Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical '06 MCS Replacement battery?

Old 09-09-2013, 10:12 AM
tomm9050
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 MCS Replacement battery?

I'm sure this has been answered elsewhere but I need a replacement battery for a first gen MCS (battery in the back.) Will the Optima 34R fit without any issues? Otherwise, what's the best replacement battery for a good fit and best value?

Thanks!

Old 09-09-2013, 10:16 AM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tomm9050
I'm sure this has been answered elsewhere but I need a replacement battery for a first gen MCS (battery in the back.) Will the Optima 34R fit without any issues? Otherwise, what's the best replacement battery for a good fit and best value?
I have said before the Optima fits in Artoo perfectly. NO issues and it is a GREAT battery.

If you live anywhere near and Advance Auto Parts there are all sorts of coupons out there. $50 off $100. 45% off. Search around for the best deal at the time of purchase. And their shipping is quick and the battery is packed well if you want it shipped but many of them have the 34R in stock.

///Rich

Old 09-09-2013, 10:32 AM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Old 09-09-2013, 10:40 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Rich.Wolfson
I have said before the Optima fits in Artoo perfectly. NO issues and it is a GREAT battery.

If you live anywhere near and Advance Auto Parts there are all sorts of coupons out there. $50 off $100. 45% off. Search around for the best deal at the time of purchase. And their shipping is quick and the battery is packed well if you want it shipped but many of them have the 34R in stock.

///Rich
+1
Got mine from Amazon...free shipping...ended up being the best for me...
But went that route cause my car sometimes can/Did sit at that point for a couple weeks at a time...and the design of the Optima/Orbital battery excels in that type of service.
For a daily driven mini, you could spend about half as much on a battery and be fine....just be sure it has a vent tube for conventional batteries...so it can be installed safely.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:07 AM
jpinkerton
1st Gear
The Bosch 47 found at PepBoys fits the r53 perfectly and has all appropriate vents, etc. I replaced the battery about 9 months ago and have had zero issues thus far.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:23 AM
mikeson
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know it is apple and orange question but which one is the best battery?

I saw many thread that discussed about which one is cheaper but want to know which one is the best?

Last edited by mikeson; 09-12-2013 at 07:54 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:39 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeson
I know it is apple and orange question but which one is the best battery?

I saw many thread that discussed about which one is cheaper but want to know which one is the best?
Depends....
The 34r is actually a bigger, heavier, higher capacity battery...
For some, that is a no-go...
for me, a battery that has the characteristics of the optima/orbital (competing similar battery), it was worth the extra $$....

In traditional flooded batteries, the positive and negative grids hang inside a box submerged in an acid solution. With AGM batteries, positive and negative plates are separated by an absorbent glass mat that holds the electrolyte like a sponge. This minimizes the potential for electrolyte spillage.
OPTIMA® AGM batteries also use a higher purity of lead than many other AGM and typical flooded cell batteries at 99.99% pure, virgin lead. This higher purity means fewer contaminants and a lower incidence of gassing, which extends battery life and increases performance.
The OPTIMA battery’s design advantages include lower internal resistance and greater plate area for superior starting power, the ability to recharge much faster, and higher voltage characteristics during discharge. And it’s virtually spillproof, whether it’s cracked or damaged. Also, OPTIMA AGM batteries withstand vibration like a champ.
OPTIMA batteries high performance AGM battery benefits:
Impressively high cranking characteristics in a small battery
Higher charge acceptance during recharges
Sealed maintenance-free design
Virtually spillproof
Shock and vibration resistant
More power per pound as compared to standard batteries
Long service life
http://www.optimabatteries.com/us/en...agm-batteries/

But it does come at a higher $$$..so decide.
Having a battery mounted INSIDE the car, this type of battery does have a few pluses.....for me, it was the way to go.
I have had ZERO issues, but some folks have said the quality seems to have changed with the company moving the plant from Colorado to Mexico....my battery is Mexican production, no issues.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:15 PM
tomm9050
3rd Gear
I'm thinking of going with this http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/9073731/

Bosch Premium Performance Battery Group Size 47

Part # 47-600B SKU: 9073731

Old 09-12-2013, 08:31 PM
animal1
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Battery

NO GAPS IN THE SPIRAL CORE SECTIONS. AGM MATERIALS FROM CORNER TO CORNER

Product Description DIEHARD AGM GOLD *

$148.00

More cranking power with the DieHard Gold 47 Battery
Long-lasting DieHard Gold size 47 Car Batteries are ideal for replacing your current car or truck battery. This all climate DieHard Advanced Gold battery features AGM technology that is designed to provide more power and longer life.
Featuring 2x the Cycle Life, the DieHard Gold 47 Battery performs throughout the life of the battery. And with faster recharging powers you'll always have enough power to get started and keep your car running.

• DieHard Gold Size 47 Car Batteries are built with an enhanced electronic suspension system that absorbs more electrolyte and protects internal components
  • Spill-proof Design provides added protection for sophisticated electronic equipment and your engine compartment
  • 20x More Vibration Protection (than regular Diehard batteries) safeguards battery performance over time
  • Flat-Plate AGM Design provides the most efficient use of internal volume for more power
  • More than 250 Quality Control Checks ensure the longest life and durability
  • Made in the USA
  • Backed by manufacturer's 36 month replacement warranty

Last edited by animal1; 09-12-2013 at 08:34 PM. Reason: CORRECTIONS
Old 09-13-2013, 12:18 AM
Cadenza
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There are very few big players left in the battery business. Optima used to be a great brand until it was taken over by Johnson Control who moved the factory to Mexico and began lowering its quality and chemistry around 2009-2010. Exide, who supplied OEM batteries to BMW/Mini, is in financial trouble. DEKA/EastPenn and Odyssey still produce their batteries in the US, both in their own names and for other independent labels. Odyssey batteries, I heard/read, are very high quality but their prices are steep.

