R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 2003 r53 jcw

Old 01-14-2015, 04:20 AM
CLMINIR53
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 r53 jcw

Hi. Looking for some experts to help me assess a 2003 Mini R53 with the JCW package that I'm thinking about buying.

My understanding is that for model years 2005 and 2006, Mini switched to the projector style Xenon lamps and also for those model years they switched to the use of the three spoke steering wheel. I previously had a 2004 and it had the non-projector Xenons and the two spoke steering wheel.

The 2003 Mini with JCW package that I'm considering has the 2005/2006 style headlamps and also the 2005/2006 style steering wheel. Have not gone to see the car yet and have not run a CarFax report on it but would those two items suggest that the car has been in a front end accident that caused the airbags to deploy? For what its worth, the car has the carbon fiber dash and navigation system.

Thanks.

Old 01-14-2015, 05:58 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
first off red flag: preety sure there wasn't an option for JCW in 2003 and the facelift didn't happen till middle of 04, so if its the 3 spoke steering wheel there could be an airbag issue or they just changed the wheel
have you seen a picture of the engine bay? true JCW's will have a serial # on the valve cover, does it have the brakes? the exhaust, there are many visual cues of a jcw. but so far either someone is trying to make more money out of it, or something seriously happed to it

Old 01-14-2015, 07:06 AM
CLMINIR53
1st Gear
Saltysalt -- Thank you for your input. I have not seen any engine compartment pictures. I will look for the serial number on the valve cover. I also understand that the JCW package had a different air box, and some other things. The tail pipes appear to be different than what I've seen on the non JCW equipped. The car appears to have red brake calipers in the front.

I will be looking at the car in the next day or two but wanted to educate myself better on what to look for. I had immediately noticed the headlights and then when looking at the interior I noticed later that the steering wheel was not what I would have expected to find on an '03. So from the front looking back to the steering wheel it looks like an '05/'06 but the back side had the '02 to '04 pre facelift arrangement of tail lights and the single backup light down low by the tail pipes.

I thought that perhaps the navigation system required the three spoke wheel but having looked at pictures of other Minis of similar vintage with the navigation system, they don't have the three spoke wheel.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:28 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
the head lights could have been replaced with the facelift units. they look better, and since they use projector lenses produce more light. the old style was like aircraft landing lenses, cant really see the bulb. The JCW air box is different, this will also have a JCW logo on it. JCW exhaust should have JCW logos on it, and they look different than any other catback system out there. the tail lights sound about right, because in the face lift the reverse light went into the tail lights, and the light above the exhaust was a fog. nav I believe was always an option

also if you have the vin number, which most dealers list, you can look it up here and see what options it actually came with. good luck, and if there is a website where this car is listed, post it, some of us have some good eyes =)

Old 01-14-2015, 08:31 AM
Mib4840
Alliance Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I have a 2004 that was built in 09/03. It is a JCW. However, the JCW kit was installed at the dealer and not at the factory during that time. From what I understand the JCW kit came with minimally the JCW exhaust, upgraded supercharger, badgeing on the exterior and the serial numbered intercooler top plate sticker. I think it also received a different head. You also had a choice of a few other options such as the JCW suspension, 380 fuel injectors, brakes, intake, carbon fiber dash, carbon fiber JCW wing and then some ground effects such as the front bumper and side skirts. What did not come on my car I am slowly adding to it. I now have the JCW brakes, carbon wing, carbon dash, 380 fuel injectors and I opted for the Alta air intake instead of the JCW version. I am sure I am missing a few other items in my list and may have called something by the wrong name, but you get the jest of my explanation. In my opinion just because my R53 became a JCW at the dealership instead of the factory does not mean that it is not a JCW. I also think that because I am adding the options that it did not get during the original installation of the JCW kit does not make it a "poser" JCW. A lot of people are changing out the headlights from the early models to the post face lift type. I don't think that that detracts from the value of the JCW unless you are trying to keep it original. Same goes for the steering wheel. I would be happy if my 04 had come with more of the options that were available on the 05-06 cars. Chances are once you buy a MINI you will immediately begin swapping parts out for things that you have seen on other MINIs and liked. If possible, post some pics of the JCW you are looking at and I am sure you will get some feed back as to anything that does not look right. Good luck and let us know what you end up doing

Old 01-14-2015, 09:19 AM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by Saltysalt
... preety sure there wasn't an option for JCW in 2003 ...
The dealer fit 200bhp JCW Engine Tuning Kit was available in April 2003. A 200-210bhp Upgrade Kit (airbox and larger injectors + ECU remap) was available in October 2004.

