Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Vibrations at 2000 rpm

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 06:15 PM
dlbrtj6
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vibrations at 2000 rpm

Good evening all, first time writing on the forum, however, learned a lot over the past few months from reading others. I have a 2002 MCS and have a vibration when the rpm's hit around 2300. It is strong enough that when you look in the rear mirror, you can't make out the car behind you. I have already changed out the engine mounts and transmission mount. What other suggestions do you all have? I would love to resolve this instead of going to the dealer. Thank you all.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:44 PM
DesertDog
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you check your crank pulley?

Old 08-26-2014, 07:59 PM
dlbrtj6
Neutral
No, I haven't looked at that. The dealer said that if that was bad, it would make a rattle noise and I would probably smell rubber. I was looking at the exhaust brackets today, but, can't really tell if they are bad. They look good. When I supported the engine to install the new transmission mount, could something have broken that could now be causing the vibration?

Old 08-31-2014, 06:44 AM
fastzombie
4th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
I am going to replace my crank pulley with an ATI Crank Pulley from Way Motor Works. I have heard and read that the stock pulley can begin to have the interior rubber come apart that leads to increased vibration especially under load. My car picked up a shudder at certain rev ranges when accelerating under load. With the shudder under load also a smell of toasting rubber.

My mechanic I work with feels it is also the crank pulley. He doesn't want to pull it to check as he says normally when they come apart they are in pieces. So, I'm putting in a new crank pulley.

I just put in a new belt tensioner and belt and I feel that is why I'm now picking up the vibration more. The old belt tensioner assembly was pretty shot.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:48 AM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by fastzombie
I am going to replace my crank pulley with an ATI Crank Pulley from Way Motor Works. I have heard and read that the stock pulley can begin to have the interior rubber come apart that leads to increased vibration especially under load. My car picked up a shudder at certain rev ranges when accelerating under load. With the shudder under load also a smell of toasting rubber. My mechanic I work with feels it is also the crank pulley. He doesn't want to pull it to check as he says normally when they come apart they are in pieces. So, I'm putting in a new crank pulley. I just put in a new belt tensioner and belt and I feel that is why I'm now picking up the vibration more. The old belt tensioner assembly was pretty shot.
Definitely sounds like the crank pulley

Old 08-31-2014, 10:35 PM
Rusty8062
2nd Gear
I also have the same vibration around 2-3000 rpms then it goes away. I've been told replacing crank pulleys with aftermarket ones will cause engine failure over time and to just replace it with a new oem stock crank pulley. Anyone have some input on this? Looking to replace mine soon as well as the dampener.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:06 AM
fastzombie
4th Gear
I believe it is safe to replace the OEM unit with a dampened crank pulley that combats the inherent vibrations from the crank assembly and engine. You do not want to replace the OEM with a solid lightweight pulley.

Way can add his thoughts and observations on this topic.

The ATI unit I am putting in is much better engineered than the OEM unit and is fully dampened.

I hope that helps.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:10 AM
Rusty8062
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by fastzombie
I believe it is safe to replace the OEM unit with a dampened crank pulley that combats the inherent vibrations from the crank assembly and engine. You do not want to replace the OEM with a solid lightweight pulley. Way can add his thoughts and observations on this topic. The ATI unit I am putting in is much better engineered than the OEM unit and is fully dampened. I hope that helps.
Yeah I was looking to getting the ATI one aswell...would still like to hear some more input on this topic though.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:05 AM
fastzombie
4th Gear
Way Motor Works has great feedback on this subject. He can provide info on the cars he has worked on that have light weight non dampened crank pulleys.

You may want to search on the forum fro crank pulley.

Good luck with your search.

I have an ATI ordered from Way and will be installing soon. Dampened is the way to go. The ATI is a wonderful bit of engineering.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:21 PM
jamfred774
1st Gear
Not to steal your thread but I am having the same issues. 2-2400 rpm and you cannot see anything out of the rearview mirror. I purchased and installed the ATI balancer and it didnt see to help any...