R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 R53 Supercharger Apart, what else to change?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 04:52 AM
tragedybysyntax
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
curious about the tune as well though I live in ohio and wouldn't know where to take it...

so what about the condition of that motor mount? ^^^^

Old 08-13-2014, 08:00 AM
RogueMini
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by miles_miles7
Nice to know and thanks.
BTW, which tuning software did your tuner used?

RMW did the tune. I have no idea what the interface software is he uses.

Last edited by RogueMini; 08-18-2014 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:47 AM
tragedybysyntax
3rd Gear
can someone eye that motor mount i posted pics of? Should I replace?

Old 08-13-2014, 10:36 AM
miles_miles7
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tragedybysyntax
can someone eye that motor mount i posted pics of? Should I replace?
^^^^^^, Really?
Its obvious the mount failed just by looking at it, and even if it did not fail it will fail soon due to cracking. Get OEM replacement.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:36 PM
tragedybysyntax
3rd Gear
Okay! New mount comes in tomorrow...
last dumb question of the day, picked up an o ring for the water pump flange... can I put a lil dab of oil on it to seat it or do I HAVE TO USE silicone grease? thanks!

Old 08-13-2014, 05:18 PM
miles_miles7
5th Gear
OMG.
I dare you to think for yourself on what needs to be done here, you might surprise yourself.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:41 PM
tragedybysyntax
3rd Gear
lol.... have no idea, I know
it's just to seal against the flange but I'm not a mechanic man! just dangerous enough!

Old 08-13-2014, 06:46 PM
tragedybysyntax
3rd Gear
btw, I modified the bypass valve to close nicely and stretched the spring out a bit tonight.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:48 PM
RogueMini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by tragedybysyntax
Okay! New mount comes in tomorrow...
last dumb question of the day, picked up an o ring for the water pump flange... can I put a lil dab of oil on it to seat it or do I HAVE TO USE silicone grease? thanks!
A little motor oil will work fine

Old 08-18-2014, 08:32 AM
tragedybysyntax
3rd Gear
Okay so i kicked butt on the car this weekend. Replaced hoses, thermostat, a few gaskets, crank position sensor o ring... lowered the motor back down onto the new motor mount and got everything re torqued. I go to install the rebuilt supercharger finally from WMW and i'm immediately saddened. One of the mounting holes was previously broke off so they welded it and painted over it, then opposite mounting hole the thread is messed up and needs to be retapped (for some reason my tap set doesnt have the 1/4 -20 that's required) so i have to go buy a tap set as well. This kind of seems shady in my eyes being that i spend 1200$ for something that I wasnt aware of being structurally inferior to what I sent them for a core. Maybe this is normal? I dunno.. .just waiting to hear back about what to do about this. Picking up another bushing that was cracked to hell this afternoon so at least i can do that tonight and clean out the inside of the car
The other bushing that was split was the upper engine mount bushing assembly that sits back close to the firewall and attaches to the top of the upper motor mount. I guess the silver lining in alllllllll of these parts i'm replacing is that the car will hopefully be fast and dependable for a long time after i get her goin!

Old 08-19-2014, 01:09 PM
tragedybysyntax
3rd Gear
I mean.. you guys would be p'vd as well if a company sent you back a rebuilt SC with a previously broken mount and another hole that's stripped out and needs re tapped right?
The casing i sent them for the core charge was fine and had no problems..... :/
Not talking a couple hundred bucks here... we're talking 1200$

Old 08-19-2014, 01:19 PM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would be making calls.

Old 08-19-2014, 06:26 PM
RogueMini
3rd Gear
Me too

Old 08-20-2014, 07:21 AM
tragedybysyntax
3rd Gear
Waylen said basically "people ship the cores to us like crap so we weld them to reuse them" and then told me to try oil on the threads of that screw and sometimes it isnt machined with the thread. So i did all of that and even went and bought a tap...re tapped it... still wont tighten because somewhere inside i guess someone over torqued it and stripped out a thread. SO, i'm now hunting down a m8x1.25 x 85 or 90 mm bolt (a little longer) hoping I can get it to bite PAST the messed up thread.

Another question for you guys... i notice that the coating on the end of the tumblers is peeling away on this rebuilt one. A. is that normal. B. Should I let it go and C. whats the chance that the insides are the one I sent them vs this entire thing was pulled off a shelf?

