R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Can anyone tell me what this is for?

Old 07-03-2013, 05:02 AM
TMD3500
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone tell me what this is for?

I was looking at my belt the other day and noticed that this torx bolt was barely in place and really loose. Almost like it was going to fall out. Can anyone tell me it's purpose? Timing chain cover? Its between the tensioner and supercharger pulley. I can't seem to figure it out. Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Can anyone tell me what this is for?-image.jpg  
Old 07-03-2013, 09:52 PM
plod
1st Gear
Looks like this thread has a bunch of views but no replies... sorry, I can't help you either but, free bump!

Commiseration: One of my torx bolts has the same issue (top right intercooler diverter/cover bolt). Won't catch at all, moves in and out of the hole freely. At least it's not essential :/

Old 07-03-2013, 10:08 PM
BSTINS
2nd Gear
Looks to be apart of the timing chain cover. I believe it is #8 in the diagram. Torx M6X20

Old 07-04-2013, 04:43 AM
TMD3500
1st Gear
Originally Posted by plod
Looks like this thread has a bunch of views but no replies... sorry, I can't help you either but, free bump!

Commiseration: One of my torx bolts has the same issue (top right intercooler diverter/cover bolt). Won't catch at all, moves in and out of the hole freely. At least it's not essential :/
Thank you. I'm hoping it doesn't come out after being tight. The only way to tighten it fully is maybe a swivel attachment or taking off the wheel and wheel liner it seems.

Originally Posted by BSTINS
Looks to be apart of the timing chain cover. I believe it is #8 in the diagram. Torx M6X20
Thanks BSTINS! That's what I was thinking. Just wasn't 100% sure. Definitely looks like #8. If it comes out again maybe ill put a little thread lock on it.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:37 AM
AlexQS
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TMD3500

The only way to tighten it fully is maybe a swivel attachment or taking off the wheel and wheel liner it seems.
I haven't tried this to see if it will work (on that bolt). I remember it was tight in there when I changes the bushings on my tensioner/damper, But, I have some different torx sockets, etc. I also have some that are not sockets, they're more like screw driver bits. If you had one that were short enough, you could maybe fit the bit in the bolt, then turn it with an open or box end wrench.

Search this Thread