R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Looks like a rebuiling year

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 11:26 PM
deejaay86
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like a rebuiling year

So i was driving Jaquie ('02 r50) to work the other day and she started chugging and lost power felt like she was running on 3 cylinders so i towed her home. So i hooked up the scan tool, misfire on #1 cylinder. Compression test confirmed my worst fear #1 cylinder had not even a hint of compression (dry or wet) all other cylinders were acceptable. Anyway against much of the advice i found from you nice folks at NAM i have decided to rebuild from the bottom up ( this motor has 225000 miles on it the problem is most likely in the upper end but i think the lower end should get an overhaul after workin hard for 12 years. I understand there will be many problems and a ton of money will be spent but i am set on this, shes my first cooper and we've been thru a lot together (took her on my first date and such) so its all sentimental-y and junk lol.
So i guess what I'm asking is does anyone have some advice on this rebuild? Or suggestions on parts? Im thinking i will go with a new and upgraded head maybe a custom built from Way? Are there any internal parts out there for my application that can help maybe add some power? My only caveat here is id like to keep it somewhat reliable (she's my dd) and i don't have any experience working on turbos or superchargers so im not gonna even try to go there. All input is appreciated and if anyone knows a good machine shop in Southern California with some good experience with our cars that would definitely help too!

Old 10-20-2014, 05:10 AM
go_mini
2nd Gear
I would swap for a used low mileage cooper s engine if i wanted to add power now and later and i would assume you will also need the cooper s tranny as well. it might just cost you the same or maybe less than rebuilding an engine with aftermarket performance parts. just a suggestion, maybe im wrong on the cost. good luck.

Old 10-20-2014, 05:45 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
+1 on replacing a used engine/trans may be cheaper than a rebuild plus the addition of performance parts.

But if you just want to rebuild to stock.... I would still check on the cost of a used engine for a swap vs the rebuild.

Many years ago I paid to have an engine rebuilt and for the money I spent I could have purchased a create motor.

Best of luck.

Motor on!

Old 10-20-2014, 07:06 AM
N2MINI
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Give Jan at RMW a call. He is in Cali... Getting extra power out of the motor won't come cheap but he can do it.. and or send you in the right direction for a rebuild..

Old 10-20-2014, 10:45 AM
MikeN
2nd Gear
If your piston did not crack in half and score the cylinders, then rebuilding it will be pretty cheap. Just source a used piston and rod.
Piston and rod $100
New rings for all pistons $100
Rod bearing set $300
Front and rear crank seals $40
Headwork if there is a bent valve $120-300

It's not that bad to rebuild honestly. Just takes some time.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:51 AM
jamez
5th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
You're not crazy at all to want to keep it and rebuild it. It may not be the cheapest method, but at least you know who did the work, what parts were used and you may even have a warranty.

Mike N and I have both been through the problem with opposite philosophies. Mike has done an incredible job keeping the costs down and is happily motoring on.

In my case, it is my DD as well, and I plan to keep it forever. For the rebuild (that's for sale in Canada) I installed almost all new internals (the parts that needed changing), and I got them all from vendors on this site (but ultimately installed a factory crate).

If you've never rebuilt an engine before, I'd recommend having an engine builder do it (not a mechanic - they are different).

A new crate costs $6K from the dealer (up here at least).
Cost to rebuild varies as MikeN mentioned above. New parts are obviously more expensive and skilled labour is a significant portion of the overall cost. Expect $2-3K for labour and then parts for the rebuild.
Way's choices are very cost effective, but be aware of the shipping and any core charges that may be added on.

Access to the BMW TIS and a few other sources (like alldata) will be of major help.

Keep in mind - it is justacooper. You won't be seeing major power improvements like they get on the S's. I do know of a local R50 putting down 114whp though.

If memory serves correct - the R50 engines have a different compression ratio than the S's

Good luck!

Old 10-21-2014, 08:03 AM
N2MINI
6th Gear
Mine has been tuned by RMW and I have 113 HP and 113 Tq. Not a lot of course but it did pick up 7 or so from stock tune and had areas within the curve that it picked up 12-15 lb tq. Jan has built a "Just-a" engine to produce 200 HP but it's not a DD Motor.. and not cheap... I'd call around to the many vendors to see what they offer..

Old 10-21-2014, 02:13 PM
deejaay86
Neutral
Originally Posted by N2MINI
Give Jan at RMW a call. He is in Cali... Getting extra power out of the motor won't come cheap but he can do it.. and or send you in the right direction for a rebuild..
Mine has been tuned by RMW and I have 113 HP and 113 Tq. Not a lot of course but it did pick up 7 or so from stock tune and had areas within the curve that it picked up 12-15 lb tq. Jan has built a "Just-a" engine to produce 200 HP but it's not a DD Motor.. and not cheap... I'd call around to the many vendors to see what they offer..
Thanks! You're the second person to recommend Jan at RMW definitely gonna give him a call! Nice numbers by the way sounds like a fun drive

