R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Greetings Mini Owners

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 03:30 PM
CaptnPT
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greetings Mini Owners

Just bought a 2004 Mini S today,
haven't had much time to enjoy yet and definately need to read the owners manual to decipher the buttons.
Already trying to come up with a remedy to hold my Ipod.
I assume Ebay is the best source for Bentley manuals?
Can I use my OBD2 code reader on the Mini or is there some "special" reader that would be recommended?
I was planning to use Royal Purple or Mobil 1 when oil service is due which brings me to the next question.
How many miles between changes? I ran 10,000 miles between changes on my 98 Beetle TDI an dit still runs fime with 300k on the odometer.
Thanks Pete

Old 04-12-2014, 06:22 PM
AlexQS
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Pete,

Welcome, and congrats on owning one of the funnest cars around.

Any OBD2 reader will work fine for "generic" codes related to engine or emissions. My Bentley manual explains that there are some other Specific to BMW/MINI codes. I haven't needed that yet. There's also of course various ABS codes and airbag lights that most code readers will not address. I believe a Scan Guage II can read and clear basic codes, would only be worth it if you wanted to use it for real time display when you're driving.

Mine has a little bin/cradle thing under the radio and controls just a little forward of the two cup holders and gear toggle. It looks like it's intended for sunglasses. I lay my iphone in there and it has never slid out even on very twisty roads at speed.

I suppose Amazon is good for the book. Be sure you get the later one that has the Diagnostic Without Gueswork section in the back. I got mine from WayMotorWorks.com

Do lots of reading. I change my Full Synthetic 5-30 Castrol every 6000 or 9000 miles. The factory recommendation was every 15000 miles (wow). I only use MINI Brand or Mann Brand oil filters. Get the belt tool, it's worth it (in my opinion, $80 seems a lot, but try to change the belt without it!). Careful with the Spark Plugs, a few have launched them out, ruining the threads in the cylinder head. Cold engine, torque wrench, you'll be fine, just be aware that the threads are softer than most. What else.... Um I changed my passenger side upper motor mount right after I got mine. I just did LCA Bushings too -they make a huge difference. When you change your oil, or get under the car for any reason , run the engine and turn on the AC. Look straight back from the oil drain plug, there's a little fan, make sure it runs when AC is on, and also the radiator fan should run with AC on. If not, don't get stuck in traffic on a hot day!

Have fun!

Alex

Old 04-12-2014, 07:00 PM
CaptnPT
Neutral
Cool thanks,
I use MANN tools for the BUG maintenance so I am accustomed to that brand.
Belt tool? for changing the supercharger belt? when is it scheduled to be changed?
I'll check with my supplier out in Utah, I think it's BORA parts, he's a nice guy and has pretty good pricing.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:01 PM
AlexQS
5th Gear
Yes a long handle L shaped tool to take the tension off the supercharger belt.

I think every 60,000 but I do mine annually because the belt is cheap, but if the belt breaks it can be expensive. No timing teeth on the belt, so it's really easy. An hour the first time, 20 minutes after you have learned the routine.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:01 PM
CaptnPT
Neutral
Good to know, I'll check the maintenance records to see if MINI changed it at 60k, the car has 88k now.
I just came up with a super cheap and easy method to mount my Ipod.
Bought at Mi-T grip phone/Ipod holder from the local RadioShack:
http://www.bracketron.com/mi-t-grip-dash-mount
Found the plastic cap from a spray paint can that matched the diameter of the cup holder in the MINI and also matches up with the base of the Mi-T grip.
Removed tape backing and secured the Mi-t grip to the spray can top. Fits snug in the drink holder and looks neat and clean with no fuss, no muss.
I'll try to take a picture tomorrow and upload.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:39 PM
AlexQS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by CaptnPT
Good to know, I'll check the maintenance records to see if MINI changed it at 60k, the car has 88k now.
I just came up with a super cheap and easy method to mount my Ipod.
Bought at Mi-T grip phone/Ipod holder from the local RadioShack:
http://www.bracketron.com/mi-t-grip-dash-mount
Found the plastic cap from a spray paint can that matched the diameter of the cup holder in the MINI and also matches up with the base of the Mi-T grip.
Removed tape backing and secured the Mi-t grip to the spray can top. Fits snug in the drink holder and looks neat and clean with no fuss, no muss.
I'll try to take a picture tomorrow and upload.

Oh wow! I like that a lot. Thank you for sharing. I'll have to get one!

I especially like your solution with the paint-can lid so that it can be removed without leaving behind any tape residue or holes in the car.

Awesome.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:06 PM
RogueMini
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
FYI guys: its pretty easy to make an R53 belt tool. It kills me that people are using a pry bar and a block of wood, or paying $70 to $100+ For a simple tool. I found some aluminum bar (1" x 1/4" cross section) laying around at work. I used 3 1/4-20 cap screws at the joint. A 1/4-20 bolt fits perfect in the hole in the tensioner. A power drill, a 1/4-20 tap, some loctite, a little filing, and you're done. It works perfect.

Last edited by RogueMini; 04-13-2014 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:57 PM
minsanity
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
You can change the belt safely w/o buying the pricey tool:
http://www.sunshineminis.org/forums/...?f=113&t=24665

Old 04-16-2014, 03:25 PM
CaptnPT
Neutral
Has anyone had good luck with the pdf version service manuals available on Fleabay?
I purchased one a few years ago for our other car and was not impressed.
Found a digital version of the BMW service manual and would like to know if anyone has utilized either manual version in comparison to the Bentley manual.
I have been foucusing on the latter issued manual with the diagnostic addition yet the DVD version BMW manual I found on Fleabay is rather inexpensive for a backup.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:27 PM
ageofoctane
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Found the plastic cap from a spray paint can that matched the diameter of the cup holder
Great idea! I just tried it with a cap i had. I used some double sided tape to stick my iphone cradle to the top of the cap. It wiggles a little bit since it's only resting and held in at the bottom, but not enough to break the connection or fall off unless there's a massive pot hole. Now I can charge my phone, play music on it, and see the screen and I never need to connect a wire.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:24 PM
CaptnPT
Neutral
Sorry I haven't taken a picture of my setup as of yet.
Stopped by Microcenter today and picked up a second Ipod/phone holder with a flexible extension to install into the opposite cupholder on the passenger side as they are useless as actual cup holders unless your drinking Redbull or V8 little cans.
With the flexible extension on the other side, I have the ability to run my dumb phone in the left holder and place my Ipod touch in the right holder which sits slightly higher and can be accessed without leaning over the shifter.
When time permits, I hope to build an aluminum bracket that mounts to the tach for GPS or whatever desired.
I like designing stuff like this to make life just a little less complicated.
What on Earth did we do with all our spare time before all these fancy gadgets arrived?
Pete