R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Should i trade my mini for a 135i?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 06:02 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I've had two R53s and currently have a 135i. All highly modded. The 135i is freak-your-buddies-out fast (451hp, 480ft/lbs), and has better build and material quality. Even with all of that performance and functionality, it doesn't stir my soul. It's a great shop demonstrator car, but I don't daydream about it. The R53 is a visceral little $41T box which has that intangible appeal. If yours is in good shape, keep it going.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:07 AM
SSSSSSSS
Coordinator :: M2C2
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's a guy in our club that bought a new 135i when they came out. Last month he bought a new Coupe JCW and a GP. I never see him driving the bimmer, just the Minis. Not everybody's option but it is a statement.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:01 AM
Miami
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Never drove a 135i but I once owned a 335i. I had a 05 R53 for several years. Got rid of it and picked up the 335i, which I modded with the JB chip and intakes. Definitely VERY fast. After a few months, going very fast got boring (and not very practical/safe). I sold it and got another R53

The bimmer is fast, luxurious, smooth, and handles pretty well. It has more of a numb driving feeling, though, which I did not like. It also was less reliable (HPFP failures, other issues, etc.) resulting in several dealership visits. The Logic7 sound system was incredible.

I actually think the build quality of the R53's interior is superior to the BMWs. After a few months of ownership, I had paint peeling off of the center console, the leather on the steering wheel was coming undone, and half of the A/C vent adjusters had broken off.

The R53 is definitely more engaging to drive. The 335 felt like a PS3 with four wheels, luxury, and tons of torque.

If I had the choice between the two, I would pick the R53.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:24 AM
Frozone
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wait for the 2-series. The E82 is long in the tooth.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:11 AM
Jaydavid
3rd Gear
Wow helix13 ur cars are amazing look like full out assult vehicals well done !

Old 07-02-2013, 11:15 AM
Jaydavid
3rd Gear
As far as the two series goes i looked into them but i wouldnt buy one new too expensive id have to wait a few years for them too depreciate a little

Old 07-02-2013, 11:41 AM
speck47
1st Gear
I had a 2007 cooper s. When my lease was up I traded to a 135i and just traded back to a Mini S. I guess I'm uniquely qualified to put in my two cents. I enjoyed driving the 135i, but it didn't have the spark of the MINI. The Mini is just more fun day to day, where as once the novelty of the 135i wore off, it was just a car with a really nice range of power (and the ability to totally flip out the back end). I went back to Mini because I missed it. Its been a month and I've been smiling ever since. Its all a matter of personal preference though. The BMW is a touch more refined - although still not great over potholes - with greater power and all the benefits of rear wheel drive.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:09 PM
Jaydavid
3rd Gear
If only the minis came with rwd or awd id be 100% smitten with them seems like everyone feels that no amount of power makes up for the fun and smiles u can get in the mini. Even driving to work everyday is the highlight of my day nothing quite like the feel of a six speed attached to the road in the mini

Old 07-03-2013, 05:25 AM
Spin06MCS
1st Gear
Originally Posted by joylove
Get ten large in the bank, commit to saving 200 a month into you pension, 500 a month into your house fund, then think about a car. If you are quite young, that feeling you get when you have enough money in the bank to not be broke at the end of the month and begging for the next pay period is as good as the one you felt when you first got debt free.
Truth right here. Get $, Get a house.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:27 AM
christianmc
2nd Gear
I'm going to give you some old fogy advice. You are twenty years old, and you have a car that entertains you. You are going to come into a little more money with a better job, so start saving, and start investing. You may get to a point where you can have a garage full of toys with good planning, but as you've pointed out, it's not practical now.

I say keep the car, budget yourself for a few more mods on the mini now if you want to, but keep the extra cash and plan for the future. What's the rush? The 135i will always be there if you still want one down the road.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:19 AM
mandd
1st Gear
opposites...

I came the other direction. I've had a 335 for 6 years. I went to an 06 MCS mainly for financial reasons. And I have to say, I miss the 335. I do like the MINI and have lots of plans for it...but there are some things I definitely miss. The BMW had great seats--the MCS seats (lounge leather, but others felt largely the same) seem like they would be great if I weighed 300 lbs. I don't. So I slide around in them a lot. I hate that.
The 335 had a great stereo. The H/K system is...okay.
The 335 (Vishnu equipped) was fast. The MCS is adequate (again, I have plans--it is completely stock right now. I've only had it 3 weeks).
The interior of the 335 was a lot higher quality. There are all sorts of plastic bits in the MINI that creak when you grab them and make noise over sharp bumps. The 335 was solid. Materials were of higher apparent quality--everything was nicer to touch. Except the leather. The 'Dakota leather that BMW uses is crappy, hard leather. The lounge leather is nicer. I just wish the seat were narrower.
And there is no end to the things you can do to the 335/135. And I am finding the prices for things on the mini are comparable, which surprised me.
But the MINI is more fun. It is more visceral and engaging.
It is much more stylish.
It gets 25%-50% better gas mileage.

I realize you are looking at a 135, but they really are the same car. The weight difference isn't much, same chassis, same engine. So I think everything applies to the 135 as well.
My experience with the 335 was stellar. In over 6 years I had not a single issue. I bought an extended warranty and never used it. A complete waste of money. But I realize that isn't always the case.

It sounds like I'm telling you to go for the Bimmer, but I'm not. Because of the intangibles--the emotional. That's what the mini has. The BMW is an impressive, excellent car--engineered to perfection. But I'm guessing that most of us want something else--something intangible. Italian cars often have it amid all of their flaws. It's something that makes you want drive just for the fun of it.
The MINI is a puppy. The BMW is a dog. Who doesn't love puppies?

Old 07-03-2013, 08:30 PM
Jaydavid
3rd Gear
You drive a hard point mandd as appeling as the bimmer might be it only tool watchin videos of tuned up slammed and lowered minis on youtube to remind me why i love it so much. it just reassures me of part if the reason i got a mini in the first place. Just how customizeable and how cool of a tuner scene the minis actully have . The bimmer just doesnt have tht diversity or cool factor!

Old 07-04-2013, 04:57 AM
ASKtheteach
5th Gear
Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by christianmc
i'm going to give you some old fogy advice. You are twenty years old, and you have a car that entertains you. You are going to come into a little more money with a better job, so start saving, and start investing. You may get to a point where you can have a garage full of toys with good planning, but as you've pointed out, it's not practical now.

I say keep the car, budget yourself for a few more mods on the mini now if you want to, but keep the extra cash and plan for the future. What's the rush? The 135i will always be there if you still want one down the road.
+1

Old 07-04-2013, 05:29 AM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 200 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by ASKtheteach
+1
+2
Spot-on advice. Having owned over 2 dozen Bimmers, mostly M-cars, I feel fairly qualified to state that the current range of BMW's are heavy and lack "soul". Your '05 MCS is already considered to be a "best-of-breed" and highly-regarded vehicle. You would be bored in the 135i after a few months and, after the warranty (if any), would be a money pit.