I have both of these on my 2002 MCS.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:28 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIAC
The dealer fit 200bhp JCW Engine Tuning Kit was available in April 2003. A 200-210bhp Upgrade Kit (airbox and larger injectors + ECU remap) was available in October 2004.

I have both of these on my 2002 MCS.
I stand corrected! good info there tho

Old 01-14-2015, 10:45 AM
CLMINIR53
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Mib4840
I have a 2004 that was built in 09/03. It is a JCW. However, the JCW kit was installed at the dealer and not at the factory during that time. From what I understand the JCW kit came with minimally the JCW exhaust, upgraded supercharger, badgeing on the exterior and the serial numbered intercooler top plate sticker. I think it also received a different head. You also had a choice of a few other options such as the JCW suspension, 380 fuel injectors, brakes, intake, carbon fiber dash, carbon fiber JCW wing and then some ground effects such as the front bumper and side skirts. What did not come on my car I am slowly adding to it. I now have the JCW brakes, carbon wing, carbon dash, 380 fuel injectors and I opted for the Alta air intake instead of the JCW version. I am sure I am missing a few other items in my list and may have called something by the wrong name, but you get the jest of my explanation. In my opinion just because my R53 became a JCW at the dealership instead of the factory does not mean that it is not a JCW. I also think that because I am adding the options that it did not get during the original installation of the JCW kit does not make it a "poser" JCW. A lot of people are changing out the headlights from the early models to the post face lift type. I don't think that that detracts from the value of the JCW unless you are trying to keep it original. Same goes for the steering wheel. I would be happy if my 04 had come with more of the options that were available on the 05-06 cars. Chances are once you buy a MINI you will immediately begin swapping parts out for things that you have seen on other MINIs and liked. If possible, post some pics of the JCW you are looking at and I am sure you will get some feed back as to anything that does not look right. Good luck and let us know what you end up doing

Thank you. I will take pictures when I see the Mini and post them. The pictures I've seen so far are not good quality.

I'm not concerned with upgrades done for the reason of improvement but it did strike me as a little more than coincidental that both headlamps and steering wheel appear to have been upgraded which led me to wonder whether those upgrades might have been because of an airbag deploying crash at some point in the car's history. I could probably find this out by running a CarFax report when I get the VIN info but wanted to see what the thinking among experts was in advance.

This forum appears to have a great wealth of information. Thanks again.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:05 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
well not everything is reported to carfax. a trust worthy 3rd party mechanic should be able to spot something like that if It was done

Old 01-14-2015, 11:08 AM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by Mib4840
In my opinion just because my R53 became a JCW at the dealership instead of the factory does not mean that it is not a JCW. I also think that because I am adding the options that it did not get during the original installation of the JCW kit does not make it a "poser" JCW.
The only "true" (identifiable by VIN) 1st Gen JCW was the GP. All others were Cooper S models with a JCW Tuning Kit.

The factory JCW Package included the 210bhp JCW Tuning Kit, JCW Sport Brakes and LSD.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:56 AM
CLMINIR53
1st Gear
well not everything is reported to carfax. a trust worthy 3rd party mechanic should be able to spot something like that if It was done
Understood.

I looked at another a few weeks back. All looked pretty good and was almost ready to do a deal but then I ran the CarFax and found it had been rear ended and was on its 4th or 5th owner with a fair number of apparently unscheduled visits to the dealer. Seller's price was then too high for me.

Old 01-15-2015, 06:20 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Yea, if you can trace back which MINI dealership it was bought at. Try the VIN at a MINI dealership , they can sometimes look it up. And then check the service history to see if they installed the JCW Tuning kit. Allot of dealerships back in the day were the only ones to install those kits. It was a pricey perk for the dealership.

Good luck and post up some pics.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-15-2015, 11:41 AM
CLMINIR53
1st Gear
Hi all.

I saw the car today.

The good:

- It turns out to be a 2004 model year, not a 2003.
- Has the JCW kit (valve cover serial number, exhaust, different intercooler plate.)
- Appears to be in KBB "good" condition overall.
- New tires
- Current owner has had for 3+ years and CarFax records show reasonable diligence in maintenance. He is owner No. 4 according to CarFax report.
- 05/06 Xenon headlights

A few pictures

- Everything seems to work.

The bad:

- CarFax report shows car was in an accident in August 2008. CarFax doesn't show mileage at time of accident but my estimate is about 50000 on the clock at the time. Car now has about 87000 miles.

- Right side strut tower has typical mushrooming. Left side looks better.

- New radio not connected to steering wheel controls.

What do the experts think its worth?

