Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

R53 sounds like it has horses galloping in the engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 03:37 PM
shub
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R53 sounds like it has horses galloping in the engine bay

Out of the blue, clattering noise developed. Pace of clattering increases with engine RPM. Sounds like it's coming from pulley side of engine.

It doesn't sound like the diesel engine noise that happens on cold starts. The sound has a different rhythm then cam followers... I think. I'll try to record it later, but the noise is a Clomp Clomp Clomp (rapidly, really does sound like horses gallopng) ; brief pause; repeat.

I'm thinking this noise is a pulley or maybe the tensioner vibrating?

This car threw a serpentine belt a few weeks ago. I wasn't able to read any lettering on the shredded belt, it was thin as paper, so the replacement belt was a guess. I don't remember, but I think I used NAPA Part Number: 25060547. When I compressed the tensioner I got it up to two holes (it wouldn't fit with one hole showing). So, in short I don't know if the belt I picked was too tight or not.

Old 11-22-2014, 03:52 PM
jamez
5th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
I just posted this the other day on another thread. Let's hope it doesn't sound familiar:

Conrod bearing lost due to lack of oil:

The following users liked this post:
madcanvis (06-05-2022)
Old 11-22-2014, 04:04 PM
shub
1st Gear
Oh god... It does sound similar . Not as violent as yours, plus mine pauses while its idling in between rattles. If it were more morse it'd be _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _

Old 11-27-2014, 01:52 PM
shub
1st Gear
Watched a ModMINI on replacing the timing chain tensioner, in hopes I could achieve a quick cheap fix. I posted a video after doing this. There is still a rattle, it's not as loud or as stuttery as before, but it's definitely still there. Should I be thinking about a timing chain kit?

MINI R53 Rattle - YouTube
"> MINI R53 Rattle - YouTube
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Last edited by shub; 11-27-2014 at 06:37 PM.
Old 11-27-2014, 04:46 PM
Nicefeet
5th Gear
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Have you tried removing the belt and starting the engine?

The would rule out that your supercharger PTO is not dusted

Old 11-27-2014, 05:47 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Another thing to consider if it was the timing chain....
Drain the oil, and change the filter...look for chunks of plastic from the timing chain guides...
If there is...you need to open it up and replace it..the guides/chain.

Old 11-27-2014, 06:31 PM
shub
1st Gear
Thanks guys,

I'll pull the belt again and see if that makes the rattle go away. I don't know what the PTO is, but it sounds like a bearing of sorts. As far as draining the engine oil, I just changed the oil last week and fit a new filter, but I could do it again.

I had a fleeting thought that maybe my PS Fan was getting gummed up, (car sounds more like a baseball card in a bicycle wheel now than it does galloping horses) but considering the pitch and speed of noise increases with engine RPM, I don't think that would make sense, I'm imagining an electric fan is only single speed.

So, while I'm musing about awful possibilities- could I have bent some valves before I got around be to replacing the chain tensioner?

By the way, I don't know why the video shows up twice, I tried to fix it but I don't get it.

Last edited by shub; 11-27-2014 at 06:38 PM.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:38 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Bent valves usually = zero compression...so a car will not run or will be very hard to start, and have a very bad miss...
Checking the PS fan will take you...er...3 minutes...just unbolt the bracket, and unplug it...see if the sound goes away...

Old 11-27-2014, 07:17 PM
shub
1st Gear
The car still seems to operate great aside from the noise, so perhaps my bent valve suspicion is far fetched. I was thinking maybe they were just bent a tiny bit.

My ps fan still has the OEM shroud, so I was too lazy to check it. When I was under the car last month I had the shroud off and found the fan to be completely seized with rust or something. I gave it a hard twist and could hear a gravely noise in the bearing. I hit it with wd-40 and kept manually rotating it until spun quiet and smoothly. I never got to see if my efforts worked on it or not, but I suppose I ought to look

Old 11-27-2014, 07:25 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
The seals on the bearings go bad on the older fans...
The newer ones are sealed better, and are stronger...
My first fan (factory) did not even last ONE NH winter back in 2005...
Got a new one...lasted about 3 years...then needed a new one, and I retrofitted it with the fan duct from a cabrio...was once a decent option to protect the fan for $85...
Blowing out an old one and lubing it works for a bit...but a bit of rain/sand/grit...
The thing is 2005 is a spit on how they were wired...
Older cars, can have the fan sieze...blows a 5 amp fuse, that basicly de-powers a relay that prevents the radiator fan from running...
So starting with JANUARY 2005 production...the wiring was changed...and some earlier cars were rewired under a service campaign by mini.....so I'd look...if the fan gets stuck, you could end up overheating at a traffic light...costing more $$.
So check your PRODUCTION DATE.(drivers side door jamb)...my car was modified by mini of Peabody to match later production 2005 cars when they changed the first PS fan....

Old 11-27-2014, 07:34 PM
shub
1st Gear
Ill take a peek at my MFG date, but I'm guessing it's updated wiring. I was experiencing overheating last few months, but the cause was narrowed down to the crummy resistor- both relays work great. I have no idea if the PS fan even operates. My AC doesn't work, so I don't know how to trigger it.

Old 11-27-2014, 07:41 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Folks often find the ac compressor is failed when they find a bad resistor on the radiator fan...
I suspect with lower airflow, the compressor must run at a high psi...burns it \or compressor clutch out...
New radiator fan is about $100 on rockauto.com....going on...about 5+ years on mine..the TYC branded fan.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:23 PM
shub
1st Gear
Yeah, I bought this car 12k miles ago, and it had no AC (not clear why, clutch works but compressor sounds gaspy, system also has a slow leak) overheated and lost coolant from day one. Ended up replacing the water pump last month and discovered the failed fan resistor. Supercharger was fine at the time. In hindsight I wish I had checked its oil while I was in there. Working on the MINI is always borrowed time when it's my DD, had to carpool for a week.

Okay, so PTO means power take off, I see. When I saw that it made me think of farm tractors, surprised to see that's the idea here too- makes sense though where that its driving the water pump.

So, if my charger is dried out, I could have worn PTO gears. I looked at some videos on YouTube and I also saw that some people had wiggly rotors causing rattling in the SC. Maybe I can buy a lower mileage SC, oil and fit new seals?

Old 01-26-2015, 09:41 AM
thirstygreek
1st Gear
Did you fix this?

Old 01-26-2015, 11:19 AM
shub
1st Gear
I replaced the timing tensioner. This made a pretty big difference, but there's still an intermittent rattle. Probably the lousy PTO gear box. Car is currently dead in my garage , once I get a new starter in it, I'm hoping I can trade it for something else. I still owe 5400 bux on it... I'm hoping they'll at least give me 3k for it.. This is my wife's car. I gave up on this money sucker and bought her a new Honda CR-V

Old 02-13-2015, 10:18 PM
Warren982
Neutral
Originally Posted by shub
Watched a ModMINI on replacing the timing chain tensioner, in hopes I could achieve a quick cheap fix. I posted a video after doing this. There is still a rattle, it's not as loud or as stuttery as before, but it's definitely still there. Should I be thinking about a timing chain kit?

MINI R53 Rattle - YouTube">MINI R53 Rattle - YouTube" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Mine doesn't sound quite as rough, but mine had a noise coming from the same area, and across the top of the engine. Well, turns out I'll be spending a pay check on a new supercharger. If you still hear the noise, its probably what it is. The water pump drive takes a **** and it ruins the blower. (Im told this by a mini technician) I have a video of what mine sounds like but not sure how to post it on here.