Here's a thread I started at BITOG when I sought for advice on a new battery.

At the end, it was between O'Reilly's SuperStart Platinum AGM (47PLT) and DEKA (647MF). I found a DEKA at an independent, local auto-parts store. It was the best price for the quality, even cheaper than EverStart Maxx at Walmart (supplied by Johnson Control, made in China). AGM battery is nice but I don't need it due to the mild weather in SoCal. I rarely take my Mini on long trips and have AAA membership. If it lasts 7-8 years, I would be happy.

BTW, both AGM batteries - SuperStart Platinum AGM 47PLT (O'Reilley) and DieHard Advanced Gold AGM Group 47 (Sears) - are supplied by DEKA.

PS: the DEKA 647MF is about 1/4-1/2 inch shorter than the original battery even though their catalog says it's a direct fit. I folded up a terry cloth and placed it under the bracket.

Last edited by Cadenza; 09-13-2013 at 12:37 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:52 PM
JoeGravelle
3rd Gear
Watch for advanced auto coupons. I scored a big group 49 battery for one of my diesels for next to nothing. I think I had a $50 off coupon then there was a rebate on the battery for $60 or something. It was really great timing.

I'm way hong this thread since I think I may need a new battery and I don't feel like replacing the optima with another.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:26 PM
minibx
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tomm9050
I'm thinking of going with this http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/9073731/

Bosch Premium Performance Battery Group Size 47

Part # 47-600B SKU: 9073731
sorry to bump this thread but I just wanted to know if you went for this battery since I was about to get this from Pep Boys today until the told me that it would not fit, their computer says that I need the H5 and they have to order it.
Thanks in advance on any update info

Old 01-14-2014, 11:37 AM
mandd
1st Gear
Originally Posted by minibx
sorry to bump this thread but I just wanted to know if you went for this battery since I was about to get this from Pep Boys today until the told me that it would not fit, their computer says that I need the H5 and they have to order it.
Thanks in advance on any update info
I just replaced (in error) this exact battery in my 06. It fit perfectly, which is more than I can say for the Optima 34R I replaced it with. The Optima works, but the posts are a little tall.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:55 AM
minibx
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mandd
I just replaced (in error) this exact battery in my 06. It fit perfectly, which is more than I can say for the Optima 34R I replaced it with. The Optima works, but the posts are a little tall.
Thanks you so much for your reply, I'll try to buy one today or tomorrow

Old 02-03-2014, 06:43 AM
minibx
5th Gear
Ok so I replaced my duralast that came with my 05 not vented I guess the PO put it there, anyways as advised above I went with Bosch group 47 off the self at Pepboys for 116.99 minus $20.00 off because my 10% off coupon wasn't scanning so that's a great deal they will also give you 5.00 back for the old one but I didn't do that.

This was for an 05 MCS and it fits perfectly, brackets with no mod and vent tube as well

http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/9073731/00288/ I hope this helps someone else

Note that if you asked them to look it up on their computer it will say that this battery will NOT fit and that they have to order the correct one but this model fits in an S pretty well

Old 09-21-2014, 08:42 PM
rolla
1st Gear
Originally Posted by animal1
NO GAPS IN THE SPIRAL CORE SECTIONS. AGM MATERIALS FROM CORNER TO CORNER

Product Description DIEHARD AGM GOLD *

$148.00

More cranking power with the DieHard Gold 47 Battery
Long-lasting DieHard Gold size 47 Car Batteries are ideal for replacing your current car or truck battery. This all climate DieHard Advanced Gold battery features AGM technology that is designed to provide more power and longer life.
Featuring 2x the Cycle Life, the DieHard Gold 47 Battery performs throughout the life of the battery. And with faster recharging powers you'll always have enough power to get started and keep your car running.

• DieHard Gold Size 47 Car Batteries are built with an enhanced electronic suspension system that absorbs more electrolyte and protects internal components
  • Spill-proof Design provides added protection for sophisticated electronic equipment and your engine compartment
  • 20x More Vibration Protection (than regular Diehard batteries) safeguards battery performance over time
  • Flat-Plate AGM Design provides the most efficient use of internal volume for more power
  • More than 250 Quality Control Checks ensure the longest life and durability
  • Made in the USA
  • Backed by manufacturer's 36 month replacement warranty

sorry to revive an old thread, but i just want to confirm that this battery will or will not fit my 2006 MCS before I commit to buying...thanks guys.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:08 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
OEM one lasted almost 7 yrs.....New Optima Red top last two and always started rather crappy. Advance Auto would not take it back under their bogus warranty since the battery is "designed" to keep a charge even when it wont start the car.

Go OEM, may be a bit more but you get what you pay for and it FITS..

Old 10-28-2014, 06:30 AM
BRGPA
4th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Sorry if this is too late, but I put a Sears AGM 47 in my '03 S some months ago and it fit like a glove. Works perfectly. I ordered during an online sale and saved $33 after asking in the store and told they couldn't match that price. I picked up the very same battery there later that day!

Old 10-28-2014, 10:39 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Great keep us posted. Sears batteries are pretty good, but I am not a fan of any of the new AGM batteries. Shelf / Storage / Use life is not what it's cracked up to be....