Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Question about shifter linkage.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 06:25 PM
6cyclones6
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about shifter linkage.

Hey guys i recently purchased a good condition 02 mini cooper(non-S) and it seems to slide out of 3rd unless i hold it in and take it easy on the accelerations but I'm having trouble figuring out whats wrong. The car barely rolled over 100k. I've read several posts and no one seems to be having the same issues, I took it to a shop and they were not help and suggested replacing the trans but i think its an issue with the shifter linkage because 5th sometimes slides out also. Is there any way to adjust the shifter linkage? Is there something else it could be? Other posts say its likely the syncros are bad so is there any way to test it to be sure?

Old 12-12-2014, 08:36 AM
6cyclones6
Neutral
Bump

Old 12-12-2014, 09:59 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
Often not staying in gear results from bad synchros in the transmission.
Does there seem to be more play in the shifter when in gear compared to before?
If so, then maybe the shift cables or their attachments might be to blame, but
if not, probably the transmission. The Midlands transmission in the early Coopers
is not known for its longevity. Ask me how I know.

Old 12-12-2014, 11:00 AM
6cyclones6
Neutral
Originally Posted by cristo
Often not staying in gear results from bad synchros in the transmission.
Does there seem to be more play in the shifter when in gear compared to before?
If so, then maybe the shift cables or their attachments might be to blame, but
if not, probably the transmission. The Midlands transmission in the early Coopers
is not known for its longevity. Ask me how I know.
I just bought it a couple nights ago but it does seem like there is a bit of play in the gear itself. If i go to the actual transmission and manually but it in gear it seems like the shift cable is actually holding it a little too far forward. Theres another thing that's making everything difficult, there seems to be a clamp holding it down and im not sure how to remove it to see if theres something else messing up in the shift cables.

Attached Thumbnails Question about shifter linkage.-photo_1.jpg  
Old 12-12-2014, 11:43 AM
Stoker
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On the shifter cables, the rubber grommet/stiffener that holds the linkage on both ends (The bottom of the shifter and the the linkage on the tranny) Tends to rot.. and the metal (the part that connects each end) gets torn loose and eventually breaks from the rubber.. It's easy to check the tranny end of the cable's, the shifter end is more difficult, since you have to take the exhaust off to get into the shifter box.. They're not that hard to replace. pull the air filter box above the tranny, then run the cables to the shifter box.

Old 12-12-2014, 04:42 PM
Milpol
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 6cyclones6
I just bought it a couple nights ago but it does seem like there is a bit of play in the gear itself. If i go to the actual transmission and manually but it in gear it seems like the shift cable is actually holding it a little too far forward. Theres another thing that's making everything difficult, there seems to be a clamp holding it down and im not sure how to remove it to see if theres something else messing up in the shift cables.
Looking at your attached image, there is an issue with the gear linkage. I have an identical one on my R50 2002 yet the second one is a different design. Mine is being replaced under warranty (yes I was surprised as well) as my car is 2nd hand and 12 years old and the warranty is by BMW and not the original dealer the car was sold in Australia by. There is a service recall on that linkage as it is known for issues with gear change, jumping out of gear etc. I am getting a new clutch on Monday and once I get the car back, I can post the Tech Bulletin ref regarding that linkage for you.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:30 PM
MacGuruTX
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Milpol
There is a service recall on that linkage as it is known for issues with gear change, jumping out of gear etc. I am getting a new clutch on Monday and once I get the car back, I can post the Tech Bulletin ref regarding that linkage for you.
Interesting... Anyone have the Tech Bulletin??

Old 01-27-2015, 02:18 AM
Milpol
2nd Gear
OK, located my paperwork, this may only be relevant to Australia.

Campaign # 0053368 Retaining clip on gear shift mechanism.

It appears to be something to do with an absorber so if the retaining clip is faulty it may mean the absorber falls out resulting in the linkage either jamming or not functioning correctly.

Hope this is of some help.