R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Crash Damage

Old 01-21-2015, 01:17 PM
fastzombie
4th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Crash Damage

I was driven off the road today by a texting driver. My Mini left the road at 50mph and pounded through a section of stone and tree stumps. When I came to a stop the car wouldn't start.

The front bumper and a lot of the underneath parts have been damaged. It also looks like the front right wheel took some hard shots and damaged the control arm, strut, and connecting rods.

Due to the relatively low visible damage to the body I'm concerned the insurance company will not address the damage done by an off road excursion.

What should I really look for underneath that could be damaged?

Last edited by fastzombie; 01-22-2015 at 06:10 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:12 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
a good repair facility is what you need ... they know how to handle it and work with insurance all the time. A good shop probably knows your adjuster by first name!

I recently had a BIG meeting with a pot hole from hell .... no visible damage other than whacked wheels (2) and chewed up tires ... but total repair was nearly $4000 ... strut, control arms, rotor, hub etc etc. Repair shop identified all the messed up stuff and had a list b4 the insurance guy showed up. And after the first round (which was all in the front end) a test drive showed there were problems in the back too and the shop prepared the supplemental claim which went right thru.

I did this thru a dealer which you may roll your eyes at, but the car involved was/is a new and limited edition model so parts availability was a concern

AND not all insurance companies are the same, nor are two coverage's . . .

this was my experience . . . but yours might be different

Old 01-23-2015, 07:53 PM
HyTech
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Off road driving.

I pulled off the road in my Miata to answer my phone, like a good guy should. In the grass was a buried boulder, about 8 inches sticking up. Holed engine, transmission, reloacted right front wheel and totaled it. The body looked fine, but, like he says, the body shop will find all the issues, well, most of them anyway.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:29 AM
fastzombie
4th Gear
UPDATE:

So I was run off the road on Wednesday. Car would not start after it was pulled over the wall and out of the trees.

I had it towed to my mechanic and it was visually inspected. The car was moved over to an auto body shop that will do a tear down inspection on Tuesday.

I'll keep you updated.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:32 AM
fastzombie
4th Gear
I have been living a nightmare. I have been given the Mini back three times now with three breakdowns. The car is at the shop again and they are looking it over with the adjuster.

The problems seem two fold.

One, there is without question electrical issues that have not been resolved.

Two, there is without question mechanical issues that have not been resolved.

After Crash: Car went off road and over rocks and stumps at 50MPH. Car came to a rest and shut down. No electric and no startup. Turn the key and no electric at all.

Symptoms Now:

Electrical: The car will be driving down the road and will shut down. Electric turns off and everything quits like the key was turned off. No electric of any kind. The electrical system is also buggy, meaning it flickers and pulses at times. These symptoms kick in after driving it for awhile.

Mechanical: The car is really down on power and very sluggish. The temperature is running higher than it ever has, right about 3/4 on the gauge. After driving it for awhile the service engine light blinks and it feels like the car is on one cylinder.

The shops working with the insurance adjuster have written in a report that there is oil in the coolant and coolant / moisture in cylinder #4. They have also said it looks like the alternator was damaged in the crash and wasn't replaced. They are going to look at it further tomorrow.

The shop where I have my work done has not been involved because the insurance adjuster wanted it to be looked at over at a "more modern" shop.

My shop has reported to the insurance company that the car was running flawlessly with consistent oil, filter and coolant changes. They had the car shortly before the crash and had great reports of everything in great shape.

This car will never be right and I'm not sure how to proceed with this. The adjuster and the insurance company are stead fast that they can fix it. I do not buy it at all.

I'm exhausted and not sure what to do next. Any other insurance horror stories?

BTW = Do Not Use Traveler's Insurance!!

Old 03-22-2015, 11:48 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
I'm exhausted and not sure what to do next

Tell them you want the car fixed properly by a shop you choose, tell them you are hiring an attorney or taking them to small claims court if they don't get with the plan. Usually that shakes them into action. If not then you have to follow up with an attorney or court.

