Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Lightweight Mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 06:29 AM
minsanity
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
And post those progress pics!!!!!!

Old 05-30-2014, 07:43 AM
CoolioMcPimp
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can do that! I'm probably not doing the bushing myself, but the braces and tower defenders I can do as well as Fogs, Reverse Lights, and the RIMs. Matter of fact I should probably post some OEM pics as well!

Old 05-30-2014, 10:05 AM
CoolioMcPimp
2nd Gear
OEM Pics

Originally Posted by CoolioMcPimp
I can do that! I'm probably not doing the bushing myself, but the braces and tower defenders I can do as well as Fogs, Reverse Lights, and the RIMs. Matter of fact I should probably post some OEM pics as well!
Here's some OEM pics. No inside pics yet. I have shared them to anyone with the link with Google Drive.

Last edited by CoolioMcPimp; 03-30-2021 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Removed Link. No longer own car.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:02 AM
CoolioMcPimp
2nd Gear
Random Update

Probably not getting rims. Mostly because the stock ones look pretty good and I won't be driving it during the winter.

No other mods yet. Maybe some winter projects. Started looking at the ECS Aux input kit for my stereo. I'm so sick of using an FM Transmitter and the 3 cables that come from it.

I got new front brakes I got Wearever ceramic brakes from Advanced Auto for like $15 for a set. I also had to get E-brake cables done (Not sure if I mentioned that.)

I also bought a red two hook for the front, but seeing how everybody makes fun about leaving a tow hook in all the time it's probably coming off.

Otherwise the old plan still stands:
Craven Tower Defenders
OEM Fogs
Clear Rear Fog Wired to Reverse
All around window tint (Except windshield since it's illegal in Maine)
ECS Aux In Kit
Stealth Mod for Air Box
Maybe Cabrio Braces... We will see.

Full exhaust would be nice, but with my budget / bills now it's hard for me to justify $400+ for a new cat back on my 10 year old 110k car... Especially with the potential of big money repairs in the future.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:49 AM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Here's a couple lightweight mods for the interior for $30;
Carbon shift **** and steering wheel trim wrap

Attached Thumbnails Lightweight Mods-image-1648695876.jpg  
Old 10-31-2014, 09:15 AM
AardHawk
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by astroBlackMetallic_Mini
get the anti mushrooming plates, and the cabrio braces. those $30 worth of braces was the MOST noticeable improvement i have yet to feel as far as bracing goes on the mini. easy cheese to install, no modding to do so (mostly), and you cant beat the $30-35 price tag!

spend your other money on a LOWER strut brace, like OMP. also an actual noticeable handling difference.
I agree with this post 100%. I haven't had problems with mushrooming but the other two mods make a huge difference. One thing you notice is that all the squeaks and rattles disappear, but you do get more understeer. I was thinking that changing the rear ARB lever arm would help, so I think donald-the-bonald's rear ARB mod makes a lot of sense. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Cooper-Anti-Roll-Sway-Bar-Tuning-Kit-EZ-Economical-Bolt-on-Mod-/191376597980?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2c8eef23dc I just want to say I have no affiliation with Donald and found this mod through the link posted further down ( or earlier if you see what I mean) this topic.

Last edited by AardHawk; 10-31-2014 at 09:24 AM.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:28 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Probably not getting rims. Mostly because the stock ones look pretty good and I won't be driving it during the winter.

No other mods yet. Maybe some winter projects. Started looking at the ECS Aux input kit for my stereo. I'm so sick of using an FM Transmitter and the 3 cables that come from it.

I got new front brakes I got Wearever ceramic brakes from Advanced Auto for like $15 for a set. I also had to get E-brake cables done (Not sure if I mentioned that.)

I also bought a red two hook for the front, but seeing how everybody makes fun about leaving a tow hook in all the time it's probably coming off.

Otherwise the old plan still stands:
Craven Tower Defenders
OEM Fogs
Clear Rear Fog Wired to Reverse
All around window tint (Except windshield since it's illegal in Maine)
ECS Aux In Kit
Stealth Mod for Air Box
Maybe Cabrio Braces... We will see.

