Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

1692 Not Starting!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 04:58 PM
Wasatch7
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1692 Not Starting!!

Hey everyone just picked up a mini I am trying to get running for my brother. it cranks over but wont start, has a code 1692, checked has good spark, and has really good compression. about 180 psi. Also everything on inside was working(windows, locks, lights, etc.) until we disconnected the negative battery terminal for about 30 minutes. Reconnected the battery and then nothing would work... dont know if somehow I blew some fuses or if something needs to be reset? Afterwards the low beams would automatically turn on with the key but wouldnt turn off with the switch.... Anythings i should check?

Old 11-04-2014, 05:13 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Get the battery on a charger...
Odd things happen when voltage gets low...these cars are mostly computers with a car attached...
Lots of cranking...and a weak battery...maybe a loose ground (you did tighten the battery lugs right?)....
Don't feel like looking up the code right now...maybe somebody will google it...
And S OR NON-S??

Old 11-04-2014, 05:29 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
I Googled code 1692, it has a bunch of stuff about unfair legal practices:

"A debt collector may not use unfair or unconscionable means to collect or attempt to collect any debt. Without limiting the general application of the foregoing, the following conduct is a violation of this section."

I don't think that has anything to do with MINIs, maybe there is a letter of two in front of the number?

Dave

Old 11-04-2014, 05:36 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
On the other forum I looked at, one guy had a wiring harness issue....
Another had a no power to the fuel pump due to a leaking sunroof drain that had corroded the back of the fuse panel...
What year car...
The 2002 cars are a bit different...

Old 11-04-2014, 05:41 PM
Kdelder
2nd Gear
P1692 is considered a safety level code.
Electronic Throttle Control Monitor Level 2/3 Motorized Throttle Control and Fuel Injection Switch Off 'A'

It can be set due to an internal calculation error in the ECM, (engine speed, (limit) etc).
The fuel injector cut-off would be ECM controlled. Meaning it deactivated an injector due to a fault, malfunction in engine speed limitation or engine speed control, fault in electronic throttle module.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:09 PM
Wasatch7
Neutral
It is a 2004 non s model. Yeah it was a p1692. Had my brother check to make sure he was getting power to the pump and sure enough he was, he messed with a few fuses and everything started to work. It finally cranked over and it now running great with no problems and no codes. Also all lights work as well. Thanks for the help guys!!

Old 09-25-2016, 09:12 PM
mdurando
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've seen lots of posts on P1692 but no clear answers. I pulled the code yesterday and thought I'd add my experience:

2005 MCS.

I have 100k miles on the car and have never before seen SES light. I have had a known parasitic battery drain for years - if the car sits for more than 4-5 days, the battery will drain to dead. After a disastrous slave cylinder replacement in which the car was on stands for ~1 week, I tried jumping the car but to no avail - it just cranked but would not turn. I smelled gasoline after about 10 seconds of fruitless cranking. I have never had any trouble starting this car in the 6 years I have had it.

I rechecked the jumper cables, lowered the car from the stands, and let it sit for about 30 minutes. I then jumped it again and it started, but then the SES light stayed on. My OBD2 pulled code "P1692". Strangely, I was not able to erase the code.

The car seemed to run fine. I drove it for about 20 miles, enough to recharge the battery so it would crank and start on its own. No further issues starting. I then also charged the battery at 2Amps for about 4 hours. After another ~5 miles of driving, the SES light went off on its own. I subsequently drove the car on a an excellent mountain road for about 60 miles - it did great. No further SES light (so far).

Long story short: If you pull P1692, I suggest fully charging or replacing the battery before thinking about Electronic Throttle control, Fuel Injector Switch, and any of the other more in-depth problems described in other posts for code P1692.

Old 05-16-2018, 06:11 PM
Le Saenz
Neutral
I have the similar problem but my engine runs fine. However I got P1692 (A) and P1693 (B). Also, all the fuses are good to go; tomorrow Ill be changing the fuel filter and see if it corrects the throttle response.

Old 08-13-2023, 02:39 PM
rrglo
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wanted to add a bit of experience/knowledge to this thread.

Had the same issue, P1692 code (couldn't clear), would crank but not start. Hand to have it towed back home!!!

Went through the typical steps (checked connections to the TB, Gas Pedal, ECU, and checked spark and fuel). I was getting no spark when cranking, but that wasn't the cause.

After swapping a working TB, Pedal, Ignition Coil (testing each time) nothing changed. Reset using the Tach procedure, disconnecting battery, and the p1692 code would not clear.

Final step, I checked all of the relays, cleaned the connections on the ECU and plugs, all connection points for relays, and at the end of the day it was just (drum roll please!).... engine fuse F2!!! yup a 20A fuse.

So in short, if this is coming up, do a thorough check on the fuses in the engine bay and make sure something didn't short out in there first ($3 fuse and 5 minutes time VS. $$$ in part swaps).

The following 2 users liked this post by rrglo:
Daftlad (08-13-2023), ECSTuning (08-14-2023)