I have no insurance horror stories because I wouldn't let them run the show. I tell them my expectations, lay it out in a letter (important for proof).

Old 03-22-2015, 12:02 PM
fastzombie
4th Gear
I have been communicating everything via email. I don't rely on phone communications.

Thanks for the feedback.

Old 03-22-2015, 01:19 PM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fastzombie
shop where I have my work done has not been involved because the insurance adjuster wanted it to be looked at over at a "more modern" shop.
I am not sure what state you are in but I'm almost certain it is illegal to force you to use a shop of their choosing. In several instances on old beat up cars I've opted to take the check and not repair the damage - Which also would have been your choice to make.

It might be too late for the work performed BUT that's just information for you...I would look over your policy and perhaps remind him of your rights which might impact his/her willingness to work with you. Adjusters aren't bad people - they have a job to do and generally want to just manage their costs as well as keep you as a client happy.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:50 AM
fastzombie
4th Gear
The car has been totaled. I had it returned to me and was stranded in it 4 times. Each time was the same issue. The car was showing electrical faults, misfire and ECU codes as well as running hot. Each time back the car drove worse and the breakdowns happened sooner.

The adjuster and Travelers Insurance is very difficult to deal with. The maze of people involved in this process was frustratingly complex. I would provide detailed explanations of what was occurring and the information seemed to fall on deaf ears.

I'm just glad this process is over.

Sad to lose such a reliable fun car. I'm going to miss my Electric Blue S.

Old 04-01-2015, 06:06 PM
qolor
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
did you buy it back?

Old 04-01-2015, 11:52 PM
FredoinSF
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Sorry about the hassle and loss of MINI.
You should post VIN here or on new thread cuz it's very likely the car will end up back on the road. Could potentially save a member from buying the car.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:44 AM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FredoinSF
Sorry about the hassle and loss of MINI. You should post VIN here or on new thread cuz it's very likely the car will end up back on the road. Could potentially save a member from buying the car.
Yeah and SS# and mothers maiden name too :-)
In all seriousness - sucks this happened but the final result was probably best. Where are you located? Maybe the forum can help you locate a good replacement.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:56 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
Sorry for your loss... with a little time and luck I'm sure you can find another to make your own.

Motor on!

Old 04-02-2015, 09:36 PM
quicksilver2003
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds like the main power wire from the battery to the engine bay was shorting out. Information that comes too late now though.

Old 04-04-2015, 02:52 PM
fastzombie
4th Gear
I chose not to buy the car back. I decided to move on and regroup.

I found a great 41,000 mile MINI in New Hampshire. A 2012 R56, gray with black, lovingly maintained.

Great folks down at Volkswagen of Rochester. I made the three hour drive down, picked the New To Me MINI up and am loving every minute of it.

Sad that the problems ran out so long, but patience in the end has been rewarded.

Old 04-04-2015, 03:20 PM
americo11
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I just saw that post....I believe you also posted pics when this first happened , am I correct? Due to everything that happened you were okay (mini held up well ) except for your arm I think went through the window? Well anyhoo ...... Congratz on the new ride and may your new mini serve you as well as the last.

Old 04-04-2015, 04:09 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Congrats on the newer mini!!
Good too see you found a car you liked so fast!

Old 04-04-2015, 05:02 PM
fastzombie
4th Gear
The new MINI really fell my way. I had my MINI totaled on Tuesday. I looked that night and checked on a few possibilities. I had a big work bonus hit my account Wednesday morning and arranged my financing to trip down and try some out. Thursday morning I found my new ride. Zippy, are you familiar with VW of Rochester? They handled the sale process wonderfully. It was real pleasure.

americo11, I was lucky not to have hit anything solid that stopped me dead. Instead it was a 50mph trip into a rock strewn bog. I'm glad it is behind me now.