R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 2006 r53 mcs

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 08:27 AM
cannovmj
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 r53 mcs

So I am picking up my R53 tomorrow and am so excited!(Pictures to come)!!
It is astroblack with white stripes on the bonnet and 70K miles.

With that being said, the mod-bug has already bitten me...While I dont have $10k to throw at the car today, I do have a decent budget to work with.

As far as first things on my mind, I am hoping to do this before the winter (as I live in Buffalo NY)

1.) cold air intake (not sure if I want to go Alta or Dinan)

2.) Pulley reduction (I do not plan to track the car, but am a spirited driver, so not sure if I want to do 15% or 17%? from what I have read, 19% is just unnecessary and carries a risk of belt damage. Also I have heard cost of getting this done is $160-200?)

After doing these light mods, I am debating what to do next...Not sure if I want to upgrade the intercooler(forge) or exhaust (Borla aggressive)..My concern with doing the exhaust now, is subjecting it to a Buffalo winter.

Finally, I know that the best torque/hp upgrades are a new cam and header.. problem is I am unsure of the costs to have this done? From light research I have found that both parts cost anywhere from $500-1000 each?

thanks and ill be sure to post pics tomorrow!!!

Old 09-15-2014, 09:15 AM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Congrats on the r53, I'm also from the buffalo area. Buffalo winters are actually a good reason to change your exhaust, as the stock systems tend to fall apart.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:40 AM
cannovmj
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by bavmotors
Congrats on the r53, I'm also from the buffalo area. Buffalo winters are actually a good reason to change your exhaust, as the stock systems tend to fall apart.
See I was worried that I would spend the $800 or the borla exhaust, then have it rust on me because of the winter. Though I am going to get the delta sonic unlimited car wash deal. Where in buffalo are you? Have you done the pulley replacement yourself?

Old 09-15-2014, 09:53 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Before you get your heart set on any specific part...check availability....
I like my dininan intake....but they went out of production a few years ago...so used might be your only option there...but very diffent sound than the Alta/Alta clone style units...
Borla exaust....some like the sound on a mini...but can be a bit fartish/ricy...listen to one first...check for highway drone too....warrenty is useless...trust me.
Stock exaust is stainless...it gets ugly...and the cans on the back have MILD STEEL heat shields that rust and fall off...but the actual muffler and resonator ARE stainless, as are the pipes...
Tip...the single sided ones tend to buzz and drone at highway speed...
For about $100+ you can get a duel muffler/two sided one that makes sound when you foot gets into it...but is quiet on a longer drive...still lots of choices...depends on your $$.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:01 AM
cannovmj
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
Before you get your heart set on any specific part...check availability....
I like my dininan intake....but they went out of production a few years ago...so used might be your only option there...but very diffent sound than the Alta/Alta clone style units...
Borla exaust....some like the sound on a mini...but can be a bit fartish/ricy...listen to one first...check for highway drone too....warrenty is useless...trust me.
Stock exaust is stainless...it gets ugly...and the cans on the back have MILD STEEL heat shields that rust and fall off...but the actual muffler and resonator ARE stainless, as are the pipes...
Tip...the single sided ones tend to buzz and drone at highway speed...
For about $100+ you can get a duel muffler/two sided one that makes sound when you foot gets into it...but is quiet on a longer drive...still lots of choices...depends on your $$.
Yea wouldnt be completely against used CAI, but do like the sound of the Alta. And I have listened to a lot of the borla exhaust clips on youtube, and have liked the sound. It is a duel muffler exhaust, but like i said ijust dont want to have to worry about rust.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:02 PM
cannovmj
2nd Gear
I also forgot to ask, after which mods is a tune absolutely necessary? I intend on getting a tune following CAI, exhaust, intercooler, and pulley reduction, but would prefer to wait to get it until I have completed all of those

Old 09-15-2014, 12:17 PM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by cannovmj
I also forgot to ask, after which mods is a tune absolutely necessary? I intend on getting a tune following CAI, exhaust, intercooler, and pulley reduction, but would prefer to wait to get it until I have completed all of those
You don't really need a tune after the mods you've listed. If you add a cam and larger fuel injectors then you'll need a tune.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:24 PM
cannovmj
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MINIAC
You don't really need a tune after the mods you've listed. If you add a cam and larger fuel injectors then you'll need a tune.
OK awesome, thanks for the info. Would a tune be of any benefit one those mods are all in place?

Old 09-15-2014, 12:35 PM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Power is nice & an intake, exhaust & pulley (15% if you track it) will make it move nicely. An intercooler won't make you power, it will help you keep what you have on a hot day.

Before I'd spend a bunch on engine mods I'd tighten up the suspension. Handling is what these little cars are about.

Once you add your engine mods a tune will help you get the most out of what you have. If you tune & then add more parts you'll be tuning it again. Wait till you are done for your tune. I'd recommend RMW.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:41 PM
cannovmj
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ashchuckton
Power is nice & an intake, exhaust & pulley (15% if you track it) will make it move nicely. An intercooler won't make you power, it will help you keep what you have on a hot day.

Before I'd spend a bunch on engine mods I'd tighten up the suspension. Handling is what these little cars are about.

Once you add your engine mods a tune will help you get the most out of what you have. If you tune & then add more parts you'll be tuning it again. Wait till you are done for your tune. I'd recommend RMW.
Yea every thing I have recommends RMW, just not sure where I would go to get it done.

