R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Bushing Compare

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 08:08 AM
Discostu3169
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bushing Compare

I will be getting my '05 into service mode soon(if this job ever ends), and figured I would replace most if not all my bushings while installing my new clutch/flywheel. I know the go to choice is Powerflex but I was wondering if anyone has used the Madness poly bushings? They have a nice little package deal that would work for me. It's not game breaking in price difference so it would only be worth it if I can find some reviews from somewhere other than their website.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:26 PM
mrbean
5th Gear
Received 151 Likes on 116 Posts
I have Powerflex front CABs and love them. I guess one advantage of the Madness bushings is that you can get them pre-installed in the brackets (assuming you don't have a press, this is convenient). That being said, they're still more expensive than Powerflex (assuming you don't get them with brackets and you don't get a special discount).

FWIW, the Powerflex have a lifetime warranty. Unless I'm mistaken, the Madness don't.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:30 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 756 Likes on 618 Posts
go with the powerflex. If not because they are the best, do it for principal. As the madness were copied from the old version of the powerflex. A few years ago powerflex slightly changed the outer part of the busing to give it better support, plus we know the quality of the powerflex will hold up and durometer of the poly is dead on what is needed. I've installed hundreds of sets and never had one issue, or even had to regrease a set. Oh and like said above lifetime warranty.

And if your looking for a package we have that too.
http://www.waymotorworks.com/powerfl...ll-joints.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 08-28-2014, 02:02 PM
kevin_jowett
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Powerflex was the answer when I asked too. I didn't realize the Madness ones were knock offs... that stuff bugs me. Can't wait to feel the difference this kit makes!

Old 08-31-2014, 06:36 AM
fastzombie
4th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
I have been reluctant to switch from OEM rubber bushings. I use my car for daily driving and the roads here in Northern Maine are pretty brutal. I have read and heard from others that stiffer bushings, while improving the handling exceptionally, also increase the stiffness and harshness of the ride.

Any feedback?

Old 08-31-2014, 07:41 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Have the powerflex lower control arm bushings in southern NH.....
Change is VERY subtile.....I think I have seen a bigger change due to tire BRAND...
I think the only time I would have KNOWN it was different was the ride home....
Even on the groved portions of 93 in mass (yes they ground it down in the spring....and the paving has just begun 3+ months later....mass is so slow... ) the ride is fine.....if I recall right it is really only the "groved" surface that were waiting repaving that got appreciably louder....but shortly after the bushings, I kind koni fsd's for struts/shocks....that made a huge change ride wise...akin to runflats to regular tires again...night and day...
Tire choice makes a MUCH bigger difference in the viabrations felt than the bushings...

Old 08-31-2014, 08:55 AM
Madgepetto
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
+1 for Powerflex and Koni FSD

Did the whole shebang a month ago, Powerflex bushings on the LCA's and the trailing arms, Koni FSD shocks all the way around and new strut mounts, bump stops, all of it.New Yokohama S-Drive tires too.

I too was concerned about the LCA bushings making for a harsher ride but other than better turn in I can't tell much difference in NVH or road noise.
The overall comfort level of the car ( 2005 R53 ) is just much better and having really looked at the OEM bushings, I think the Powerflex will last 2 or 3 times as long.

I think you will be pleased with them.

Mad Gepetto