R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 XP Mode limited to 30mph

Old 01-19-2014, 06:18 AM
karmaxul
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XP Mode limited to 30mph

Hello I just imported a used mini that is in XP mode.

I did the adaption procedures though the mini seems to be stuck at 30mph though is redlining. It seems that once while doing it the car was going past 30mph though some one was pulling out so I had to slow down. Another time it seemed to be stuck at 30 for a few seconds then started to go faster all of a sudden though I had limited run way to do the adaption so I did not get much faster. In any case this seems strange.

I read some thing about a sticking primary valve, radio control motor fault or radio control motor wiring causing similar issues though I can not find any information.

Codes in the instrument cluster came back up basically saying nothing was communicating after they were reset and I took it for a drive.

The previous owner said he had put in a new battery and alternator and after it was in xp mode though before was working fine. He said he had some one reset the xp though after 40 miles it went back into it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Old 01-19-2014, 08:11 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Xp mode?? Imported from where? What spec...euro spec, north american spec? What year car? S, non s or one? You posted in the 2002-2006 gen1 section...but parts of your question makes it sound like a classic....
Think that means "limp mode"...but then rpms are limited....
It means there is a serious issue that the computer sees...could be a sensor or a physical issue...
My suggestion...plug into the odb2 port...pull a code...could be thousands of issues...just guessing till then.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:14 AM
karmaxul
1st Gear
It was sold in the United States. I am in Central America. Base model non S. It is a 2002.

It is saying it is not connecting with many things in the instrument cluster codes.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:26 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
CVT auto?
If so....scap it...try to get your money back....
Period. Tranny is junk. $6500 to fix...most gen1 coopers ( non s) in the us are junked for this reason...
Was part of a class action lawsuit....
The pulleys wear...and the belt fails. Pretty complicated. Rebuilds are not really done. Sorry.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:21 AM
karmaxul
1st Gear
Yes CVT auto. I saw the class action just now. The S have a different transmission?

Is there any way to know if the car is in xp if the transmission is bad? I can get a used transmission for under 2000 I here. If this is the case should I be looking for a 2006 plus transmission or one for an s model?

Old 01-19-2014, 10:13 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
New gen2 trannys and S auto is not compatible ...automatic trannys are so integrated in modern cars..that swap is not really doable..only real swap is take a 5 speed out of a cooper or 6 out of an s and reprogram the car...need lotsvof parts, so a wrecked doaner car is needed, then reprogram the computer to know it is a stick...but cost about the same as a tranny swap....
Not 100% sure the tranny is the issue...could be a bad computer on it...but sounds like so many other cvt issues...

A another used tranny might solve the issue... Then again the car it came from might have been junked for that reason...so it is risky....
I hope the car was free...
2002 coopers are basicly scrap value without a good tranny....slightly more with a good one...the 2002 cars (check the production date on the driver side door jamb) are often nonconforming production cars...and tend to have odd quirks...so often they are just parted out...especially the cvt ones...things like suspension parts are often not compatible with slightly newer late 2002 built mini's....so check the date of production...and decide if it is worth spending $$ on the car...

Old 01-19-2014, 10:41 AM
karmaxul
1st Gear
Many thanks I will see if I can run the codes to see if any come up. The bmw mechanic who was just here charged over 100 to let me show him how to do a cvt adaptation on his equipment though the local mechanic will likely read the codes for me for free.

I am hoping it is the computer as it happened, I am told, when the old battery died.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:47 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,135 Likes on 890 Posts
Zippy,
I have see some threads where the CVT has been replaced with a conventional automatic. I am pretty sure Way Motors has done this. But it is not cheap either. There are some computer reflashes that need to be done also, so if you are going to have it done, you will need have access to someone who can to the BMW reflashes. I have been following these thread as I also have a CVT MINI to worry about and someday may have to fix or replace.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:19 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
Zippy,
I have see some threads where the CVT has been replaced with a conventional automatic. I am pretty sure Way Motors has done this. But it is not cheap either. There are some computer reflashes that need to be done also, so if you are going to have it done, you will need have access to someone who can to the BMW reflashes. I have been following these thread as I also have a CVT MINI to worry about and someday may have to fix or replace.
I wish I could say you were right....
It has been asked....lots of times by folks who say they do not want to convert to a stick...
But I am sure it has not been done.....

To the op...
When the tranny starts to fail in the typical manner, the links on the belt start of break off...
So if you open up the tranny...and check for belt links... If you find any...get a new/different tranny. If you find none...you can then refill with fresh fluid...
The cvt...according To mini originally... Then changed...was it was "filled with lifetime fluid"...so it is a pain to refill....a couple diy's are around. Most folks that HAVR gotten long life out of a cvt drive it gently, and REGULARLY change the fluid....using the correct special cvt oil/lube.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:04 PM
karmaxul
1st Gear
Okay I finally got a version of INPA to work. Where do I see the codes?

