R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Does Alternator function affect power steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 12:22 PM
laflamme
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does Alternator function affect power steering

I know I think this sounds stupid..please read on. Yesterday just as I was starting out to drive home from work, the steering felt tight but after a minute or two felt normal. Then about 40 minutes later the alternator light comes on (2006 mini S). It turns out from the mechanic it is a bad alternator. Anyways, mechanic can only get one locally at a dealer. Installed price 1200 dollars!!! So, I am actually looking for a replacement myself as Bavarian auto down the street can order me one for about 250 (remanufactured, Bosch one). Ok so I go to the local mechanic to pick up my car and the power steering now completely does not work.

Could this even remotely be related to the alternator issue? maybe belt or something? Or did all the crap hit the fan at once?

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Peter

Old 10-31-2014, 12:27 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Yup...
To extended drive time with a failed alternator, the PS pump SHOULD turn off when the alternators stops putting out voltage or the system voltage drops too far....

Old 10-31-2014, 12:30 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Not sure WHY the PS pump did not turn back on right....
But is suspect the "sense" wire that goes from the alternator to the PS pump was not connected...so no PS pump....
Just a guess...but maybe somebody can confirm.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:56 PM
laflamme
Neutral
Thanks so much for your response Zippy. I take it you live in the granite state also. Anyways, I have not had the alternator fixed yet. I merely drove it home from the mechanic (Sullivan tire). I am happy to hear that most likely I should not have PS problems after the alternator is fixed. By the way, could you give me some suggestions on where I might find a rebuilt alternator locally beside the dealer and Bavarian auto sport (they have to order one).

Thanks,
Peter

Old 10-31-2014, 01:23 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
The GUTS of the gen1 denso alternator are said to be exactly the same as other denso units of the same amps used on toyotda/Honda cars...
So a rebuilders could do one on the spot, and even change out the internals and reuse the case if it was bad...heck at least one member actually did that...
I would NOT get an auto parts store "lifetime" unit...they will fail yearly...
Heck the denso is very good...my wife's highlander has the factory one(same amp rating) with 240,000 miles....lower rpm since she has a v6...bet that is why mini's can eat alternators, and why the S has a good DENSO (a TINY group of cars got a Mitsubishi electric due to shortages) and the cooper uses a junky valeo or a bosh....if you were diying it, I'd try to fix it or carry it to a auto electric shop for a rebuild while you wait, but if you are getting it done...means you really need to swap it as a core so the car is not waiting on a lift...sounds like bavauto is getting you one...if NAPA had a QUALITY denso rebuild (yes, they do rebuild them themselves, as do 3rd parties like bosh), I might go down that path...heck rockauto.com with overnight shipping for a rebuilt denso from denso might make sense if you must supply the part to Sullivan's... Watch out..they ripped off a buddy when I was commuting to Portsmouth (PSM)...charged him about 2-3x the going rate for a basic belt on a pickup...said it was a 3 hr job...
I walked out to his pickup...and took the new belt off...showed it him, then put it back on in 5 minutes using a long ratchet in the hole on the tensioner on it...half hour shop time max...hit him for 3 hours and the belt...his truck did roll to a stop almost in front...saving a tow...but ouch...but they are mostly a TIRE shop...
If they go into "service mode" to swap the alternator...should not add more than an HOUR maybe 1.5 for the job...I have done it in my narrow condo's garage in about that to do other stuff...and I am not a pro...

Old 10-31-2014, 01:45 PM
laflamme
Neutral
Thanks man. I know someone that can do it for me. I have not ordered it yet but if I can get an overnight one delivered then I will try to do that. I have my car back at my house now. Just hope it has enough to get me to the guy that can replace it. Ill let you know what happens. I will look for a denso unit as you suggest. I probably wont have this car a lot longer 120K on it but want to get decent quality as I don't want to stick someone else with a problem.

Peter

Old 10-31-2014, 08:36 PM
David.R53
5th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
An official Denso reman unit is around $160 from Rock Auto. I have been very pleased with them as a source for such parts.

When I was having alternator troubles (completely self inflicted - hooked up the B+ wire incorrectly), my power steering would go out whenever the battery voltage dropped past some threshold (somewhere around 10.5 volts I would guess). If I charged the battery overnight, power steering would come back on and remain on until the battery was depleted again. I got the idea it is not really looking at alternator output, but is looking at system voltage.

Old 11-01-2014, 05:36 AM
laflamme
Neutral
Thanks so much for your advice. I will look on rock auto. Still trying to find something local but not having much luck except at the dealer (750 dollars).

Old 11-01-2014, 08:48 AM
minsanity
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
My buddy's R50 had a denso, surprisingly. That was a guinea pig of sorts as we tested swapping in the core of a Toyota unit Denso. Perfectly fits. The main difference between the R50 & 53 Denso units is just the orientation of 1 of the terminals since the latter has a different tensioner & has an SC. Again, same core.
Swap in new bearings shuold you tackle them.
Zippy is right. Some had Bosch or Valeo. Not as good as the Denso.
Failures of these might be caused by the heat in the cramped engine bay or our cars being subjected to more spirited driving than others.

By the way, check your crank pulley. When mine failed, batt light was on instantly, lost AC & PS.