R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Superchargers Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 08:13 AM
Zenoches
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Superchargers Thoughts

Hello All,

I will start with the obligatory message of please just don't post "Use the search function" I have done hours of research on this question including the search function but am looking for actual imput.

I bought my 04 R53 65k Mles about a month ago. A Couple days after I started driving it I noticed a nasty rattling sound. So I started doing research. I replaced the Timing Chain Tensioner, and Idler pulley. The noise is of course coming from right below the intercooler. So I decided to check the passenger side drain plug for the supercharge and low an behold no fluid whatsoever. So after all this I have concluded that the supercharge is on it's way out. It sounds like a blend of a diesel motor and a plastic bucket of screws and nails being rotated.

So here is where I am looking for feedback.

I have been very torn on my options
1. Buy a used supercharger from a Salvage yard. Runs about $300-450.00
Pros
  • This is the cheapest option
  • I will have an extra supercharger around as a core for the future
Cons
  • it's a gamble. The supercharger I buy could also be bad or have blown seals
  • Could just lead to me getting it rebuilt and spending even more money
2. Have my supercharger rebuilt- between $650.00-900.00
Pros
  • I know the supercharger is good
  • Everything is shiny and newish
Cons
  • More pricey
  • Down time without the car
  • Seems to be a lot of bad reports about the rebuilders
What I am looking for:
Your thoughts on the two options?
Your experience with Supercharger Rebuilds and cost?
If there is any other options I am not aware of like( Wow i have a stash of fours NIB chargers I will sell for reasonable)?

I plan on replacing it myself along with the other basic list og things to replace while in service mode

Thanks

Old 08-15-2014, 08:36 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
there are some good rebuilders, waymotorworks i belive rebuilds them very nicly, theres also a shop in forida that supposedly very good, but it does sound like your PTO gears are done for, theres also another option, delete the PTO gears and get an electric water pump,

pros: SC will last longer, more power!, cheaper?
cons: more down time, youll have basically a custom setup, and you need an electric water pump

Old 08-15-2014, 08:47 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
One more option...
Some rebuilders do offer exchange options....so they ship you a unit...you install it..ship the old unit back in the box...

My gamble...
About 5-6 YEARS ago I bought a 8000 mile sc off a wrecked cabrio for about $600 (if I recall right)..such low mile wrecks are now unheard of due to the age of the cars....but a run out core seems to have a value of about $350-500, so risks are pretty small....
Since my sc has shown itself to be more durable that I thought...the extra sits waiting its turn...
But if I had to do it again, the two routes I would be most keen on would be
1- exchange unit with waymotorworks.... He has dealt with different rebuilders...found a good one...and I trust them...
2- have my unit rebuilt by stegimier...they are an Eaton authorized rebuilders and do many sc types for many cars...so not just a guy in a garage on eBay...and the price is known...no extra calls adding extra fees (have heard a story or two about autoxcooper.com).....simply have not heard anything bad about stergimer....they know superchargers, and are loved by motor heads..nuff said.

Last edited by ZippyNH; 08-15-2014 at 08:52 AM.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:01 AM
Harkness
1st Gear
Another option, kind of. Buy the used super charger send it out to be rebuilt, while that's being done you can think about what SaltySalt said about deleting the PTO gears. When you get the rebuilt SC back, you can send yours out to have it redone. That way you will have a fresh one waiting just in case.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:34 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
...and not one of these guys, outstanding suggestions all, offered an 'atta boy' for doing a thorough search before asking for help. Good on ya!

Old 08-15-2014, 01:10 PM
DaveCooper
1st Gear
+1 for what he said...

Originally Posted by ZippyNH
One more option...
Some rebuilders do offer exchange options....so they ship you a unit...you install it..ship the old unit back in the box...