Also when I choose engine there are two options. First is EMS2K for Pentagon and the second is DDE40 for W17. I think the W17 is diesel though I really don't know. Many thanks.

If i go in with EMS2K and hit F4 for error codes and then read codes nothing comes up.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:30 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
xP Mode is the mode for resetting CVT clutch and ratio adaptations. It does not mean the transmission detects a fault. Have you followed the procedure in this thread yet:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...aptations.html

Follow the procedure exactly first and see if xP disappears. There is a specific order that you must do things and drive the car as outlined there in order for the CVT to "relearn" the adaptations. If the battery is disconnected or dead for long enough, xP comes up because the adaptations have been lost. Its possible your transmission is fine.

"EP" is what would display if the CVT was giving a fault. You don't always see faults when these CVTs fail. With that said, sometimes a CVT is unable to relearn the adaptations and gets stuck in xP mode too.

As zippy mentioned, I do not think a conversion to a conventional automatic has ever been done coming from a CVT. The conversions you've likely heard of, of which mine is one, is to a getrag 6-speed manual.

EMS2K Pentagon is the one you want in INPA.

Also, the manufacturer of the CVT recommends fluid changes every 45000 km (about 28k miles). Dealer's or anyone else who say its lifetime aren't following the zf's own recommendation. Here's some good reading for you:

http://motoringfile.com/files/CVT_description.pdf

Old 01-25-2014, 07:37 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Also, although belt failure is one of the common failures, other more easily serviceable failures happen too.

I helped a guy here on NAM troubleshoot his which turned out to just be a speed sensor. Few hundred bucks and he's back on the road.

Mine had a failed stepper motor on the valve body, which I could have replaced without pulling the transmission for $500-600. I knew it would only be a temporary fix on a car I plan to keep forever, so I went ahead and did the 6-speed conversion.

My view on the CVT is not that it is particularly bad transmission, but that MINI simply does not train technicians in diagnosing and fixing what can go bad on it. Instead, they just replace the whole thing which is excessively expensive. If they could service it like many conventional transmissions are serviced, I wonder if the class action would have ever happened...

Old 01-26-2014, 04:17 AM
karmaxul
1st Gear
Thank you for your reply. I had a BMW tech come over though he had a generic OBD reader. I told him what needed to be reset though he did it on the computer. I had limited roadway and a person pulled out in front causing me to have to slow down though during this run I swear the car did not get stuck at 30mph. I am not sure if the clutch adaption values, cvt adaption values and shifting procedure need to be reset right before each run though when I went back to the beginning of the runway of sorts, I went through the gear shifting again and asked him to clear the clutch and CVT. I noticed he was only clearing one thing though he was telling me it was for both and once reset they would stay reset. In any case the car would not go past 30mph. I just downloaded INPA and got it to work. This was late last night and I have not tried the driving portion with this program yet. I hope to have a chance to do it today though want to make sure I am doing it right. Any ideas?

I bought the car in xp mode thinking it was just an adaption needed. He said it happened after he put in a new battery and alternator which I read is common to throw off adaption. I do see a new alternator in there. He also said a friend reset it for him though and everything was fine for like 40 miles until it just went back into xp mode.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:51 AM
karmaxul
1st Gear
I found a video on youtube that speaks on the CVT transmission. At 30 minutes and 45 second into the film they go into the Mini CVT transmission.

It speaks on the dual mass flywheel that can give some clicking or metallic noises. I do hear a noise from time to time I should not. Almost a vibrating noise

The video goes to about 37 minutes 30 seconds on the transmission.

This video does not have a part 2 though is good to see how to start pulling it apart.

Last edited by karmaxul; 01-26-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:59 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Originally Posted by karmaxul
Thank you for your reply. I had a BMW tech come over though he had a generic OBD reader. I told him what needed to be reset though he did it on the computer. I had limited roadway and a person pulled out in front causing me to have to slow down though during this run I swear the car did not get stuck at 30mph. I am not sure if the clutch adaption values, cvt adaption values and shifting procedure need to be reset right before each run though when I went back to the beginning of the runway of sorts, I went through the gear shifting again and asked him to clear the clutch and CVT. I noticed he was only clearing one thing though he was telling me it was for both and once reset they would stay reset. In any case the car would not go past 30mph. I just downloaded INPA and got it to work. This was late last night and I have not tried the driving portion with this program yet. I hope to have a chance to do it today though want to make sure I am doing it right. Any ideas?

I bought the car in xp mode thinking it was just an adaption needed. He said it happened after he put in a new battery and alternator which I read is common to throw off adaption. I do see a new alternator in there. He also said a friend reset it for him though and everything was fine for like 40 miles until it just went back into xp mode.
You really need to do the driving portion of the adaptations exactly as outlined in that thread before you even start thinking about tearing the transmission apart.

