Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Window regulator noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 01:03 PM
miniuser
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window regulator noise

thanks in advance -
I have searched here and other forums (yes I subscribe to other mini sites - sorry)
2006 S
I have the window motor sound when operating window
window does not move -
I opened panel
am able to move window up and down by hand
cable intact - so
is is possible the motor and the cable gear connection is caput?
do i need to replace both cable and motor since -
don't know how to test this without removing everything.
I just do not know how to diagnose and would love to not replace everything

Old 09-21-2014, 01:08 PM
Drivehard
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by miniuser
thanks in advance - I have searched here and other forums (yes I subscribe to other mini sites - sorry) 2006 S I have the window motor sound when operating window window does not move - I opened panel am able to move window up and down by hand cable intact - so is is possible the motor and the cable gear connection is caput? do i need to replace both cable and motor since - don't know how to test this without removing everything. I just do not know how to diagnose and would love to not replace everything
Sounds like the regulator cable has broken. Hence you hear the motor. Just because the cable moves doesn't mean it's connected. You probably can get away with just the regulator but hopefully the cable didn't wrap around the motor and damage the drive. Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring

Window regulator noise-image-655913782.jpg

Old 09-21-2014, 01:10 PM
miniuser
1st Gear
interesting - I figured since the cable moves at both ends - it was not snapped... but it saves $95 for a motor I do not need - any suggestions on parts houses for the regulator? thanks

Old 09-21-2014, 01:29 PM
Drivehard
4th Gear
interesting - I figured since the cable moves at both ends - it was not snapped... but it saves $95 for a motor I do not need - any suggestions on parts houses for the regulator? thanks
Can't help with parts. Maybe ECS has it. You may want to pull the panel and carefully remove the vapor barrier enough to unbolt the motor and check the drive. The vapor barrier is crucial to water control so don't tear it. It's held on with "dum-dum." Very sticky and gooey adhesive. Cut the dum dum as you pull back on the barrier

Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring

Old 09-21-2014, 01:41 PM
miniuser
1st Gear
again - interesting - we bought this used with 19k a in 07/08? no vapor barrier on panel at all - I was thinking about dynamat since I have it open and I can install vapor barrier as well.
I do not know ECS but can certainly look on the search engine...
thanks

Old 09-21-2014, 01:44 PM
Drivehard
4th Gear
again - interesting - we bought this used with 19k a in 07/08? no vapor barrier on panel at all - I was thinking about dynamat since I have it open and I can install vapor barrier as well. I do not know ECS but can certainly look on the search engine... thanks
Your right about vapor barrier. Car only has a piece of sound insulation and not a full sheet. My bad I was doing it from memory. I do recall that the door panel clips have rubber washers on them. Don't loose those.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:45 PM
Drivehard
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Drivehard
Your right about vapor barrier. Car only has a piece of sound insulation and not a full sheet. My bad I was doing it from memory. I do recall that the door panel clips have rubber washers on them. Don't loose those. Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring
And your welcome.