My gamble...
About 5-6 YEARS ago I bought a 8000 mile sc off a wrecked cabrio for about $600 (if I recall right)..such low mile wrecks are now unheard of due to the age of the cars....but a run out core seems to have a value of about $350-500, so risks are pretty small....
Since my sc has shown itself to be more durable that I thought...the extra sits waiting its turn...
But if I had to do it again, the two routes I would be most keen on would be
1- exchange unit with waymotorworks.... He has dealt with different rebuilders...found a good one...and I trust them...
2- have my unit rebuilt by stegimier...they are an Eaton authorized rebuilders and do many sc types for many cars...so not just a guy in a garage on eBay...and the price is known...no extra calls adding extra fees (have heard a story or two about autoxcooper.com).....simply have not heard anything bad about stergimer....they know superchargers, and are loved by motor heads..nuff said.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:21 PM
Zenoches
2nd Gear
I just Called Stiegemeier Looks like $795.00 And a few days turn around time. UGH! Or $895.00 If I want it ported.

Soooo a little pricey and the turn around time stinks. Not on their side. But I am saying Shipping it there a couple days, A few days turn around time, then a couple days shipped back, then a day to reinstall. That is a Week with no ride. Not so Good for me

But they seem very knowledgable. SO still might use them

My Search pulls up three different places in Florida so I don't know which one to check with.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:30 PM
Nicefeet
5th Gear
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
This is one of those repairs where it should not really be a price point purchase.

The job is to huge of a PITA to have to rinse and repeat if it don't work out.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:59 PM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another option is a brand new Sprintex supercharger. Whole shebang is $3,195.00

http://www.sprintex.com.au/superchar...mini-cooper-s/

Old 08-15-2014, 02:06 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Zenoches

My Search pulls up three different places in Florida so I don't know which one to check with.
The one in "old town" fl does 99% of their work on eBay....
Low prices...low quality... Long warrenty...you might go through 2 or 3 before you give up and buy one elsewhere....a few threads like that...they sell exchange units for $500-650...so lots of risk...every time you swap the sc, it takes about 5 hours of labor for a pro and about $50 in gaskets....
A few shops tried using them...and "ate" too much labor on failures....they simply use too many shortcuts IMO.
A supercharged swap is about $1500-1800 for an OEM part..plus labor and gaskets...
So $800 sounds kinda cheap to me for a GOOD unit that is better than new in some ways...
Next option...more $$..an exchange unit with waymotorworks.com......more $$$ less down time. http://www.waymotorworks.com/r53-r52...ercharger.html
Read what they say about the 5 places they have tried....before they found a good rebuilders...

Old 08-16-2014, 09:18 PM
Shawnnn
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had steigmeier rebuild mine.

Turnaround was two days like they said it would be.

Had it done in May so cant comment on longevity but it doesnt grind anymore lol

I ended up spending around $1150 after buying a belt and hoses and a few other small things.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:32 AM
Domiracer
1st Gear
Pending the mileage on your charger and your sense of adventure, another option is to tear down the your current unit, check shaft diameter and surface finish (seal contact area), PTO gears, replace the seal and reassemble. I have personally torn into 4 of these units and not found anything but the rear driven rotor shaft seal to be bad. The front half of these units are well designed for the likes of a stock cooper.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:32 PM
Zenoches
2nd Gear
SOoooooooo I went with option 3!!!

Found one new in Box on Ebay I got for $1075.00. Gen 2 Black Vane Supercharger. A little more pricey, but has no miles or rebuilds. I figure with my old supercharger I will have it rebuilt for the future or sell it. Plus it is local to me and I can inspect it before purchasing it.

Now for Stage 2 of my request for input.

Obviously while I have the car in service mode I should change and replacement a few things. Here is my list so far. Please help advise me what else I should change while in there?

WaterPump
Thermostat
Thermostat O-ring
Supercharger Inlet Gasket
Supercharger Outlet Gasket
Coolant Flush
Valve Cover Gasket
Crank Postion O-ring
Idler Pulley

Here is the Questionable ones:
Belt tensioer
Thermostat Housing

My other thought as the supercharger is out. Should I...
Alta 15% SC Pulley
New Belt
Colder Plugs
And the Tensioner stop thing for $20.00

Is this a good time, or should I just worry about it later???