Old 10-21-2014, 02:30 PM
deejaay86
Neutral
Originally Posted by jamez
You're not crazy at all to want to keep it and rebuild it. It may not be the cheapest method, but at least you know who did the work, what parts were used and you may even have a warranty. Mike N and I have both been through the problem with opposite philosophies. Mike has done an incredible job keeping the costs down and is happily motoring on. In my case, it is my DD as well, and I plan to keep it forever. For the rebuild (that's for sale in Canada) I installed almost all new internals (the parts that needed changing), and I got them all from vendors on this site (but ultimately installed a factory crate). If you've never rebuilt an engine before, I'd recommend having an engine builder do it (not a mechanic - they are different). A new crate costs $6K from the dealer (up here at least). Cost to rebuild varies as MikeN mentioned above. New parts are obviously more expensive and skilled labour is a significant portion of the overall cost. Expect $2-3K for labour and then parts for the rebuild. Way's choices are very cost effective, but be aware of the shipping and any core charges that may be added on. Access to the BMW TIS and a few other sources (like alldata) will be of major help. Keep in mind - it is justacooper. You won't be seeing major power improvements like they get on the S's. I do know of a local R50 putting down 114whp though. If memory serves correct - the R50 engines have a different compression ratio than the S's Good luck!
I really needed to hear that im not crazy lol! Bc all my friends think im stupid! O well anyway im sticking with the point you mentioned about knowing the parts and the person involved with the build. I dont really yet know what to expect as far as power gains except not much bc like you said its a "justa" but i really would just like to get a little more oomph and another 225000 miles of motoring or around that. thanks for the advice!

Old 10-22-2014, 02:17 AM
N2MINI
6th Gear
During the rebuild with a good head, cam, header, exhaust, ECU Tune, you may pick up 20-25 HP possibly a few more which is about half of what an "S" car gets with same parts.

Old 10-22-2014, 06:01 PM
David.R53
5th Gear
I just finished up rebuilding my 03 MCS.

A couple of good lessons along the way - most of these engine failures start with oil starvation - plan on replacing the oil pump and clean the oil passages (and oil squirters) as much as you can.

Heads and some other engine parts are available on UK Ebay more cheaply than in the US (and some parts are sold there that are not sold here) - so make sure to check there.

The Bentley Manual is very good but doesn't talk much about engine internals.

Put "BMW TIS" into ebay and see what you find...

I asked many people and almost everyone advised me against a performance cam for a DD - be prepared for it to throw codes and activate the check engine light from time to time. I decided to skip the cam as I am not sure how well the wife would react to such things.

If you start replacing all the hoses, water pump, oil pump, timing parts, etc. it will definitely cost more but you are _probably_ buying some long term reliability.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:42 PM
AudioNToxication
5th Gear
Everything Dave.r53 said is good info. Preventative maintenance while things are apart is a very good plan. Everything is so much more accessible when the motor isn't in your way.

Also properly tuned cams don't throw codes. I've got 6k+ on mine with not one code. And I don't baby it.

Last edited by AudioNToxication; 10-22-2014 at 07:47 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:28 PM
deejaay86
Neutral
During the rebuild with a good head, cam, header, exhaust, ECU Tune, you may pick up 20-25 HP possibly a few more which is about half of what an "S" car gets with same parts.
Ok cool i think thats reasonable i'd be ok with around 25

Old 10-28-2014, 10:29 PM
deejaay86
Neutral
QUOTE="David.R53;4004219"]I just finished up rebuilding my 03 MCS. A couple of good lessons along the way - most of these engine failures start with oil starvation - plan on replacing the oil pump and clean the oil passages (and oil squirters) as much as you can. Heads and some other engine parts are available on UK Ebay more cheaply than in the US (and some parts are sold there that are not sold here) - so make sure to check there. The Bentley Manual is very good but doesn't talk much about engine internals. Put "BMW TIS" into ebay and see what you find... I asked many people and almost everyone advised me against a performance cam for a DD - be prepared for it to throw codes and activate the check engine light from time to time. I decided to skip the cam as I am not sure how well the wife would react to such things. If you start replacing all the hoses, water pump, oil pump, timing parts, etc. it will definitely cost more but you are _probably_ buying some long term reliability.[/QUOTE]

Awesome! Thanks i plan to put as much money as i can into the rebuild for that reason very good advice . The UK! Great idea i never thought of that. Just searched for the tis that will be awesome and its pretty cheap im feeling like this is gonna be easier than i thought still not easy lol but you get my point but you guys got me going and for that i thank you! But of course if anybody has anything else keep it coming!
Thanks again!

Old 10-28-2014, 10:35 PM
deejaay86
Neutral
Originally Posted by AudioNToxication
Everything Dave.r53 said is good info. Preventative maintenance while things are apart is a very good plan. Everything is so much more accessible when the motor isn't in your way. Also properly tuned cams don't throw codes. I've got 6k+ on mine with not one code. And I don't baby it.
Thanks i probably will do a cam in hopes that i will get one that suits the setup better since i will probably get a different head

Old 10-29-2014, 02:26 AM
N2MINI
6th Gear
Keep us posted, and once you get it all done and tuned let us know what kind of Dyno reading you get? and which parts you used etc...Going to get pretty pricey for 20-25 HP and of course that depends on what parts are used..

Old 10-29-2014, 08:06 PM
deejaay86
Neutral
Keep us posted, and once you get it all done and tuned let us know what kind of Dyno reading you get? and which parts you used etc...Going to get pretty pricey for 20-25 HP and of course that depends on what parts are used..
Will do! And yea I'm definitely not looking forward to footing the bill! But im starting the process after my next paycheck