R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 damn unmarked 4 way intersections

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 05:53 PM
rx7efini
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damn unmarked 4 way intersections

Just got into an accident they other day. I just got this mini 6 months ago. They think it will be repairable though so fingers crossed.
damn unmarked 4 way intersections-10262141_634830643233159_8394549934103825300_n.jpg

Old 04-17-2014, 05:58 PM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How is a 4 way unmarked? Year and mileage on the car will determine if the insurance company repairs it or totals it...that hood is pretty mangled...2-3k in damages at least

Old 04-17-2014, 06:13 PM
minibuddy
1st Gear
It's called an "UNCONTROLLED INTERSECTION" Each party involved in the accident is responsible for their own damages.

Yeah, it sucks.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:48 PM
ZIPPY "S"
6th Gear
Sorry to hear about your accident..You should be okay as far as it being totaled.. Long as there is no hidden damage. But it all comes down to how high the estimates are for the repair. Did you get any estimates yet?

Old 04-17-2014, 09:37 PM
rx7efini
Neutral
Originally Posted by minibuddy
It's called an "UNCONTROLLED INTERSECTION" Each party involved in the accident is responsible for their own damages.

Yeah, it sucks.
Actually according to Washington state law if it is an uncontrolled intersection the vehicle on the left must yield to the vehicle on the right. I was on the right and the other insurance has already claimed fault.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:38 PM
rx7efini
Neutral
They estimated repair cost would be $5200 but they already started ordering parts to fix it.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:03 PM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Originally Posted by minibuddy
It's called an "UNCONTROLLED INTERSECTION" Each party involved in the accident is responsible for their own damages. Yeah, it sucks.
Wow. I have never seen something like that..is it a very low speed area? Seems super dangerous

Old 04-18-2014, 04:29 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Kahnfucious
Wow. I have never seen something like that..is it a very low speed area? Seems super dangerous
Or rural, but yeah sounds like a poor man's roundabout...minus the round.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:39 AM
ERIK06MCS
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to hear about the damage but it doesn't look too bad. Airbags probably didn't even deploy, did they?

I've only ever come across an unmarked 4 way intersection once or twice and thought to myself 'how the heck are there no stop/yield signs?!'

Hope they get it fixed and back to you soon.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:11 AM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
There are two types of laws. One is criminal law which includes traffic laws which the police are concerned about. There is a law that the vehicle on the left must yield right of way to a vehicle on the right. If they fail to the police can and often do issue tickets.

The other law is civil law. That has to do with liability which is a little more vague than criminal laws. Often an insurance company will look at an accident like this with the attitude, that barring unusual circumstances, both drivers had an opportunity to see each other and both should have taken the necessary steps to avoid the collision. This can be muddled further by the fact that some states are 'no fault states' while some others are 'contributory negligence' states and yet others are 'comparative negligence' states. They all view negligence differently when it comes to whether or not one person is liable to another person for damages.

Perhaps ask your agent what the civil laws are in your state and find out what kind of exposure you do or don't have.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:25 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
The condensed version is called 'Rules of the Road'. It goes way back to horse and buggy and ships at sea. In States where people actually have to pass some sort of competency test to get a driver's license, there are often questions regarding situations as described by the OP. Mishaps like the OP's unfortunate accident can only get worse with more and more motor vehicle operators spending most of their time at what looks like smiling at their crotch...not saying the OP was so engaged but the likelihood of further instances by others is predictable.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:19 PM
rx7efini
Neutral
Originally Posted by ERIK06MCS
Sorry to hear about the damage but it doesn't look too bad. Airbags probably didn't even deploy, did they?

I've only ever come across an unmarked 4 way intersection once or twice and thought to myself 'how the heck are there no stop/yield signs?!'

Hope they get it fixed and back to you soon.
No the airbags didn't deploy I was probably only going about 20mph when I saw her and slammed on my brakes and veered right so I was probably only going 10mph or so when we hit. I don't think she saw me at all I didn't see her car brake at all..

Old 04-18-2014, 12:23 PM
rx7efini
Neutral
Originally Posted by whaap
There are two types of laws. One is criminal law which includes traffic laws which the police are concerned about. There is a law that the vehicle on the left must yield right of way to a vehicle on the right. If they fail to the police can and often do issue tickets.

The other law is civil law. That has to do with liability which is a little more vague than criminal laws. Often an insurance company will look at an accident like this with the attitude, that barring unusual circumstances, both drivers had an opportunity to see each other and both should have taken the necessary steps to avoid the collision. This can be muddled further by the fact that some states are 'no fault states' while some others are 'contributory negligence' states and yet others are 'comparative negligence' states. They all view negligence differently when it comes to whether or not one person is liable to another person for damages.

Perhaps ask your agent what the civil laws are in your state and find out what kind of exposure you do or don't have.
My agent and their agent both told me since I was on the right of her and I did slam on my brakes and try to avoid the accident I did what I could. If I had known it was an unmarked intersection then I would have shared fault for not yielding at the intersection. Its a really weird law IMO.

Old 04-18-2014, 02:10 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Glad I've never seen one of these "unmarked intersections" sounds very dangerous.