
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The other driver is at fault, their insurance company is on the hook for the repairs. I would not accept a payout.

Get it repaired at your shop, make sure it's either a BMW/Mini dealer, or ask your Mini dealer where they go. Do not go where the insurance company "recommends". You want a shop that serves you, not one looking for repeat business from an insurance company.

If you have another car pocket the rental car money, they pay you rental coverage regardless if you actually use it.

Figure it will take 1 week per $1000 dollars to repair. $8000 estimate = 8 weeks.

Old 01-28-2015, 05:14 PM
ti22fjc
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recovered my own stolen vehicle (Honda CRX Si) and had insurance put it back together, exceeding the Blue Book Value of the vehicle. I saved receipts and proved that the STREET value was way greater than what they had listed. Insurance is meant to get you to return you to the point before whatever incident happened. That car is at fault, the insurance will cover. They may kick and moan and not do it, but that's because they have stakeholders, but you can do it.
When I hot the raccoon, the insurance didn't get me all new parts, they pieced together a few used parts that were of great condition, too. When I hit something, I didn't hit it with a pristine radiator, and unused condenser and such. I use to think why not new, but got over that pretty quick.

Old 01-28-2015, 05:21 PM
matthewz
4th Gear
USAA customer, independent adjuster in Auto. R53 MCS owner. Recovery from another insurance firm is routine, it's called SUBROGATION. I would recommend you file with USAA - subrogation will also recover your deductible. Clear fault, you were unable to avoid, if parking garage gate was staffed, you have a witness. At a minimum, cameras.

If you can't get it fixed, talk to me. I'm considering selling my '05 JCW, 61K miles right now. Tuning only, before the susp and brakes became standard fare, and tuning became a factory installation. I'd rather see an appreciative owner for my MINI.

Life begins at 4500 RPM.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:57 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
I agree no one was hurt in the situation but the whole thing still sucks and is a hassle, besides my precious Barnaby was hurt..

The shop that I want to get it repaired at is the only MINI dealer in Kansas and it is 2 hours away from me. I would love to go through my insurance but cant because rental is not included in my policy and I NEED A CAR, so Farmers Bureau it is..

My hope is to get it fixed and maybe get a few new parts, extra parts in the mail time but we will see how this all goes. As of right now I am waiting for there INS company to get back to mine and then we go from there.

If you look at the photo I posted of the engine bay after the hit there is a black substance leaking on the red frame right under that silver looking device anyone know what that is?

MatthewZ check your PM I sent you a message.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:20 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
You can go through your insurance company and still collect from the other company for the cost of the rental and any other items that your policy doesn't cover. The insurance company handling the idiot who smashed into my wife's car paid our deductible within a few days of the accident, before State Farm (sucks) had even really begun the process. The other company also paid the 20% of the rental that State Farm (sucks) wouldn't pay.

Ask questions, don't take things at face value.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:00 PM
matthewz
4th Gear
Originally Posted by dongood
If you have another car pocket the rental car money, they pay you rental coverage regardless if you actually use it.
Uh-uh. Insurance won't pay anything other than actual expenses. Didn't rent? You're not getting cash for that.

They way salvage and totaling works - vehicle is considered a "loss" when repair value is too great a fraction of expected repair costs. Percentage varies form agency to agency, so I can't comment on that.

If they decide the vehicle is a loss, it's handled one of two ways, usually: vehicle is sold for salvage by the insurance agency, to recoup some of their claim expenses.

If the vehicle is owner retained, their offer will be reduced by the price they anticipated to make from the eventual salvage sale. Your ACV, and salvage, can be negotiated to some extent. Receipts help.

All that being said, I do hope that there's more superficial than structural going on here. Good luck!

Old 01-28-2015, 08:03 PM
matthewz
4th Gear
Just saw your post about leaking fluid - motor mounts are filled with hydraulic fluid. I know, because I need one replaced. Ouch. That might be what we are seeing here.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: R50/53 My r53 was backed up onto this morning :(