R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Door emergency!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 05:30 AM
jstathus87
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Door emergency!!!!

So my 2006 MCS that I just purchased on Wed decided to all of a sudden not allow me to open my door on the driver side. It has been working fine up till now and had used it multiple times over night. I had to climb out the window and hold the key in the lock position to get in. Any one have any experience with this? The door locks and unlocks including when I pull the handle the first time when it is locked. There feels like there is no resistance when I pull the handle the second time to open the door though. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 11-01-2014, 05:59 AM
Bearybee
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just went through this with my 05 MC. Remove the door panel. There are 3 or 4 torque screws. Also, pop the trim piece off of the door handle and the reflector on the top of the door. Once they are removed, carefully pop the door panel off across the bottom. Be mindful of the wire that attaches to the light on the bottom of the door panel. I had some plastic interior removal tools but you can use a stiff putty knife or screwdriver as long as your careful. Once the door panel is off, you have to look at the cable that goes from the handle to the latching mechanism. You will see where it probably came off of it's holder. I used a piece of tape to hold it in. Do a quick search on your favorite search engine and you will see that this is pretty common.

Originally Posted by jstathus87
So my 2006 MCS that I just purchased on Wed decided to all of a sudden not allow me to open my door on the driver side. It has been working fine up till now and had used it multiple times over night. I had to climb out the window and hold the key in the lock position to get in. Any one have any experience with this? The door locks and unlocks including when I pull the handle the first time when it is locked. There feels like there is no resistance when I pull the handle the second time to open the door though. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 11-01-2014, 06:44 AM
jstathus87
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Bearybee, thanks for the quick reply. I went outside to work on it and thought I would give it one last try and pop, the door opened. Under closer examination i noticed that the outside door handle release was not reseting back to the normal position so it was partially pressed in which in turn was preventing the door latch on the inside to work. All that i need to do is shimmy the black part that you pull on and it will reset to the normal postition so the door can be opened again from the inside or outside. I think I will need to get some grease or something to lube up that part of the handle so it doesn' t get partially stuck. Once again thanks for the quick reply.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:48 AM
Bearybee
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Awesome!! Glad it worked out for you.

Originally Posted by jstathus87
Hey Bearybee, thanks for the quick reply. I went outside to work on it and thought I would give it one last try and pop, the door opened. Under closer examination i noticed that the outside door handle release was not reseting back to the normal position so it was partially pressed in which in turn was preventing the door latch on the inside to work. All that i need to do is shimmy the black part that you pull on and it will reset to the normal postition so the door can be opened again from the inside or outside. I think I will need to get some grease or something to lube up that part of the handle so it doesn' t get partially stuck. Once again thanks for the quick reply.