R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Bavarian Autosport Power Programmer?

Old 11-19-2014, 04:47 PM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
Bavarian Autosport Power Programmer?

Anyone have any info on this? Anyone tried it? I'm assuming it's something similar to the GIAC canned tunes you can get for the R53?

I'm interested to see if anyone has tried this...or has more info on it.

http://www.bavauto.com/fland.asp?par...FYM7aQod5hIACA

Old 11-19-2014, 05:45 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Id hold out for used uni chip. Much better than those, most will tell you to get a proper tune.

Old 11-19-2014, 06:04 PM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Uni "chip"??? Minis don't use a chip. They need a flash tune...right?

Old 11-20-2014, 05:14 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
if you actually check that, they don't have one for the mini, its says for only turbo bmw's, bavauto doesn't actually have all that much stuff for minis anymore

Old 11-20-2014, 05:35 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
When I selected a 2003 Mini Cooper S .....it said it was available.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:15 AM
bavmotors
6th Gear
The bavauto tuner is the same as the turner Motorsport shark injector.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:37 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I see
Warning! We have NOT confirmed that this product fits a 2005 Mini Cooper S.

We have 1000's of parts for your 2005 Mini Cooper S in our online store. We recommend that you

regardless I think that the ecu will adapt over it in the long run and do nothing but try to fool the ECU, we don't have too many options us r53 owners =(

Old 11-20-2014, 09:49 AM
02s79fj40
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bavmotors
The bavauto tuner is the same as the turner Motorsport shark injector.
Correction: It's the same thing as a Jim Conforti shark injector. Turner happens to sell them also. MINI must have made some major software change or something for 05. This only works on cars built up until the end of the 04 model year.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:17 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Saltysalt
I see
Warning! We have NOT confirmed that this product fits a 2005 Mini Cooper S.

We have 1000's of parts for your 2005 Mini Cooper S in our online store. We recommend that you

regardless I think that the ecu will adapt over it in the long run and do nothing but try to fool the ECU, we don't have too many options us r53 owners =(
I know...hard to believe. I can find better/more options out there for my tuning my wifes 04' VW Golf than I can my Mini.

It's ridiculous that the only "good" option R53 owners have is to call up a place like RMW, pay $350 for a tune, pay $300 for the flash module you need, and pay $200+ for the dyno time needed to have the tune tweaked for you by someone like Jan.

I still find it hard to believe that people are paying that kind of money for a few extra HP. Now if you are lucky enough to be able to make it to a "tune party".....it only costs you $350. I think that's a good deal.....but not $850.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:01 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Originally Posted by IQRaceworks
I know...hard to believe. I can find better/more options out there for my tuning my wifes 04' VW Golf than I can my Mini. It's ridiculous that the only "good" option R53 owners have is to call up a place like RMW, pay $350 for a tune, pay $300 for the flash module you need, and pay $200+ for the dyno time needed to have the tune tweaked for you by someone like Jan. I still find it hard to believe that people are paying that kind of money for a few extra HP. Now if you are lucky enough to be able to make it to a "tune party".....it only costs you $350. I think that's a good deal.....but not $850.
Few more hp plus they will usually run smoother. I'd like at least a uni chip eventually.

Old 11-20-2014, 04:12 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Uni-chip is a piggyback....OK...but less than ideal...unsupported now on the mini...the maker stopped making them back when custom tunes came out...
BUT some folks did OK...but you must still find one SETUP FOR YOUR OPTIONS...so dyno might be needed...worked for some...burnt out ecu's or left people stranded when the "prongs" on the no cut connectors become unbent...
The "shark" injector just changes the timing...advances it WAY TOO MUCH...lots of burnt valves... Don't do it...
Yes..there was an ECU change in 2005...one or two more engine sensors were added...so not all products are compatible...
But for about $300 you can ship your ecu to a vendor with a list of mods for a "canned" tune...
Main issue is the mini ecu is locked down with encryption and a checksum...so getting a car to except the uploaded tune after it is altered needs it to both be reencrypted and made so the cars says, OK.....took lots of $$$$ to crack the system...so folks that bought licences to use the software to tune guards the software VERY closely.....
Getting a tune at a event, like the dragon, amviv, mot, etc is the best option for many....plan ahead...have a vacation, get a tune.

Old 11-20-2014, 04:15 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
P.S.
THE BEST thing about the custom RMW tune I got is not the extra HP, the smoother running, perfectly smooth idle, or the better mpg, but the fact my DSC was "tweaked" so it is not as aggressive at the power reduction....the fact my car idles perfectly quiet and smooth like a swiss watch is terrific...more factory like or better, no "tuner" feel...better drivability...HP was nice, but the sum of the improvement IMO was so much more....
Best $300 I ever spent on my MINI. PERIOD.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:36 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
P.S.
THE BEST thing about the custom RMW tune I got is not the extra HP, the smoother running, perfectly smooth idle, or the better mpg, but the fact my DSC was "tweaked" so it is not as aggressive at the power reduction....the fact my car idles perfectly quiet and smooth like a swiss watch is terrific...more factory like or better, no "tuner" feel...better drivability...HP was nice, but the sum of the improvement IMO was so much more....
Best $300 I ever spent on my MINI. PERIOD.
Wish I could make it to a tuning party one of these days....$300 would be great!!!,. But since MINI's in my area are pretty much non-existent..there are never any tuning party's close by, or even shops that know anything about performance mods for Minis.

Since it's going to be $800+ for the tune, flash module, and dyno time.... it's just not worth it to me.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:21 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by IQRaceworks
Wish I could make it to a tuning party one of these days....$300 would be great!!!,. But since MINI's in my area are pretty much non-existent..there are never any tuning party's close by, or even shops that know anything about performance mods for Minis.

Since it's going to be $800+ for the tune, flash module, and dyno time.... it's just not worth it to me.
Have you looked at taking the ecu out, and shipping it out for a bench, aka a canned tune...
With a list of your mods, most tuners can get you a slightly less aggressive canned tune...
If you have access to a second car for a few days or get a rental cheap...might be an option...
Then again...as is vs the stress and inconvenience of doing it might be better...

Old 11-24-2014, 12:03 PM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
Have you looked at taking the ecu out, and shipping it out for a bench, aka a canned tune...
With a list of your mods, most tuners can get you a slightly less aggressive canned tune...
If you have access to a second car for a few days or get a rental cheap...might be an option...
Then again...as is vs the stress and inconvenience of doing it might be better...
Yes, I’ve given quite a bunch of thought to just sending the ECU out and having it flashed with a canned tune. My worry is that if it comes back and something isn’t right (pinging at WOT, rough idle, high idle)….or any of the other things some people see with canned tunes…..then I’m stuck sending it back again and waiting for the change to be made. I’m pretty happy with the way it is now (factory 200hp JCW tune)……so I don’t know if I want to gamble with sending it out for a canned tune that may or may not make the car run any better.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:21 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Naww...
I wouldn't touch it...
If the dealer was giving JCW tunes like they are now, I would not have gone through the trouble of a custom tune. I was skeptical about custom tuners, and they proved me wrong, but I had it done out of an abundance of caution for fear of running lean with a stock s tune and a 17, then fear of melting a cat with the 380's Injectors, and no tune...cheaper to prevent an issue than fix it...other stuff was just icing on the cake. With the JCW tune, the fuel should be cranked up already so sounds like you are fine.
Generally the further from stock, the more benefit of a tune....I am pretty mildly modded, but the tune just brought it together and made it feel factory....some need it to run or for drivibilty issues...