It will not exit xP mode until you follow the procedure exactly. It may feel like its only going to 30, but you have to keep accelerating and it will finally change the ratio - if there aren't any other problems with it. Make sure you reach the necessary top speed before coasting too.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:33 PM
karmaxul
1st Gear
Originally Posted by gknorr
You really need to do the driving portion of the adaptations exactly as outlined in that thread before you even start thinking about tearing the transmission apart.

It will not exit xP mode until you follow the procedure exactly. It may feel like its only going to 30, but you have to keep accelerating and it will finally change the ratio - if there aren't any other problems with it. Make sure you reach the necessary top speed before coasting too.
Okay so here is a bit of an update. I hooked up the INPA program and cleared the adaptions. I have a bit of a level runway in front of the house and the car only sat at 30 for a second before gaining in speed. I was not able to get up to 50 as the road was a bit short. I am not legally in this country until I get my passport updated and I do not speak much spanish so I am going to have to wait a bit of time to safely do the driving adaptation part though my hopes are looking up. When we were trying it before we drove for a ways and it was not going past 30 at all. Miles and miles. Up and down hills stuck at 30. I am thinking it is because the tech did not clear the clutch adaptation and only the cvt though who is to say. I hope to maybe go out in the middle of the night to try it.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:55 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Yup, middle of the night is the best time. Make sure you plan ahead to leave plenty of room to coast back to a stop. I used to do my adaptations at midnight on a side road not frequented at that time of night.

And, from the sounds of it, it looks hopeful since it did go over 30 for you for a little bit.

When it's stuck going 30, are the RPMs at 6k?

Old 01-28-2014, 02:50 PM
karmaxul
1st Gear
Originally Posted by gknorr
Yup, middle of the night is the best time. Make sure you plan ahead to leave plenty of room to coast back to a stop. I used to do my adaptations at midnight on a side road not frequented at that time of night.

And, from the sounds of it, it looks hopeful since it did go over 30 for you for a little bit.

When it's stuck going 30, are the RPMs at 6k?
Yes it is redlined. I have not got to doing it yet as I am up really early. Fingers crossed when I do. Yes it is redlining when stuck at 30mph. In the adaption menu there were a few other options besides the clutch and cvt reset. One had some thing to do with injectors though I did not want to go creating more problems then I already have.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:34 PM
karmaxul
1st Gear
Just got back from tryinv it. Maybe it matters if it cold or not tbrough no luck getting above 30. Maybe a computer issue as inpa does not seem fully functionable. Is anyone familiar with inpa? My tire pressure came on also though no tires seem low. Will not reset in inpa. Inpa says fail to connect on most memory errors and when trying to clear memory errors.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:41 AM
karmaxul
1st Gear
I am getting many IFH-0009 errors. I found this link that is helpful on this.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...king-help.html

Old 01-30-2014, 05:39 AM
gknorr
6th Gear
Just got back from tryinv it. Maybe it matters if it cold or not tbrough no luck getting above 30. Maybe a computer issue as inpa does not seem fully functionable. Is anyone familiar with inpa? My tire pressure came on also though no tires seem low. Will not reset in inpa. Inpa says fail to connect on most memory errors and when trying to clear memory errors.
Shouldn't matter if its cold for the adaptations.

Sounds like you may have INPA issues. I still wouldn't assume CVT is bad at this point given your circumstances. Best of luck sorting out the INPA issues.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:23 AM
karmaxul
1st Gear
No doubt. I plan on calling some Mini Dealerships today though I am not sure they will be willing to give me any advice. If I find out anything I will post it.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:53 AM
gknorr
6th Gear
No doubt. I plan on calling some Mini Dealerships today though I am not sure they will be willing to give me any advice. If I find out anything I will post it.
When's the last time the fluid was changed? If you could limp it to them, you could try having them change the fluid and they'll reset the adaptations for you too. It cost me a little less than $200 at my dealer, and it's one of the few times that it was actually worth paying that to the dealer. The fluid alone would run you probably $60-$90.

Very likely the dealers are just going to tell you it needs to be completely replaced. When CVTs start having problems, they jump quickly to that conclusion without much troubleshooting in my experience.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:13 AM
karmaxul
1st Gear
Thanks. I want to see if they have ISIS. I don't know where to get it myself though I just heard from Herb at http://www.europeantransmissions.com and he said if the adaption fails there should be error codes and ISIS will tell exactly what needs to be done. I am going to see if my girl can contact the dealer today. She knows some one associated with the Mini dealership in this country.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:23 PM
karmaxul
1st Gear
Still nothing though one thing I should mention is when I bring it up to 30 mph and then let my foot off the gas, at around 20 it feels like the car did a hard down shift though I never left first. Would this be a pressure or clutch issue possibly?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: R50/53 XP Mode limited to 30mph