I won't ever track the car, more NY daily driver, which is why I planned on doing all of the power increase, then suspension and sway bars in the summer. So if I'm not tracking, does that make an upgraded intercooler less worth it? And also should I go for the 17% or 19% pulley? Finally is a can really worth the investment? Once again new to mini s so I am not familiar yet. Thanks again!

Old 09-15-2014, 12:54 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Save your $$ on a gen1 intercooler....it is way down the list....$$ for performance... It is after a BIG VALVE HEAD (BVH) in my rough guess on cost per HP....
if you have 93 octane a 17% pulley is great for a daily driver, especially in a generally cooler area......if you live in a HOT area, and only have 90-91 octane...my gut has always felt 15% was a better choice......
Tune is not needed with a pulley, intake, and exhaust....
But it WILL add HP, tq, and the tuner can adjust some other items like DSC...
But I suggest you get to know your car....see if it has a pulley or a sway bar...maybe needs struts or strut tower work....
Heck...you may find the brakes were done with cheap parts, and need to freshen it a bit....
So I suggest you drive it for a few days...and choose!!
Lots of fun!!

Old 09-15-2014, 12:59 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
One more thought....
A CAM tends to let the car make more power at higher rpms...like most mods...you must choose carefully to make the car perform the way you want, and not kill the in town performance...
Folks have made mini's into race cars...great at 6500 rpm...but sucks at 3200rpm in town....
The cams are typically sold in "street", aka more midrange, and race, more top end.....

Old 09-15-2014, 01:57 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
See I was worried that I would spend the $800 or the borla exhaust, then have it rust on me because of the winter. Though I am going to get the delta sonic unlimited car wash deal. Where in buffalo are you? Have you done the pulley replacement yourself?
I'm about 15 mins from east aurora in the country. I did the pulley myself yes, with the help of a friend. It's not too bad, pretty straightforward.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:10 PM
cannovmj
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by bavmotors
I'm about 15 mins from east aurora in the country. I did the pulley myself yes, with the help of a friend. It's not too bad, pretty straightforward.
Oh ok, Im out in east aurora a bunch. I want to attempt to do the pulley myself but just worried I wont have all of the tools or the time to actually finish it hah. ill decide once i order the pulley

Old 09-15-2014, 02:49 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
No special tools really, just the pulley puller, torque wrench with inch lbs and a belt remover. I think it can be done without the belt tool.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:08 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
welcome to the crowd and the mod bug. my magnaflow has seen 2 winters, and has no rust, im here in NH, granted you guys get more snow than us! i love my alta CAI for the noise. they are easy to get, and theres a few on the marketplace right now for cheaper than buying new. first mod you should get is some snow tires, best thing ever! then CAI, exhaust and pulley. i havent stepped into the cam world yet, only because i havent had the time to work on my car. otherwise im waiting to tell thumper for the whole bundle. a tune isnt completly nessecary immediatly and not worth it till you get larger injectors, i already have these parts in my living room haha. just do your research when it comes to CAMs and BVH's if you get to that point. same with injectors

Old 09-16-2014, 07:12 AM
cannovmj
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Saltysalt
welcome to the crowd and the mod bug. my magnaflow has seen 2 winters, and has no rust, im here in NH, granted you guys get more snow than us! i love my alta CAI for the noise. they are easy to get, and theres a few on the marketplace right now for cheaper than buying new. first mod you should get is some snow tires, best thing ever! then CAI, exhaust and pulley. i havent stepped into the cam world yet, only because i havent had the time to work on my car. otherwise im waiting to tell thumper for the whole bundle. a tune isnt completly nessecary immediatly and not worth it till you get larger injectors, i already have these parts in my living room haha. just do your research when it comes to CAMs and BVH's if you get to that point. same with injectors
Awesome! Thanks for the response. Yea, I'm getting snow tires in the beginning of November then new wheels and tires in the spring time. And Yea I have been keeping my eye on the marketplace trying to find a Alta cai for the r53. And okkk, so no rust problems then huh? I might have to do the exhaust sooner than expected but yea those are all the things I want to do sooner than later, assuming I have time lol

Pics to come tonight!!!

Old 09-16-2014, 09:57 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
no rust yet, eventually itll have to give to the new england salt! although it has that nice petine of brown from the heat =)

Old 09-16-2014, 11:24 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
So I am picking up my R53 tomorrow and am so excited!(Pictures to come)!!
It is astroblack with white stripes on the bonnet and 70K miles.
Well purchased: still the best MINI year available.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:52 PM
cannovmj
2nd Gear
Mini has been purchased, pictures to come!!!!

Old 09-16-2014, 04:55 PM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
Welcome to the MINIacs... I see the bug has not only bitten you, but jump on your back and is doing a little dance.

Motor on!

Old 09-16-2014, 04:58 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Mini has been purchased, pictures to come!!!!
Look forward to possibly seeing it on the road.

Old 09-18-2014, 03:37 AM
fastzombie
4th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
I live in northern maine and I would imagine Buffalo roads are not the smoothest, so I would recommend a set of strut tower defenders.

For exhausts I use the Stratmosphere from Way Motor Works and really like the sound. Fitment was super and is dynamite.

Welcome to the modding club.