Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Idiot needs help with idiot lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 01:09 PM
monosmini
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Idiot needs help with idiot lights

We are full time RVers and tow a 2005 S convertible with 70 k miles in an enclosed trailer. Because of our lifestyle it is not always possible to have repairs made in the same location as the diagnosis. This may be due to our schedule, the repair shops schedule, parts availability etc.

This fall we noticed a noise when driving the car straight, speed would vary the noise level. We took it an independent shop who diagnosed the problem as worn front wheel bearings. Schedule did not allow repairs at that time and we elected to delay repairs until we reached our winter destination. In the meantime I did some research, consulted my Bentley manual and determined the wheel bearing repair is not a complex job.

Note; we have another 05 S that I track frequently so I’m very familiar with the front ends on these cars. I, on my own or helping others, have done many rotor change outs, caliper replacements, pads, lines, pad sensors etc. So I elected to try the repair myself.

I ordered new hubs and bearings (these are one unit and must be replaced as one) I also ordered two new ABS sensors as is recommended by some when replacing the hub/bearings.

After the job I went to test drive it and the first time I touched the brakes I felt a small front end shudder. This felt exactly like it does when the ABS activates. Within seconds three idiot lights came on.
ABS, Stability Control, and low tire sensor.

This same set of circumstances repeats itself every time after the car is turned off.

Start, no idiot lights after start
No idiot lights in forward or reverse
No idiot lights until after brakes are applied for the first time. Hard or soft makes no difference, and the ABS “feel” only happens once and will not repeat until the car is shut off and restated.
Shortly after the ABS “feel” idiot lights come on as noted.

Retraced my steps through the job, bolt torque, electrical connections, tire pressure etc. no change.

Any ideas on how I should proceed?

Thanks to all in advance!

Jim

Old 01-25-2015, 01:32 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Sounds like a wheel speed sensor you installed is bad...
Hense the "tri-fecta" of lights...they all use the same wheel speed sensor data...folks have had iffy luck with non-oem ones....

Old 01-25-2015, 02:43 PM
quicksilver2003
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agreed. Faulty wheel speed sensor.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:46 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
ditto