Last edited by CLMINIR53; 01-18-2015 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:13 PM
CLMINIR53
1st Gear
Just an update here. I bought the car. Pretty much a loaded '04 Mini MCS with JCW package, carbon fiber dash, leather, anthracite headliner, navigation, backup sensor, auto dimming mirrors, rain sensing wipers, 17 inch s-lite wheels, brakes, 2005+ Xenon self-leveling headlights and 2005+ steering wheel.

Only obvious thing left to address is the mushrooming of the right strut tower.

Some photos

Last edited by CLMINIR53; 01-18-2015 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:23 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Pretty!!
Congratulations!! Have fun!!

Old 01-18-2015, 06:07 PM
feedDunk
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks great!

Old 01-19-2015, 01:23 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Nce find , congrats.

Looks like the dash is 3m 1080 overlay. R56 JCW shift ****.

You will need ECS STP, you will have to use the mallet and block method to flatten the mushroomed strut. You can find trick all over this forum. Then get the plates.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ht-mods-3.html

Also see if you have a cracked front upper strut mount while you are at it.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-toy-ever.html

2003 r53 jcw-ab9s7.jpg

Thanks and good luck.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-20-2015, 05:18 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
ya you got yourself a modders car! looks like in good condition. im sure youll already have a pulley installed as well.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:44 AM
CLMINIR53
1st Gear
ya you got yourself a modders car! looks like in good condition. im sure youll already have a pulley installed as well.
I guess I do. Nothing crazy as far as the mods go.

I went through the car's file very quickly. Found the JCW "certificate of authenticity" and I think I found papers suggesting that an earlier owner had the 17 percent pulley and the "380" injectors installed. Immediate prior owner did nothing but maintain. The exhaust sound has that pop/burble thing going in a nice subtle way.

Other than test driving and getting it home (20 mile drive), I haven't had a chance to run it much yet. Fixed the drooping driver side headlight assembly on Sunday morning.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:34 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
"Found the JCW "certificate of authenticity" nice find , most of those go missing down the road when car exchange hands.

Looks like you found a special MINI. Congrats.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:53 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
Nice looking car.

For the radio, you might want to pull it and just check to make sure everything is still plugged in to the back of it for your Steering Wheel Control.

I know I really enjoy the sound of mine when they pop and gurgle, and the whine of the Supercharger when you are flat to the floor with the loud pedal...

Motor on!

Old 01-22-2015, 07:09 AM
CLMINIR53
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
"Found the JCW "certificate of authenticity" nice find , most of those go missing down the road when car exchange hands.

Looks like you found a special MINI. Congrats.
It was right in the glove box in the Mini manual folder.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:13 AM
CLMINIR53
1st Gear
Originally Posted by JABowders
Nice looking car.

For the radio, you might want to pull it and just check to make sure everything is still plugged in to the back of it for your Steering Wheel Control.

I know I really enjoy the sound of mine when they pop and gurgle, and the whine of the Supercharger when you are flat to the floor with the loud pedal...

Motor on!
The radio is a Sony aftermarket with blue tooth. I've got to pull it because the front speakers don't seem to be working. I will have to see if the radio is capable of steering wheel control.

This is our 2nd '04 MCS. Had first one (non JCW) same color but with black roof/mirrors between '05 and '08. Had to part ways with first one because wife wanted a 4 door for kid ingress/egress. We are now beyond that stage.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:27 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
Aftermarket radio... in that case I would put an OEM unit back in...

EXAMPLE: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-2003-2004-2005-2006-MINI-COOPER-RADIO-CD-PLAYER-BLACK-OEM-/201266516859?hash=item2edc6b537b&vxp=mtr
But check to see if the aftermarket radio installer cut the OEM connectors...

Those front speakers do go out, I have replaced the left front in one and the right front in my other MC40s.

Best of luck... Looks like she cleaned up pretty well...

Motor on!

Old 01-22-2015, 06:10 PM
CLMINIR53
1st Gear
Originally Posted by JABowders
Aftermarket radio... in that case I would put an OEM unit back in...

EXAMPLE: 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 Mini Cooper Radio CD Player Black | eBay

But check to see if the aftermarket radio installer cut the OEM connectors...

Those front speakers do go out, I have replaced the left front in one and the right front in my other MC40s.

Best of luck... Looks like she cleaned up pretty well...

Motor on!
I just looked at the wiring diagram for this aftermarket radio and it doesn't have any obvious means for connecting to the steering wheel controls. Had thought about putting in an original radio but the Bluetooth is nice as it permits streaming from the iPhone. So I think I will put up with not having the wheel audio controls and keep it as it came for now.