R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 installing new SC, can't get the M7 pulley of the old SC

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 01:53 AM
stevepb05s
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
installing new SC, can't get the M7 pulley of the old SC

Hi everyone,

Well my title is my question. My wife broke down 250 miles away from home, and it was the supercharger seizing at 105 miles. I just changed the oil in it 10k miles ago, so I guess when the seals go, they go regardless of oil quantity or quality. I did hear an odd rattle as she drove off on her trip, and noticed that it stopped burning a small amount of oil, which had been visible out the tail pipe. I should have done the math..

I am in luck and have a spare supercharger on the shelf (we both drive r53/52 with 105k)

I'm hoping to transfer the m7 pulley over, but I can't pull it off after removing the 4 bolts. I heated it with a torch and very lightly pried to see if I could separate the two halves, but not a budge.

Any tips, or will I be buying a new pulley ? :-)

Old 04-21-2014, 07:58 AM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
maybe try ICE on the SC shaft? shrink the metal, and then heat the pulley itself? also lots of PCB with gentle banging (not to the pulley, but the SC shaft since its toast anyway). just a thought!

Old 04-21-2014, 08:18 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
my suggestion....
hit the bolts on the pulley with a bit of HEAT...
they are USUALLY put on with some LOCKTITE (if a pro did the install)...and heat can soften it a bit....
Carefull....too much can go up the shaft and cook the seal on the SC...then again..it is junk....and will be replaced IF you decide to rebuild it.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:30 AM
stevepb05s
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
got it!

Hi guys. Thanks for the responses. It turns out it was much more simple (in theory) than I was making it. On the M7 pulley, there are two extra holes, that looked smooth on the inside to my aging eyes. These actually have threads, and allow bolts to be threaded down to pop the two halves apart.
No, they didn't pop apart right away. Yes I twisted an allen key.. then out came the trusty torch. There was no chance in rebuilding this sc since the lobes seized. The torch worked wonders.

Car is now back on the road! Now I need to figure out which wheel speed sensor is causing my triple light dilemma. Maybe I'll just change all 4...

:-)

Old 04-21-2014, 08:40 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by stevepb05s
Hi guys. Thanks for the responses. It turns out it was much more simple (in theory) than I was making it. On the M7 pulley, there are two extra holes, that looked smooth on the inside to my aging eyes. These actually have threads, and allow bolts to be threaded down to pop the two halves apart.
No, they didn't pop apart right away. Yes I twisted an allen key.. then out came the trusty torch. There was no chance in rebuilding this sc since the lobes seized. The torch worked wonders.

Car is now back on the road! Now I need to figure out which wheel speed sensor is causing my triple light dilemma. Maybe I'll just change all 4...

:-)
Might want to look at this item....for about $100 after you add the software for you mini...you can get ANY info out of the computer at the pro level...was once $$$$ to do this with items like Bavtec...
http://www.waymotorworks.com/easy-di...stic-tool.html
Easy Diag Bluetooth Diagnostic Scan Tool. This simple OBDII plug in EasyDiag tool plugs into the factory diagnostic connector then via bluetooth connects you your Android or Apple Device. The first time you use this tool you will need to go online and download the EasyDiag App and software for whatever make of car you want to use it on.
The software allows you to diagnosis Service Engine Check codes, SRS Airbag system, ABS system, Transmission codes, body modules, and more. This will also give you live data and color graphing.
We have also heard you can reset service lights with this tool. Below you will see a screenshot of an R56 MINI that shows the list of modules that the EasyDiag tool will communicate with and read codes, clear codes, and get data from.

Tool has to be ordered for your operating system and can't be used on a different system. Please select operating system below.

NOTE: This tool will ONLY give you generic OBD info until you download the Make specific software. That software will cost $40 per Make to download, this is NOT included with the tool. You can NOT return the tool for not understanding this, and it is not returnable once you register the tool as it will be registered to you.