Thank you for your input

Old 08-18-2014, 12:39 PM
Grizld700
6th Gear
There is another thread that is still active with similar questions if you take a look...

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...to-change.html

Old 08-18-2014, 12:47 PM
Zenoches
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Grizld700
There is another thread that is still active with similar questions if you take a look...

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...to-change.html
I sure did. Thats where I got the list above. But I figure more exposure = More input.

As I said in my OP that I have used the search function. Sorry, Don't mean to sound like a ***** but it was purposely built. In addition I plan on Putting the list in mine with all the Part#'s and the costs for others to view. Plus my post was originally about sourcing a SC that has morphed into what is needed now. Plus is it the right time for a SC pulley?

But thanks for the heads up

Old 08-18-2014, 12:51 PM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Never mentioned search, so we can drop that and focus on whats important, the car!

SC Pulley? It's always a good time for a pulley! Unless you're not confident in the engine, then don't.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:59 PM
Zenoches
2nd Gear
Sorry, Left over pet peeve from trolling other forums. Cleary I have some pent up Defensiveness from When people just jump in with the ole' "Use the search" Message. I will seek help(one day) hahahahaha

I guess I am just trying to talk myself into it. I mean I should change the serpentine belt anyway? I just 200 miles ago spent $40.00 and changed the stock spark plugs. UGH should have waited. Do I still need the special pulley tool if the supercharger is off the motor? I never could tell if the tool was designed for the purpose of gettign the pulley off in confined space. Or is it the only fundtional way of pullling the pulley?

Old 08-18-2014, 01:04 PM
Grizld700
6th Gear
No problems in reference to your search woes. A friend of mine gave up on the EVO forums because of the same issues. It's especially hard when the forums are 12 years old and there are thousands of threads.

I'd get the puller. It's not worth risking damage to the turbine shaft and hosing your new Gen2 Blower.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:34 PM
Zenoches
2nd Gear
This is going to be expensive....UGH....HAHAHA

Old 08-18-2014, 04:02 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
This is going to be expensive....UGH....HAHAHA
Wow....that is $$$ for a used unit (remember...used parts are worth only so much more than a core)...then add the other stuff...ouch...edit...use you said new gen2??? Kinda odd...the m45 used on the mini was several gens advanced from there....guessing seller does not know what they have..
Hope the used unit has only 10,000 miles or so...cause 1000+$ for a is d one is pricey.....
Your $$, your choice...
As for the list....gaskets are needed, and IMO the water pump should be done...other stuff, "while you are at it" could be anything....look at stuff, and go from there...some cars will need it all...some NONE, depending on miles, climate, prior work....
I would toss a new belt..heck $20 from the local auto parts place, and take a close look at the intercooler boots....they are rubber...they harder, shrink, tear and leak as they age...if not soft and pliable.... Swap them out.

Last edited by ZippyNH; 08-18-2014 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:05 PM
Zenoches
2nd Gear
It's a brand new in crate supercharger not used. I splurged a little

Old 08-18-2014, 04:13 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
One tip...
The black rotors on the OEM coated sc almost feel rubbery...not really painted like on rebuilds...
Also a sticker on the sc will give you the production date.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:23 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
It's a brand new in crate supercharger not used. I splurged a little
yeah...lol..saw that on my reread! Lol..should be good...
If you do a 15% you WILL need the shorter belt...
If the sc is out of the car...cutting it off might be doable....one tip..check to ensure the pulley is a stock (not JCW) one on the sc...the stock pulley is larger...and the puller will bend and bread, not remove a JCW which is usually cut off....
For a higher rpm driver, a JCW pulley is IMO the sweat spot....but my driving style meant a 17% was better for Me..more lower end tq in exchange for less top due to heat.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:46 PM
Harkness
1st Gear
as long as your doing other service to the car, check this out, http://imperialmini.com/ they make a oil recharge system for the super chargers.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:11 PM
minsanity
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Add the ATI super damper while you're in there.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Superchargers Thoughts