Full exhaust would be nice, but with my budget / bills now it's hard for me to justify $400+ for a new cat back on my 10 year old 110k car... Especially with the potential of big money repairs in the future.

We have the aux kits right here:

http://www.ecstuning.com/News/MINI_Gen_1_Aux_Cable_Retrofit_Cooper_Base_Converti ble_S_JCW_2003_2004_2005_2006/

------------------------------------------------------------

And the ECS Gen 1 STP right here:

http://www.ecstuning.com/News/MINI_R50_R52_R53_Cooper_ECSStrutTowerPlates_2002_2 003_2004_2005_2006_2007_2008/

Install PDF linked under product info.

--------------------------------------------------------

Here is the Convertible add on braces: 51617123516KT

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/51617123516KT/

Have a great weekend.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 11-10-2014, 04:37 AM
CoolioMcPimp
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by AardHawk
I agree with this post 100%. I haven't had problems with mushrooming but the other two mods make a huge difference. One thing you notice is that all the squeaks and rattles disappear, but you do get more understeer. I was thinking that changing the rear ARB lever arm would help, so I think donald-the-bonald's rear ARB mod makes a lot of sense. Mini Cooper Anti Roll Sway Bar Tuning Kit EZ Economical Bolt on Mod | eBay I just want to say I have no affiliation with Donald and found this mod through the link posted further down ( or earlier if you see what I mean) this topic.
Thanks! I'll definitely look into it. I haven't researched the lower sway bar, but I'll look at some point.

Old 11-10-2014, 04:38 AM
CoolioMcPimp
2nd Gear
Thanks ECSTuning! I have those pages bookmarked as I type this. I plan on getting them sometime or another!

Old 11-10-2014, 01:43 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Thanks ECSTuning! I have those pages bookmarked as I type this. I plan on getting them sometime or another!

You are welcome. Thanks

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 12-02-2014, 11:55 AM
CoolioMcPimp
2nd Gear
ECS Vs Craven

I know the ECS strut tower plates are WAY cheaper than Craven right now (they are 15% off,) but has anyone had the ability to compare them against the Cravens? I heard after a few tightenings that the Cravens will remove existing shrooming. Is that the same case with ECS?

Old 12-02-2014, 12:12 PM
CoolioMcPimp
2nd Gear
Also maybe a dumb question, but is the JCW Supercharger any better than the S model Charger? I just saw that they were on ECSTuning as two different items.

Old 12-02-2014, 04:47 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Also maybe a dumb question, but is the JCW Supercharger any better than the S model Charger? I just saw that they were on ECSTuning as two different items.
yea, coated rotors equates to a slight hp boost.

Old 12-04-2014, 03:07 PM
minsanity
6th Gear
I know the ECS strut tower plates are WAY cheaper than Craven right now (they are 15% off,) but has anyone had the ability to compare them against the Cravens? I heard after a few tightenings that the Cravens will remove existing shrooming. Is that the same case with ECS?
They should function the same way. ECS knows MINI inside out.

Old 12-05-2014, 04:46 AM
CoolioMcPimp
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by minsanity
They should function the same way. ECS knows MINI inside out.
That's kind of what I was thinking too! I'm glad someone agrees!

Old 12-05-2014, 11:17 AM
CravenSpeed
Vendor
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
I can't say first hand how well they work, this was the first time I had heard ECS made plates. I can tell you why ours are worth more to you though; we maintained the thickness of the plate throughout. While the ECS plates are thin at the center ridges and attachment points, ours maintain thickness. This also requires a set of custom machined hardware to allow that to happen. We are running a free shipping code until Dec 9th, CRAVENSAVIN

Old 12-05-2014, 11:43 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Ours are 15mm thick and looks great and comes with special designed nut ( included in the kit ) that extends more into the threads much like the Factory JCW Strut tower nuts. We utilize a strong arch design at the ridge / fastener cavity and the plate is solid thick all the way through, check out the pics . We also have two finishes to meet your looks of your engine bay. We have the clear anodization ( silver version ) on the aluminium to protect but lets people see the machining work. Made in the USA.

See the ad above and link, it describes more of the characteristics, plus they look beautiful in the engine bay

Old 01-05-2015, 05:01 PM
CoolioMcPimp
2nd Gear
Bought Parts!

