Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain What would you do next?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 02:25 PM
rosaymaan
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
What would you do next?

Hey all,

Looking to buy myself some holiday goodies and can't decide what I want to do next...

I have an '04 r53 w/ 35k miles. Recently added a 15% pulley and a borla race exaust. Love the new aggressive sound and am pleasantly surprised by how much quicker she is.

In terms of my interests, I'm not auto-crossing/tracking just yet, but it's something I'd like to get into eventually. She's my daily driver but I don't drive much during the week so comfort is not a huge concern. Would
like to continue to improve speed and throttle response, but want to have proper balance betweeen speed/handling so was thinking of working on handling next. BUT, I think the mcs already has decent/tight handling. Hands down though, my biggest interest is spending money on mods (or combination of mods) that I can really notice a before/after difference.

Also, FYI I'm going to do tune+injectors in the spring (prob rmw)...this is just to hold me over!

Budget is ~$600...

Here's what I've been thinking about (obv can't do them
all) - am I missing anything?

- cai
- rear sway
- std/uti
- camshaft?
- gauges (boost/oil temp) - mostly vanity here, but I love the look...

Thanks in advance for your help/thoughts!

-Matt

Old 11-28-2014, 03:32 PM
Josh572
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't personally done it, but be heard that Sprint Boosters make a huge touch/feel throttle wise. It doesn't make it any faster, but throttle response is greatly improved. They are super easy to install as well

Old 11-28-2014, 03:41 PM
ArmyDog
Coordinator::Asia
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if yer looking for some goodies cheap for yer MINI.....do rear seat delete or harnesses....just saying

Old 11-28-2014, 04:48 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
I'd skip the sprint booster if you are planning a tune...
The tuner can adjust the throttle response, much like the sprint booster...
There!! In just made the tune more cost effective!!

Old 11-28-2014, 06:41 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 756 Likes on 618 Posts
I would highly recommend the Hsport Comp bar as the first as it is big bang for your buck, just like the pulley was.

Then I'd get a Scangauge to monitor engine temp and as that could save you from an expensive repair later.

Then the Craven Strut Tower Defenders as this can prevent mushrooming and strut mount damage.

After that it's a toss up. We can do a basic flash on the ECU which will gain you throttle response, smoothness, and a little power if you send it to us. Or go for the DDM intake.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 11-28-2014, 07:55 PM
AndyPWR53
4th Gear
I'll recommend you a few things based on cost effectiveness and what I have positive experiences with on my car.

-grab the jcw spark plugs to go with your pulley. The part # is bkr7equp. They go for around $7/piece on ebay
-powerflex lower motor mount insert. Part # is PFF5-107. Goes for about $30, keeps the engine nice and stable during shifting. Definitely a noticeable improvement
-like others have mentioned, strut tower plates of some sort.
-rear sway bar. It is to handling what the pulley is to your acceleration. Definitely one of the most noticeable mods I've done on my car
-with the rest I'd either go with an intake or some lowering springs. The intake won't really make much of difference in power but it will sound great with your pulley and exhaust. Go with the springs if you want to give it a more sporty stance and/or complement the sway bar and don't see yourself ever getting coilovers in the future.

Old 11-28-2014, 08:04 PM
ArmyDog
Coordinator::Asia
Scooting

Get the MSD coil also and iridum plugs. For giggles I held the spark plug while starting today hahah.
Heart shock and lots of 4 letter words! My hands are still buzzing after 5 hours....but I am crazy like that hahahah

Originally Posted by AndyPWR53
I'll recommend you a few things based on cost effectiveness and what I have positive experiences with on my car.

-grab the jcw spark plugs to go with your pulley. The part # is bkr7equp. They go for around $7/piece on ebay
-powerflex lower motor mount insert. Part # is PFF5-107. Goes for about $30, keeps the engine nice and stable during shifting. Definitely a noticeable improvement
-like others have mentioned, strut tower plates of some sort.
-rear sway bar. It is to handling what the pulley is to your acceleration. Definitely one of the most noticeable mods I've done on my car
-with the rest I'd either go with an intake or some lowering springs. The intake won't really make much of difference in power but it will sound great with your pulley and exhaust. Go with the springs if you want to give it a more sporty stance and/or complement the sway bar and don't see yourself ever getting coilovers in the future.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:40 PM
rosaymaan
3rd Gear
Already replaced the plugs when I did the pulley

So looks like the sway bar is a must - great price too at wmw!

If I get the strut tower defenders, should i get the underaters as well?

What's the deal with a camshaft? Is that an easy install? Ok to use w/out a tune? Main benefits?

Old 11-29-2014, 06:11 AM
AndyPWR53
4th Gear
The under plates will be unnecessary if you have the strut top plates. I wouldn't recommend installing a cam yourself unless you already have some experience doing engine work of that nature.

http://www.werkinmini.com/R50-R53%20...stallation.pdf

A cam won't really do much on its own. Maybe like 5-8hp. Its more of something you do in conjunction to other things like head, header, injectors, tune etc.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:35 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 756 Likes on 618 Posts
Originally Posted by rosaymaan
Already replaced the plugs when I did the pulley

So looks like the sway bar is a must - great price too at wmw!

If I get the strut tower defenders, should i get the underaters as well?

What's the deal with a camshaft? Is that an easy install? Ok to use w/out a tune? Main benefits?
Thanks on the sway bar, plus we have FREE Shipping on orders if you order through Monday. no coupon needed.

If you get the strut tower defenders no need for the under tower plates. We don't even recommend the under tower plates as they raise the ride height, reduce camber, and are much harder to install. The top defenders is all you need.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 11-29-2014, 11:38 AM
rosaymaan
3rd Gear
Just purchased the sway bar from wmw - thanks for the advice!

Another quick question - for the strut defenders looks like there are a few option, some come with a connecting bar too? What's the difference?

Also I have the mount holes for the oem cabrio braces are they worth adding along with the sway? I'll prob eventually get the under brace as well...

Old 11-29-2014, 12:36 PM
rosaymaan
3rd Gear
Also I'm just reading about the Detroit tuned bpv replacement mod? can anybody whose done this mod comment on improvement in throttle response?

Old 12-04-2014, 10:23 AM
JRickson
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
I would highly recommend the Hsport Comp bar as the first as it is big bang for your buck, just like the pulley was.

Then I'd get a Scangauge to monitor engine temp and as that could save you from an expensive repair later.

Then the Craven Strut Tower Defenders as this can prevent mushrooming and strut mount damage.

After that it's a toss up. We can do a basic flash on the ECU which will gain you throttle response, smoothness, and a little power if you send it to us. Or go for the DDM intake.
Can you talk a little more about the flash? Pricing? Gains?

If this is on your website, I apologize, I was not able to find it.