Thanks guys...... stressed :/

Old 08-20-2014, 10:33 AM
tragedybysyntax
3rd Gear
nevermind... have to send it back anyway because I can't tighten the one screw for the water pump. threads are fd. AGHHHHHHHHH!!!! what a pita

Old 08-20-2014, 09:42 PM
jhiggs26
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah that sucks that they worked over such a poor core. The owner of that core should have paid core charge and that core should have been recycled by Way's rebuilder.

Jeremy

Old 08-21-2014, 05:26 AM
tragedybysyntax
3rd Gear
Welp in my last wave of desperation, $1.55 Mr. Grip saved the day. I was able to cut a few pieces and tweeze into the back of the thread, and get a bolt to go thru the waterpump and catch. Tightened up okay so i decided that was good enough.

Yes...I'm NOT happy about the way WMW handled this. Never an apology, i emailed them probably 5 times and never once a response. The one day that i finally got thru to talk to Waylen, the lady who answers seemed quite annoyed that i kept calling trying to get an answer about what to do with this $1200 boat anchor.

Will never again buy from that place.... what a joke. I'll have to find a new source for all my parts. Anyway, got the S/C back on last night and the alternator / water pump lines.

Does anyone know the torque settings for the bolts that mount the s/c to the block? If not I guess i'm on the hunt for a service manual today because that's the one torque setting i cant find online

Old 08-21-2014, 09:56 AM
tragedybysyntax
3rd Gear
crap... also realized they didnt send it with the red vacuum line washer. Dammit.. now i have to find one local so i can put the car back together the rest of the way

Old 08-21-2014, 10:01 AM
jhiggs26
6th Gear
M8 bolts through snout flange are 18 ft-lbs and M10 bolts through body are 33 ft-lbs. Water pump bolts to end plate of supercharger are 22 ft-lbs.

Did you send your red clip with your core? Way has aftermarket version of them now too.

http://www.waymotorworks.com/superch...p-r52-r53.html

Jeremy

Old 08-21-2014, 12:27 PM
tragedybysyntax
3rd Gear
M10 bolts through body... or through motor block? The ones that run through the supercharger and into the block itself are the ones i'm looking for.

I didnt see anywhere on WMW site when i ordered my rebuild about keeping the red guide washers for the vacuum line. He's sending them back so that's a few more days I can't work on the car. Guess I'll vacuum it out and wax it while i wait. Suppose I can put the belt back on as well

Old 08-22-2014, 08:44 AM
miles_miles7
5th Gear
Last I read this thread you are going to return the rebuild (good move), not sure how bad your issues with the superchargers (no pictures posted), but hope the delamination coating doesn't get worst. I would have returned that in a heartbeat. $1200????, no doubt it's on FedEx the following day.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:34 PM
tragedybysyntax
3rd Gear
Okay well update is i've got the supercharger bolted in, alternator hooked back up, vacuum lines getting hooked up tonight. While i was waiting on that red clip to come back off my old s/c... i decided to take off the intake manifold and inspect the injectors. O rings were all dryed up and cracked so I replaced the o rings on the injectors as well.

Is there anything special I should do with seating the injectors with the new o-rings? or anything special hooking back up the fuel rail? Thanks guys! She should be taking shape tonight as I just picked up a manifold gasket as well

Old 08-28-2014, 05:34 AM
tragedybysyntax
3rd Gear
I should rename this thread the trials and tribulations of working on your 11 year old mini. Ugh... so I got the red clip back from way, push it in and 2/4 little feet break off. And to boot I noticed that the vacuum line won't fit
into the hole on the supercharger anyway. The hell is that?! Possible that over time the tube swelled and that's why I can't get it in the hole? I'm close to pushing the car off a hill by my house and claiming insurance I'm so frustrated :/

Old 08-28-2014, 06:25 AM
Zenoches
2nd Gear
You are making me really nervous about my doing this job in a couple weeks. All my parts have been ordered.

But Man I am sorry about your luck this sucks. Hopefully it will get better

Old 08-28-2014, 07:54 AM
tragedybysyntax
3rd Gear
well... it's frustrating I'm going to tell you now. I didn't just do the s/c though... I've been replacing all kinds of worn out junk parts as well. I'm bummed about this fkn vacuum line because I can't get it in the s/c hole with or without the red clip. clips broke... I get it... I have to now spend 30$ on a new one and wait a week again to get it but it won't go in the hole. so I dunno if the tube has swollen and I can just sand it down a hair to get it to go in or of the holes is botched like the thread was and I have to take everything apart and send the supercharger back. <--- pissed and tired of working on this car

Quick Reply: R50/53 R53 Supercharger Apart, what else to change?