I did end up buying some parts!

I got:
Auxiliary Input CD Changer retrofit cable
Ski Rack Mount Covers x2
Gas Cap (To hopefully shut off my pesky engine light)
Cabrio Braces (For Fun)
Strut Tower Plates (To Prevent Alignment Issues with rough roads)

Sorry Kellen, ECS just had the price beat. Looking closely at the plates does make them appear as if they will do the job.

Only time will tell. Maybe I'll end up regretting it, but somehow I doubt it.

I'll let everyone know how it goes!

Old 01-05-2015, 05:09 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
I did end up buying some parts! I got: Auxiliary Input CD Changer retrofit cable Ski Rack Mount Covers x2 Gas Cap (To hopefully shut off my pesky engine light) Cabrio Braces (For Fun) Strut Tower Plates (To Prevent Alignment Issues with rough roads) Sorry Kellen, ECS just had the price beat. Looking closely at the plates does make them appear as if they will do the job. Only time will tell. Maybe I'll end up regretting it, but somehow I doubt it. I'll let everyone know how it goes!
Ecs is tough to beat for parts these days, keep it up!

Old 01-06-2015, 07:20 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Originally Posted by bavmotors
Ecs is tough to beat for parts these days, keep it up!
Awesome,

Thanks for the order , we appreciate it.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:23 AM
CoolioMcPimp
2nd Gear
Quick Question

Anyone know if you can do an airbox mod that doesn't involve going with the cone filter?

I would like more whine sound, but don't want to deal with cleaning a filter when it gets dirty. I'd rather just replace it with another paper filter when it gets dirty.

Has anyone modded the top half of the airbox with flexible tube so the panel filters still work? I've only seen the bottom modded with a POD filter added.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:37 AM
minsanity
6th Gear
There's always room for good vendors w/ quality products like ECS & Craven.

Your gas cap light might be caused by a faulty canister purge valve above your passenger engine mount. BMW uses Delphi but ACDelco has equivalent that's cheap & is being used by many other makes. About $20 or less.

Now that you've aux input, this hobo mod can add wireless bluetooth music streaming & calls to you stock headunit:
Amazon.com: Kinivo BTC455 Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit for Cars with Aux Input Jack (3.5 mm) - Supports aptX and Multi-point Connectivity: MP3 Players & Accessories Amazon.com: Kinivo BTC455 Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit for Cars with Aux Input Jack (3.5 mm) - Supports aptX and Multi-point Connectivity: MP3 Players & Accessories

Old 01-06-2015, 08:43 AM
minsanity
6th Gear
If your gas cap doesn't eliminate the fault, check this thread for purge valve:https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3412475

Old 01-06-2015, 09:00 AM
CoolioMcPimp
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by minsanity
There's always room for good vendors w/ quality products like ECS & Craven.

Your gas cap light might be caused by a faulty canister purge valve above your passenger engine mount. BMW uses Delphi but ACDelco has equivalent that's cheap & is being used by many other makes. About $20 or less.

Now that you've aux input, this hobo mod can add wireless bluetooth music streaming & calls to you stock headunit:Amazon.com: Kinivo BTC455 Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit for Cars with Aux Input Jack (3.5 mm) - Supports aptX and Multi-point Connectivity: MP3 Players & Accessories
At one point I was told I need a Fuel Vapor Leak Detection Pump, but that seemed unlikely to me. So I'm trying cheap fixes first. Rather than 200+ to fix a light essentially.

I'm hoping that it does fix it though.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:00 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Anyone know if you can do an airbox mod that doesn't involve going with the cone filter?

I would like more whine sound, but don't want to deal with cleaning a filter when it gets dirty. I'd rather just replace it with another paper filter when it gets dirty.

Has anyone modded the top half of the airbox with flexible tube so the panel filters still work? I've only seen the bottom modded with a POD filter added.
Drill holes in the Air box cover top facing the firewall, and enlarge the bottom hole half. that's really the only difference between a CAI and the stock air box, deletes the top half. then adds a cone filter, the cone filter itself wont create more noise

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Lightweight Mods